Table of Contents
The East Carolina Pirates (1-3) play on Saturday at 7:00 PM ET at Rice Stadium versus the Rice Owls (2-2).
The Pirates are underdogs, but by less than a touchdown (+3), against the Owls (with an over/under of 46.5 points).
Game Info for Rice vs. East Carolina
- Game Day: Saturday, September 30, 2023
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN+
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Rice Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
Rice Pick Insights
- Rice is 2-1-0 against the spread this season.
- Rice is winless against the spread (0-1) when playing as at least 3-point favorites.
- Two of Rice’s three games with a set total have hit the over (66.7%).
Rice Stats & Insights
- Rice sports the 60th-ranked offense this season (405.8 yards per game), and have been less effective on defense, ranking 22nd-worst with 419.3 yards allowed per game.
- Rice ranks 35th in scoring offense (35.3 points per game) and 108th in scoring defense (31.8 points allowed per game) this year.
- While Rice ranks 17th-worst in the FBS in passing defense with 274.8 passing yards allowed per game, it’s been a different story offensively, as the offensive unit ranks 12th-best in the FBS (323.8 passing yards per game).
- While Rice’s run defense ranks 83rd with 144.5 rushing yards allowed per game, the offense has been worse, ranking ninth-worst (82 rushing yards per game).
- Rice is posting a 43.9% third-down conversion rate on offense, which ranks them 51st in the FBS. On the other side of the ball, the defense ranks 84th, allowing a 41.1% third-down percentage.
- Rice has forced four total turnovers (97th in the FBS) this season and have turned it over five times (50th in the FBS) for -1a turnover margin of -1, 82nd-ranked in college football.
Rice’s Best Players
- JT Daniels has 1,237 passing yards for Rice, completing 64% of his passes and throwing 11 touchdowns and three interceptions this season.
- Dean Connors has carried the ball 29 times for a team-high 139 yards (34.8 per game) with one score. He has also caught 16 passes for 194 yards and two receiving touchdowns.
- This season, Juma Otoviano has carried the ball 30 times for 65 yards (16.3 per game), while also racking up 64 yards through the air.
- Luke McCaffrey has hauled in 20 catches for 370 yards (92.5 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. He’s found the end zone four times as a receiver.
- Braylen Walker has hauled in eight receptions for 178 yards, an average of 44.5 yards per game. He’s scored two times as a receiver this season.
- De’Braylon Carroll has racked up two sacks to pace the team, while also picking up one TFL and 11 tackles.
- Plae Wyatt is the team’s leading tackler this year. He’s picked up 24 tackles, two TFL, and one sack.
- Tre’Shon Devones leads the team with one interception, while also collecting 11 tackles, one TFL, and one pass defended.
East Carolina Betting Insights
- East Carolina is 2-2-0 against the spread this year.
- In games they have played as at least 3-point underdogs this season, the Pirates are 1-2 against the spread.
- Out of East Carolina’s four games with a set total, two have hit the over (50%).
East Carolina Pick Insights
- East Carolina has been struggling offensively, ranking fifth-worst with 277.5 total yards per game. It has been more effective on defense, allowing 341.5 total yards per contest (55th-ranked).
- East Carolina is putting up 22 points per contest on offense this season (100th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is surrendering 26 points per game (79th-ranked) on defense.
- East Carolina’s passing offense has been a bottom-25 unit this season, generating 150 passing yards per game, which ranks 13th-worst in the FBS. On defense, it ranks 45th with 203 passing yards surrendered per contest.
- East Carolina ranks 98th in the FBS with 127.5 rushing yards per contest on offense, and it ranks 78th with 138.5 rushing yards ceded per game on the defensive side of the ball.
- East Carolina has been struggling on third down, ranking 24th-worst with a 46.3% third-down conversion rate allowed per game. It has been more productive on the other side of the ball, posting a 35.7% third-down rate (102nd-ranked).
- At +1, East Carolina sports the 50th-ranked turnover margin in the FBS, with eight forced turnovers (18th in the FBS) and seven turnovers committed (88th in the FBS).
East Carolina’s Best Players
- Alex Flinn leads East Carolina with 365 yards on 34-of-68 passing with one touchdown compared to four interceptions this season.
- Mason Garcia is his team’s leading rusher with 32 carries for 178 yards, or 44.5 per game. He’s found paydirt one time on the ground, as well.
- Rahjai Harris has piled up 42 carries and totaled 171 yards with three touchdowns.
- Jaylen Johnson’s 178 receiving yards (44.5 yards per game) lead the team. He has 16 catches on 27 targets.
- Jsi Hatfield has put up a 128-yard season so far. He’s caught nine passes on 19 targets.
- Jhari Patterson’s 14 targets have resulted in nine catches for 75 yards.
- Jeremy Lewis has one sack to lead the team, and also has two TFL and 10 tackles.
- East Carolina’s top-tackler, Julius Wood, has 29 tackles and one TFL this year.
- Antoine Jackson has a team-high one interception to go along with three tackles and one pass defended.