Table of Contents
Yordan Alvarez and Shohei Ohtani square off in a showdown of top-10 sluggers when the Houston Astros (84-47) and the Los Angeles Angels (57-74) play at 9:38 PM ET on Friday. Alvarez has 31 homers (sixth in MLB) for the favored Astros (-180), and Ohtani is eighth in MLB play with 30 long balls this season for the underdog Angels (+155). Lance McCullers Jr. takes the mound first for Houston, and Reid Detmers is Los Angeles’ pick to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Angels
- Game Day: Friday, September 2, 2022
- Game Time: 9:38 PM ET
- Location: Anaheim, California
- Stadium: Angel Stadium
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros rank fourth-best in MLB play with 172 total home runs.
- The Astros’ .245 batting average ranks 13th in the majors.
- The Astros are ninth in baseball with a .319 on-base percentage.
- The Astros strike out 7.4 times per game to rank third in the league.
- The Astros have hit 87 home runs on the road this season (1.3 per game).
- The Astros have a .409 slugging percentage and are averaging 3.2 extra-base hits per game away from home.
- On the road this season the team averages 8.3 hits per game and is batting .240.
Astros Key Batters
- Alex Bregman is hitting .267 with 34 doubles, 20 home runs and 72 walks.
- Among qualifying hitters in the majors, Bregman is 53rd in batting average, 13th in on-base percentage, and 25th in slugging.
- Alvarez leads Houston with 111 hits and an OBP of .398 this season.
- Alvarez ranks 17th in batting average, fourth in on-base percentage and third in slugging among qualified batters.
- Alvarez enters this matchup looking to extend his two-game hit streak. In his last five games he is hitting .250 with a double, two walks and an RBI.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .260 with a .472 slugging percentage and 84 RBI this year.
- Tucker heads into this game with three games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .263 with two doubles, a walk and two RBI.
- Jose Altuve leads Houston in slugging percentage (.512) thanks to 53 extra-base hits.
- Altuve has hit safely in two straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .300 with three doubles, a home run, two walks and three RBI.
Angels Stats & Trends
- The Angels have hit 151 homers this season, which ranks 11th in the league.
- The Angels have a team batting average of just .228 this season, which ranks 28th among MLB teams.
- The Angels have an OBP of just .294 this season, which ranks 26th in MLB.
- The Angels are one of the least disciplined teams at the plate this season, ranking last with an average of 9.6 strikeouts per game.
- They’ve hit 82 homers, an average of 1.3 per game, in 65 home contests this season.
- They are slugging .407 in 65 home games this season.
- In 65 home games this season, they have a batting average of .238 while averaging 7.8 base hits per contest.
Angels Key Batters
- Ohtani has accumulated a team-high OBP (.359) and slugging percentage (.529), and paces the Angels in hits (126).
- Ohtani ranks 49th in batting average, 25th in on-base percentage and 10th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters in the big leagues.
- Ohtani brings a four-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .444 with a double, three home runs, three walks and seven RBI.
- Mike Trout has 18 doubles, two triples, 28 home runs and 41 walks while hitting .271.
- Taylor Ward is batting .262 with 14 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs and 49 walks.
- Luis Rengifo has 19 doubles, three triples, 11 home runs and 13 walks while hitting .268.
Astros vs. Angels Probable Pitchers