Table of Contents
On Saturday at 12:00 PM ET, the TCU Horned Frogs (2-1) will host the SMU Mustangs (2-1).
The Horned Frogs are the favorites (-6.5) in their matchup versus the Mustangs, with the over/under being 63.5 points. (In terms of the moneyline, the Horned Frogs are -261 and the Mustangs are +209.)
Game Info for TCU vs. SMU
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 12:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: Fox Sports 1
- Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- Stadium: Amon G. Carter Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
TCU Pick Insights
- TCU has covered the spread once in two games this season.
- In games it has played as at least 6.5-point favorites this season, TCU is 1-1 against the spread.
- TCU has combined with its opponent to go over in one of two games with a set total (50%).
TCU Stats & Insights
- TCU ranks 78th in total defense this season (364.7 yards allowed per game), but has been playing really well on the other side of the ball, ranking 13th-best in the FBS with 515.7 total yards per game.
- On the offensive side of the ball, TCU has been a top-25 unit, ranking 25th-best in the FBS by averaging 39.7 points per game. The Horned Frogs rank 57th on defense (21.3 points allowed per game).
- While TCU ranks 11th-worst in the FBS in passing defense with 304 passing yards allowed per game, it’s been a different story on the other side of the ball, as the offensive unit ranks 23rd-best in the FBS (302 passing yards per game).
- TCU has been a handful for opposing teams in the running game, ranking top-25 in both rushing offense (19th-best with 213.7 rushing yards per game) and rushing defense (ninth-best with 60.7 rushing yards allowed per game) this year.
- From an offensive standpoint, TCU ranks 46th in the FBS with a 45.5% third-down percentage. Meanwhile, the team’s defense ranks 88th in third-down percentage allowed (60.7).
- TCU owns the 75th-ranked turnover margin in college football at -1, forcing five turnovers (46th in the FBS) while turning it over six times (98th in the FBS).
TCU’s Best Players
- Chandler Morris has been a dual threat for TCU so far this season. He has 856 passing yards, completing 67.9% of his passes and tossing six touchdown passes and three interceptions this season. He’s rushed for 146 yards (48.7 ypg) on 23 carries with two rushing touchdowns.
- Emani Bailey has 357 rushing yards on 56 carries with one touchdown.
- John Paul Richardson has hauled in 13 catches for 147 yards (49 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. .
- Warren Thompson has hauled in 10 passes while averaging 47.7 yards per game and scoring one touchdown.
- Jared Wiley has been the target of 13 passes and racked up 10 catches for 92 yards, an average of 30.7 yards per contest. He’s found the end zone one time through the air this season.
- Paul Oyewale has three sacks to pace the team, and also has three TFL and 10 tackles.
- Johnny Hodges is the team’s tackle leader this year. He’s collected 21 tackles, two TFL, and two sacks.
- Vernon Glover has picked off a team-high one pass. He also has three tackles and one pass defended to his name.
SMU Betting Insights
- SMU is 1-1-0 against the spread this season.
- SMU is winless against the spread (0-1) when playing as at least 6.5-point underdogs.
- None of SMU’s two games with a set total this year have hit the over.
SMU Pick Insights
- SMU ranks 31st in the FBS with 463.3 total yards per contest, but it has been carried by its defense, which ranks 13th-best by surrendering just 263.3 total yards per game.
- SMU ranks 26th in the FBS with 39.3 points per contest, but it has been led by its defense, which ranks 23rd-best by giving up just 14 points per game.
- SMU has been top-25 in passing on both sides of the ball this season, as it ranks 25th-best in passing yards per game (295.7) and 17th-best in passing yards surrendered per game (159.7).
- From an offensive perspective, SMU is putting up 167.7 rushing yards per game (59th-ranked). It ranks 39th in the FBS on defense (103.7 rushing yards given up per game).
- From an offensive perspective, SMU is posting a 38.1% third-down conversion rate (86th-ranked). It ranks 59th in the FBS defensively (36.4% third-down rate allowed).
- SMU has accumulated one forced turnover (123rd in the FBS) and committed three turnovers (32nd in the FBS) this season for a -2 turnover margin that ranks 102nd in the FBS.
SMU’s Best Players
- Preston Stone has racked up 798 yards (266 yards per game) while completing 62.7% of his passes and collecting nine touchdown passes with two interceptions this season.
- LJ Johnson Jr. has carried the ball 27 times for 153 yards, with one touchdown.
- Jaylan Knighton has collected 140 yards (on 32 carries).
- Jake Bailey has hauled in 136 receiving yards on 13 catches to pace his squad so far this season.
- Jordan Hudson has caught five passes and compiled 109 receiving yards (36.3 per game) with two touchdowns.
- Roderick Daniels Jr.’s five receptions (on 10 targets) have netted him 105 yards (35 ypg) and one touchdown.
- Elijah Roberts has racked up two sacks to lead the team, while also recording three TFL and four tackles.
- SMU’s top-tackler, Jonathan McGill, has 11 tackles and one TFL this year.
- Kori Roberson has picked off a team-high one pass. He also has five tackles, one TFL, 1.5 sacks, and one pass defended to his name.