Table of Contents
On Saturday at 7:00 PM ET, the Arkansas State Red Wolves (1-2) will host the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (1-2).
The Golden Eagles are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-6), against the Red Wolves. The over/under for this matchup is 48.5 points.
Game Info for Southern Miss vs. Arkansas State
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN+
- Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
- Stadium: Centennial Bank Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
Southern Miss Pick Insights
- Southern Miss has not covered the spread in a game yet this season in two games.
- In Southern Miss’ two games with a set total, one has hit the over (50%).
Southern Miss Stats & Insights
- While Southern Miss ranks 78th in total defense with 364.7 yards allowed per game, the team’s offensive unit has been slightly worse, ranking 11th-worst (300.3 yards per game).
- Southern Miss ranks 18th-worst in scoring offense (18.7 points per game) and 17th-worst in scoring defense (33.7 points per game allowed) this season.
- Southern Miss has the 91st-ranked offense this season in terms of passing yards (209 passing yards per game), and has been better on the other side of the ball, ranking 16th-best with only 159.3 passing yards allowed per game.
- It’s been a difficult stretch for Southern Miss in terms of running the ball, ranking 13th-worst in rushing offense (91.3 rushing yards per game) and 12th-worst in rushing defense (205.3 rushing yards per game allowed) in 2023.
- Southern Miss ranks 13th-worst in third-down conversion rate (30.2%), but has played better on defense, ranking 31st with a 32.4% third-down conversion rate allowed.
- Southern Miss has forced two total turnovers (107th in the FBS) this season and have turned it over two times (11th in the FBS) for an even turnover margin, 59th-ranked in college football.
Southern Miss’ Best Players
- Billy Wiles has compiled 598 yards (199.3 ypg) on 51-of-95 passing with three touchdowns compared to two interceptions this season.
- Rodrigues Clark has carried the ball 29 times for a team-high 157 yards on the ground and has found the end zone one time.
- This season, Frank Gore Jr. has carried the ball 30 times for 76 yards (25.3 per game) and one touchdown.
- Jakarius Caston’s 181 yards as a receiver lead the team. He’s been targeted 19 times and has registered nine catches and one touchdown.
- Latreal Jones has put together a 114-yard season so far, reeling in 10 passes on 15 targets.
- Tiaquelin Mims has a total of 70 receiving yards so far this year, hauling in six throws.
- Josh Ratcliff leads the team with 1.5 sacks, and also has one TFL and nine tackles.
- So far Jay Stanley leads the team in both tackles and interceptions. He has collected 19 tackles and two interceptions this season.
Arkansas State Betting Insights
- Arkansas State is winless against the spread so far this year in three games with a set total.
- Arkansas State has not yet covered the spread as underdogs of 6 points or more this year (0-2).
- One of Arkansas State’s three games with a set total has hit the over (33.3%).
Arkansas State Pick Insights
- Arkansas State has been outplayed on both offense and defense this season, ranking 16th-worst in total offense (307.7 total yards per game) and 14th-worst in total defense (447.3 total yards allowed per game).
- Arkansas State has lots of room to improve, as it ranks third-worst in points per game (11.3) this season and eighth-worst in points allowed per game (39).
- Arkansas State has been outplayed on both sides of the ball in terms of passing this season, ranking 13th-worst in passing yards (155.3 per game) and 13th-worst in passing yards surrendered (294 per game).
- From an offensive standpoint, Arkansas State is generating 152.3 rushing yards per game (72nd-ranked). It ranks 97th in the FBS defensively (153.3 rushing yards allowed per game).
- Arkansas State has struggled on both offense and defense on third down this season, ranking 12th-worst in third-down conversion rate (30%) and 24th-worst in third-down percentage allowed (46.7%).
- Arkansas State sports a bottom-25 turnover margin this season, 10th-worst at -5.
Arkansas State’s Best Players
- J.T. Shrout leads Arkansas State with 227 yards on 24-of-51 passing with zero touchdowns compared to two interceptions this season.
- The team’s top rusher, Ja’Quez Cross, has carried the ball 28 times for 231 yards (77 per game) with two touchdowns.
- Zak Wallace has run for 100 yards across 30 carries, scoring one touchdown.
- Courtney Jackson’s 105 receiving yards (35 yards per game) are best on his team. He has seven receptions on 10 targets with one touchdown.
- Corey Rucker has caught seven passes and compiled 85 receiving yards (28.3 per game).
- Reagan Ealy’s 12 targets have resulted in seven receptions for 63 yards.
- Keyron Crawford has collected 1.5 sacks to pace the team, while also recording one TFL and 13 tackles.
- Javante Mackey is the team’s leading tackler this year. He’s totaled 18 tackles.