Table of Contents
The TCU Horned Frogs (2-1) are in action on Saturday at 12:00 PM ET versus the SMU Mustangs (2-1) at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
The Horned Frogs are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-6.5), against the Mustangs. The over/under for this game is 63.5 points.
Game Info for TCU vs. SMU
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 12:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: Fox Sports 1
- Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- Stadium: Amon G. Carter Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
TCU Pick Insights
- TCU has covered the spread once in two games this season.
- When it has played as at least 6.5-point favorites this season, TCU is 1-1 against the spread.
- Out of TCU’s two games with a set total, one has hit the over (50%).
TCU Stats & Insights
- TCU has the 78th-ranked defense this year (364.7 yards allowed per game), and has been better on offense, ranking 13th-best with a tally of 515.7 yards per game.
- On the offensive side of the ball, TCU has been a top-25 unit, ranking 25th-best in the FBS by putting up 39.7 points per game. The Horned Frogs rank 57th on defense (21.3 points allowed per game).
- While TCU ranks 11th-worst in the FBS in passing defense with 304 passing yards allowed per game, it’s been a different situation on the other side of the ball, as the offensive unit ranks 23rd-best in the FBS (302 passing yards per game).
- TCU has been finding success on both sides of the ball in the running game, ranking 19th-best in rushing offense (213.7 rushing yards per game) and ninth-best in rushing defense (60.7 rushing yards allowed per game).
- TCU is averaging a 45.5% third-down percentage on offense (46th in the FBS), and ranks 88th defensively with a 42% third-down percentage allowed.
- TCU has forced five total turnovers (46th in the FBS) this season and have turned it over six times (98th in the FBS) for -1a turnover margin of -1, 75th-ranked in college football.
TCU’s Best Players
- Chandler Morris has thrown for 856 yards, completing 67.9% of his passes and recording six touchdowns and three interceptions this season. He’s also run for 146 yards (48.7 ypg) on 23 carries with two rushing touchdowns.
- Emani Bailey has carried the ball 56 times for a team-high 357 yards on the ground and has found the end zone one time.
- John Paul Richardson’s team-leading 147 yards as a receiver have come on 13 receptions (out of 17 targets).
- Warren Thompson has caught 10 passes for 143 yards (47.7 yards per game) and one touchdown this year.
- Jared Wiley has hauled in 10 receptions for 92 yards, an average of 30.7 yards per game. He’s scored one time as a receiver this season.
- Paul Oyewale has racked up three sacks to lead the team, while also recording three TFL and 10 tackles.
- TCU’s tackle leader, Johnny Hodges, has 21 tackles, two TFL, and two sacks this year.
- Vernon Glover has a team-high one interception to go along with three tackles and one pass defended.
SMU Betting Insights
- SMU has covered the spread once in two games this season.
- SMU has not yet covered the spread as underdogs of 6.5 points or more this year (0-1).
- SMU’s two games with a set total this season have all gone under the over/under.
SMU Pick Insights
- SMU has been keeping opposing offenses in check on the defensive side of the ball, surrendering only 263.3 total yards per game (13th-best). On offense, it ranks 31st by compiling 463.3 total yards per game.
- SMU has been dominant on defense, giving up just 14 points per contest (23rd-best). On offense, it ranks 26th by putting up 39.3 points per game.
- Things have been going well for SMU on both offense and defense, as it is compiling 295.7 passing yards per game (25th-best) and allowing only 159.7 passing yards per game (17th-best).
- In terms of rushing, SMU ranks 59th in the FBS on offense (167.7 rushing yards per game) and 39th defensively (103.7 rushing yards allowed per game).
- With a 38.1% third-down conversion percentage on offense, SMU ranks 86th in the FBS. On defense, it ranks 59th, giving up a 36.4% third-down rate.
- SMU owns a -2 turnover margin this season, which ranks 102nd in the FBS.
SMU’s Best Players
- Preston Stone has racked up 798 yards (266 per game) while completing 62.7% of his passes and tossing nine touchdown passes with two interceptions this season.
- LJ Johnson Jr. has rushed 27 times for 153 yards, with one touchdown.
- Jaylan Knighton has run for 140 yards across 32 attempts.
- Jake Bailey has racked up 136 receiving yards on 13 receptions to pace his team so far this season.
- Jordan Hudson has caught five passes and compiled 109 receiving yards (36.3 per game) with two touchdowns.
- Roderick Daniels Jr.’s five grabs (on 10 targets) have netted him 105 yards (35 ypg) and one touchdown.
- Elijah Roberts paces the team with two sacks, and also has three TFL and four tackles.
- Jonathan McGill, SMU’s leading tackler, has 11 tackles and one TFL this year.
- Kori Roberson has a team-leading one interception to go along with five tackles, one TFL, 1.5 sacks, and one pass defended.