Table of Contents
The Southern Miss Golden Eagles and the Rice Owls meet for the Lendingtree Bowl on December 17, 2022, with kickoff at 5:45 PM ET, airing on ESPN.
The Golden Eagles are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-6), versus the Owls. The over/under for this game is 46.5 points.
Game Info and Betting Lines for Southern Miss vs. Rice
- Game Day: Saturday, December 17, 2022
- Game Time: 5:45 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Location: Mobile, Alabama
- Stadium: Hancock Whitney Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
Southern Miss Betting Insights
- Rice is 7-5-0 against the spread this year.
- Rice is 4-3 against the spread when an underdog by 6 points or more this season.
- The teams have hit the over in eight of Rice’s 12 games with a set total.
Southern Miss Stats & Insights
- Southern Miss ranks 25th-worst in total offense (331.8 yards per game), but has played slightly better on defense, ranking 56th with 367.7 yards allowed per contest.
- Southern Miss ranks 94th in scoring offense (24.3 points per game) and 43rd in scoring defense (23.5 points allowed per game) this season.
- Southern Miss is totaling 209.1 passing yards per game on offense, which ranks them 93rd in the FBS. The defense ranks 72nd, surrendering 225.4 passing yards per contest.
- From an offensive standpoint, Southern Miss ranks 104th in the FBS with 122.7 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, the defensive unit ranks 50th in rushing yards allowed per contest (142.3).
- While Southern Miss’ third-down defense ranks 52nd with a 36.8% third-down conversion rate allowed per game, the offense has been worse, ranking 24th-worst with a 34.3% third-down conversion rate.
- Southern Miss ranks 100th in college football with a -4 turnover margin after forcing 19 turnovers (27th in the FBS) while committing 23 (121st in the FBS).
Southern Miss’ Best Players
- Zach Wilcke has 1,163 passing yards for Southern Miss, completing 57.4% of his passes and throwing nine touchdowns and nine interceptions this season.
- The team’s top rusher, Frank Gore Jr., has carried the ball 207 times for 1,053 yards (87.8 per game), scoring seven times. He’s also caught 19 passes for 219 yards.
- Janari Dean has carried the ball 58 times for 179 yards (19.9 per game) and three touchdowns.
- Jason Brownlee has hauled in 52 catches for 819 yards (68.3 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. He’s found the end zone seven times as a receiver.
- Jakarius Caston has caught 27 passes for 352 yards (44.0 yards per game) and four touchdowns this year.
- Tiaquelin Mims has been the target of zero passes and racked up 22 catches for 350 yards, an average of 43.8 yards per contest. He’s found the end zone two times through the air this season.
- Dominic Quewon leads the team with seven sacks, and also has eight TFL, 16 tackles, and one interception.
- Malik Shorts is the team’s top-tackler this year. He’s amassed 99 tackles, one TFL, and three interceptions.
- Jay Stanley leads the team with four interceptions, while also putting up 55 tackles, three TFL, one sack, and six passes defended.
Rice Betting Insights
- Rice’s ATS record is 7-5-0 this year.
- Rice has a 4-3 record against the spread this season when an underdog by 6 points or more.
- Rice games have hit the over in eight out of 12 opportunities (66.7%).
Rice Stats & Insights
- Rice is generating 370.0 total yards per contest on offense this season (81st-ranked). Meanwhile, it is allowing 377.1 total yards per contest (69th-ranked).
- Rice ranks 85th in points per game (25.3), but it has been less productive defensively, ranking 13th-worst in the FBS with 33.8 points ceded per contest.
- Rice ranks 70th in the FBS with 227.1 passing yards per game on offense, and it ranks 45th with 210.3 passing yards given up per contest on the defensive side of the ball.
- Rice ranks 75th in the FBS with 142.9 rushing yards per contest on offense, and it ranks 90th with 166.8 rushing yards ceded per game on defense.
- Rice is posting a 42.4% third-down conversion percentage on offense this season (39th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is surrendering a 41.6% third-down rate (94th-ranked) on defense.
- Rice sports a -15 turnover margin this season, which ranks 100th in the FBS.
Rice’s Best Players
- TJ McMahon has 2,102 passing yards, or 210.2 per game, so far this season. He has completed 60.2% of his passes and has collected 18 touchdowns with 14 interceptions. He’s also contributed on the ground with 15.2 rushing yards per game while scoring as a runner three times.
- Cameron Montgomery has rushed for 498 yards on 86 carries so far this year.
- Juma Otoviano has run for 391 yards across 65 attempts, scoring one touchdown.
- Brad Rozner has registered 41 catches this season and his team-high yardage total sits at 834 (69.5 yards per game). He’s been targeted zero times and has nine touchdowns.
- Luke McCaffrey has put together a 656-yard season so far with six touchdowns. He’s caught 51 passes on zero targets.
- Isaiah Esdale’s zero targets have resulted in 39 receptions for 461 yards.
- Trey Schuman has racked up four sacks to lead the team, while also recording five TFL and 22 tackles.
- Chris Conti is the team’s leading tackler this year. He’s racked up 66 tackles, four TFL, and one sack.
- Myron Morrison has a team-high two interceptions to go along with 64 tackles, five TFL, one sack, and two passes defended.