Table of Contents
Amon G. Carter Stadium is the venue where the TCU Horned Frogs (2-1) will match up against the SMU Mustangs (2-1) on Saturday, September 23, 2023.
The Horned Frogs are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-6.5), versus the Mustangs. The over/under for this matchup is 63 points.
Game Info for TCU vs. SMU
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 12:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: Fox Sports 1
- Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- Stadium: Amon G. Carter Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
TCU Pick Insights
- TCU is 1-1-0 against the spread this season.
- When it has played as at least 6.5-point favorites this season, TCU is 1-1 against the spread.
- One of TCU’s two games with a set total has hit the over (50%).
TCU Stats & Insights
- TCU ranks 78th in total defense this year (364.7 yards allowed per game), but has been shining on offense, ranking 13th-best in the FBS with 515.7 total yards per game.
- Offensively, TCU has been a top-25 unit, ranking 25th-best in the FBS by totaling 39.7 points per game. The Horned Frogs rank 57th on defense (21.3 points allowed per game).
- TCU sports the 23rd-best offense this season in terms of passing yards (302 passing yards per game), but ranks 11th-worst on the defensive side of the ball (304 passing yards allowed per game).
- TCU has been finding success on both offense and defense in the running game, ranking 19th-best in rushing offense (213.7 rushing yards per game) and ninth-best in rushing defense (60.7 rushing yards allowed per game).
- On offense, TCU ranks 46th in the FBS with a 45.5% third-down conversion rate. Meanwhile, the team’s defense ranks 88th in third-down percentage allowed (60.7).
- With five forced turnovers (46th in the FBS) against six turnovers committed (98th in the FBS), TCU’s -1-1 turnover margin ranks 75th in college football.
TCU’s Best Players
- Chandler Morris has thrown for 856 yards, completing 67.9% of his passes and recording six touchdowns and three interceptions this season. He’s also run for 146 yards (48.7 ypg) on 23 carries with two rushing touchdowns.
- Emani Bailey has racked up 357 yards on 56 carries while finding paydirt one time.
- John Paul Richardson has hauled in 13 catches for 147 yards (49 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. .
- Warren Thompson has caught 10 passes for 143 yards (47.7 yards per game) and one touchdown this year.
- Jared Wiley has compiled 10 catches for 92 yards, an average of 30.7 yards per game. He’s scored one time as a receiver this season.
- Paul Oyewale has collected three sacks to lead the team, while also picking up three TFL and 10 tackles.
- TCU’s top-tackler, Johnny Hodges, has 21 tackles, two TFL, and two sacks this year.
- Vernon Glover leads the team with one interception, while also putting up three tackles and one pass defended.
SMU Betting Insights
- SMU is 1-1-0 against the spread this season.
- SMU has not yet covered the spread as underdogs of 6.5 points or more this season (0-1).
- SMU’s two games with a set total this season have all finished under the over/under.
SMU Pick Insights
- SMU has been keeping opposing offenses in check on defense, giving up just 263.3 total yards per game (13th-best). Offensively, it ranks 31st by piling up 463.3 total yards per game.
- SMU’s defensive unit has been paving the way for the team, as it ranks 23rd-best in the FBS with 14 points surrendered per game. In terms of offense, it is accumulating 39.3 points per game, which ranks 26th.
- Things have been going well for SMU on both offense and defense, as it is averaging 295.7 passing yards per game (25th-best) and surrendering only 159.7 passing yards per game (17th-best).
- SMU is posting 167.7 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (59th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is surrendering 103.7 rushing yards per contest (39th-ranked) on defense.
- With a 38.1% third-down conversion rate on offense, SMU ranks 86th in the FBS. On defense, it ranks 59th, giving up a 36.4% third-down rate.
- SMU sports a -2 turnover margin this season, which ranks 102nd in the FBS.
SMU’s Best Players
- Preston Stone has recored 798 passing yards, or 266 per game, so far this season. He has completed 62.7% of his passes and has tossed nine touchdowns with two interceptions.
- LJ Johnson Jr. is his team’s leading rusher with 27 carries for 153 yards, or 51 per game. He’s found paydirt one time on the ground, as well.
- Jaylan Knighton has collected 140 yards (on 32 attempts).
- Jake Bailey has collected 13 catches this season and his team-high yardage total sits at 136 (45.3 yards per game). He’s been targeted 15 times.
- Jordan Hudson has put up a 109-yard season so far with two touchdowns. He’s caught five passes on seven targets.
- Roderick Daniels Jr. has racked up 105 reciving yards (35 ypg) and one touchdown this season.
- Elijah Roberts leads the team with two sacks, and also has three TFL and four tackles.
- SMU’s tackle leader, Jonathan McGill, has 11 tackles and one TFL this year.
- Kori Roberson has a team-leading one interception to go along with five tackles, one TFL, 1.5 sacks, and one pass defended.