Table of Contents
The Los Angeles Chargers (10-6) head into a matchup against the Denver Broncos (4-12) on Sunday, January 8, 2023 at Empower Field at Mile High on a four-game winning streak.
The Chargers are totaling 22.7 points per game on offense (13th in NFL), and they rank 18th on defense with 22.1 points allowed per game. The Broncos have been sputtering on offense, ranking worst in the NFL with 16 points per game. They have been more effective on the other side of the ball, surrendering 20.7 points per contest (10th-ranked).
Chargers vs. Broncos Picks
The Broncos are projected by BetterPool users to both cover the spread and win straight up as underdogs against the Chargers on Sunday. Currently, 13.4% of users are choosing them to win the game and 66.7% have picked the Broncos to cover the 3.5-point spread.
For all your best pick data from America’s #1 independent pool site, head here.
Game Info: Chargers vs. Broncos
- Game Day: Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Game Time: 4:25 PM ET
- Location: Denver, Colorado
- Stadium: Empower Field at Mile High
Los Angeles is a 3.5-point favorite over Denver on Sunday and the over/under is set at 40 points. Here’s a few betting trends and insights to help you make an informed wager on the game.
Betting Insights for Chargers
- So far this season, the Chargers have compiled a 10-5-1 record against the spread.
- The Chargers have a 4-3 record against the spread this season when favored by 3.5 points or more.
- Chargers games with a set total have hit the over six times this season (37.5%).
Stats & Insights for Chargers
- On offense, the Chargers rank 10th in the NFL with 359.8 yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 19th in total defense (338.3 yards allowed per contest).
- On offense, the Chargers rank 13th in the NFL with 22.7 points per game. Meanwhile, they rank 18th in points allowed (338.3 points allowed per contest).
- The Chargers rank sixth in pass defense this season (196.3 passing yards allowed per game), but they’ve been thriving on the offensive side of the ball, ranking fifth-best in the NFL with 268.2 passing yards per game.
- The Chargers rank third-worst in rushing offense (91.6 rushing yards per game), but they’ve been better on defense, ranking 27th with 142.1 rushing yards allowed per contest.
- The Chargers are posting a 43.2% third-down percentage on offense, which ranks them eighth in the NFL. On the defensive side of the ball, they rank 16th, giving up a 39% third-down conversion rate.
- The Chargers are putting up 5.5 yards per play on offense, which ranks them 20th in the NFL. On defense, they rank 27th, allowing 6 yards per play.
- With 22 forced turnovers (12th in NFL) against 17 turnovers committed (third in NFL), the Chargers (+5) have the sixth-ranked turnover margin in the league.
Best Players for Chargers
- Justin Herbert: 4,466 PASS YDS / 279.1 YPG / 68.3% / 23 TD / 10 INT
- Austin Ekeler: 193 CAR / 881 YDS / 55.1 YPG / 13 TD / 103 REC / 686 YDS / 42.9 YPG / 5 TD
- Joshua Kelley: 64 CAR / 269 YDS / 22.4 YPG / 2 TD / 13 REC / 95 YDS / 7.9 YPG / 0 TD
- Mike Williams: 59 REC / 863 YDS / 71.9 YPG / 4 TD
- Josh Palmer: 68 REC / 730 YDS / 48.7 YPG / 3 TD
- Khalil Mack: 48 TKL / 11 TFL / 8 SACK / 2 PD
- Drue Tranquill: 136 TKL / 9 TFL / 5 SACK / 1 INT / 4 PD
- Bryce Callahan: 47 TKL / 2 TFL / 3 INT / 6 PD
Betting Insights for Broncos
- The Broncos are 7-9-0 against the spread this year.
- The Broncos are a perfect 4-0 against the spread when an underdog by 3.5 points or more this year.
- Five of the Broncos’ 16 games with a set total have hit the over (31.2%).
Stats & Insights for Broncos
- The Broncos rank 24th with 316 total yards per contest on offense, and they rank sixth with 318 total yards allowed per game on the defensive side of the ball.
- The Broncos’ offense has been a bottom-five unit this season, generating 16 points per game, which ranks worst in the NFL. Defensively, they rank 10th with 20.7 points allowed per contest.
- The Broncos are accumulating 207.9 passing yards per contest on offense this season (19th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are allowing 205.1 passing yards per contest (11th-ranked) on defense.
- The Broncos rank 22nd in the NFL with 108.1 rushing yards per contest on offense, and they rank 12th with 112.9 rushing yards ceded per contest on defense.
- On the offensive side of the ball, the Broncos are bottom-five on third down, producing a 28.4% third-down conversion rate (worst). On the bright side, they are thriving on the other side of the ball, allowing a 33% third-down rate (second-best).
- In terms of yards per play, the Broncos’ defense has been leading the way for the team, as they rank second-best in the NFL with 5.3 yards ceded per play. In terms of offense, they are putting up 5.4 yards per play, which ranks 24th.
- With 21 forced turnovers (13th in NFL) and 22 turnovers committed (23rd in NFL) this season, the Broncos rank 17th in the NFL with a turnover margin of -1.
Best Players for Broncos
- Russell Wilson: 3,241 PASS YDS / 231.5 YPG / 60.8% / 13 TD / 10 INT / 47 CAR / 259 RUSH YDS / 3 TD
- Latavius Murray: 156 CAR / 657 YDS / 54.8 YPG / 5 TD / 26 REC / 117 YDS / 9.8 YPG / 0 TD
- Jerry Jeudy: 62 REC / 818 YDS / 58.4 YPG / 6 TD
- Courtland Sutton: 61 REC / 796 YDS / 56.9 YPG / 1 TD
- Kendall Hinton: 24 REC / 311 YDS / 25.9 YPG / 0 TD
- DeShawn Williams: 37 TKL / 4 TFL / 4.5 SACK / 3 PD
- Alex Singleton: 141 TKL / 6 TFL / 3 PD
- Justin Simmons: 59 TKL / 2 TFL / 6 INT / 7 PD