Table of Contents
The East Carolina Pirates and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers will meet for the Ticketsmarter Birmingham Bowl. The matchup is at 6:45 PM ET on December 27, 2022, and airs on ESPN.
The Chanticleers are expected to lose (currently +9.5) against the Pirates (with an over/under of 59.5 points).
Game Info and Betting Lines for East Carolina vs. Coastal Carolina
- Game Day: Tuesday, December 27, 2022
- Game Time: 6:45 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Location: Birmingham, Alabama
- Stadium: Protective Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
East Carolina Betting Insights
- Coastal Carolina’s ATS record is 4-8-0 this season.
- Coastal Carolina is 0-1 against the spread when an underdog by 9.5 points or more this year.
- Out of Coastal Carolina’s 12 games with a set total, seven have hit the over (58.3%).
East Carolina Stats & Insights
- East Carolina has the 96th-ranked defense this season (410.9 yards allowed per game), and has been better on the other side of the ball, ranking 24th-best with a tally of 459.0 yards per game.
- East Carolina is averaging 30.8 points per game on offense, which ranks them 47th in the FBS. On defense, the defense ranks 72nd, giving up 27.0 points per contest.
- East Carolina has struggled defensively against the pass, ranking worst in the FBS (299.5 passing yards allowed per game) this season. However, the Pirates rank 16th-best on the other side of the ball, totaling 288.5 passing yards per game.
- East Carolina has the 53rd-ranked offense this year in terms of rushing yards (170.5 per game), and has been better defensively, ranking 19th-best with only 111.4 rushing yards allowed per game.
- While East Carolina ranks 24th-worst in the FBS in third-down efficiency on defense with a 42.6% third-down conversion rate allowed, it’s been a different story offensively, where the Pirates rank 20th-best in the FBS (46.5% third-down percentage).
- With 16 forced turnovers (60th in the FBS) against seven turnovers committed (third in the FBS), East Carolina’s +9 turnover margin is the 10th-best in college football.
East Carolina’s Best Players
- Holton Ahlers has thrown for 3,415 yards (284.6 ypg) to lead East Carolina, completing 67.1% of his passes and tossing 23 touchdown passes compared to five interceptions this season. He’s also figured in the ground game with 125 rushing yards on 64 carries with five rushing touchdowns.
- Keaton Mitchell has racked up 1,325 yards on 179 carries while finding the end zone 13 times. He’s also caught 25 passes for 237 yards (21.5 per game) and one touchdown through the air.
- Marlon Gunn Jr. has carried the ball 68 times for 344 yards (34.4 per game).
- Isaiah Winstead has hauled in 82 catches for 1,008 yards (84.0 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. He’s found the end zone four times as a receiver.
- C.J. Johnson has caught 60 passes for 933 yards (77.8 yards per game) and nine touchdowns this year.
- Ryan Jones has racked up 41 receptions for 413 yards, an average of 37.5 yards per game. He’s scored four times as a receiver this season.
- Chad Stephens has collected two sacks to lead the team, while also picking up seven TFL and 32 tackles.
- East Carolina’s leading tackler, Julius Wood, has 75 tackles and two interceptions this year.
- Jireh Wilson has picked off a team-high three passes. He also has 48 tackles, four TFL, and three passes defended to his name.
Coastal Carolina Betting Insights
- So far this season, Coastal Carolina has put together a 4-8-0 record against the spread.
- Coastal Carolina has not yet covered the spread as underdogs of 9.5 points or more this season (0-1).
- Coastal Carolina games have gone over the point total in seven out of 12 opportunities (58.3%).
Coastal Carolina Stats & Insights
- Coastal Carolina ranks 47th with 410.8 total yards per game on offense, and it ranks 97th with 412.3 total yards given up per contest on the defensive side of the ball.
- Coastal Carolina is putting up 29.1 points per game on offense this season (61st-ranked). Meanwhile, it is allowing 30.1 points per contest (101st-ranked) on defense.
- Coastal Carolina’s defense has been bottom-25 in pass defense this season, surrendering 281.7 passing yards per game, which ranks eighth-worst in the FBS. On the offensive side of the ball, it ranks 51st with 249.0 passing yards per contest.
- With 161.8 rushing yards per game on offense, Coastal Carolina ranks 59th in the FBS. On defense it ranks 39th, surrendering 130.7 rushing yards per contest.
- With a 42.9% third-down conversion rate on offense, Coastal Carolina ranks 35th in the FBS. Defensively, it ranks 93rd, surrendering a 41.4% third-down rate.
- Coastal Carolina has produced 19 forced turnovers this season and have turned the ball over 12 times, leading to a +7 turnover margin, which ranks 20th-best in the FBS.
Coastal Carolina’s Best Players
- Grayson McCall leads Coastal Carolina with 2,633 yards on 197-of-285 passing with 24 touchdowns compared to two interceptions this season. He has chipped in with 183 rushing yards (18.3 ypg) on 87 carries while scoring five touchdowns on the ground.
- CJ Beasley has rushed for 702 yards on 135 carries so far this year while scoring four times on the ground. He’s also tacked on 19 catches, totaling 183 yards and one touchdown in the passing game.
- Reese White has totaled 487 yards on 88 carries with four touchdowns.
- Sam Pinckney paces his squad with 917 receiving yards on 67 catches with three touchdowns.
- Jared Brown has put up a 782-yard season so far with six touchdowns. He’s caught 47 passes on zero targets.
- Tyson Mobley’s 36 grabs (on zero targets) have netted him 478 yards (39.8 ypg) and five touchdowns.
- Adrian Hope has collected five sacks to lead the team, while also recording six TFL and 28 tackles.
- J.T. Killen, Coastal Carolina’s top tackler, has 79 tackles, three TFL, and two sacks this year.
- Tavyn Jackson has picked off a team-high two passes. He also has 26 tackles and three passes defended to his name.