Table of Contents
Dylan Carlson will try to collect his 100th hit of the season (he has 99) when the St. Louis Cardinals (91-66) play the Pittsburgh Pirates (59-98) on Saturday at 7:15 PM ET. The Cardinals are favored (-251) over the Pirates (+206). Jordan Montgomery starts for St. Louis while Pittsburgh will counter with Luis Ortiz.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cardinals vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Saturday, October 1, 2022
- Game Time: 7:15 PM ET
- Location: St. Louis, Missouri
- Stadium: Busch Stadium
Cardinals Stats & Trends
- The Cardinals rank seventh-best in MLB action with 194 total home runs.
- The Cardinals are ninth in the majors with a .252 batting average.
- The Cardinals’ .325 on-base percentage is fourth-best in baseball.
- Cardinals hitters strike out 7.6 times per game, the fifth-fewest strikeouts in the league.
- The Cardinals have hit 96 home runs at home this season (1.2 per game).
- The Cardinals have a .420 slugging percentage and are averaging 3.0 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The club is batting .250 with 642 hits (8.1 per game) at home this season.
Cardinals Key Batters
- Paul Goldschmidt leads St. Louis with 177 hits and an OBP of .405, plus a team-best slugging percentage of .583.
- Among qualified batters in baseball, Goldschmidt’s batting average ranks third, his on-base percentage ranks fourth, and he is third in slugging.
- Goldschmidt hopes to build on a three-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .316 with a double and two RBI.
- Nolan Arenado is batting .293 with 41 doubles, a triple, 30 home runs and 51 walks.
- Arenado is 16th in batting average, 23rd in on-base percentage and fifth in slugging in the major leagues.
- Tommy Edman has collected 149 base hits, an OBP of .320 and a slugging percentage of .396 this season.
- Brendan Donovan is batting .281 with a .394 OBP and 44 RBI for St. Louis this season.
- Donovan has hit safely in four games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .308 with a double and four walks.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates have hit 155 homers this season, which ranks 17th in the league.
- The Pirates rank 29th in MLB with a team batting average of just .221.
- The Pirates are among the worst in the league at getting on base, ranking 28th with an OBP of .290.
- The Pirates rank just 29th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.4 whiffs per contest.
- In 79 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 82 homers, an average of 1.0 per contest.
- In 79 road games this season, they’re slugging .359 with 199 hits going for extra bases.
- They are averaging 7.2 base hits per game and batting .216 on the road this season.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has racked up an on-base percentage of .344, a slugging percentage of .456, and has 137 hits, all club-bests for the Pirates.
- Including all qualified players in the big leagues, Reynolds’ batting average places him 66th, his on-base percentage is 37th, and he is 41st in slugging.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is batting .246 with 24 doubles, three triples, seven home runs and 46 walks.
- Including all qualified players, Hayes is 85th in batting average, 87th in on-base percentage and 124th in slugging percentage.
- Ben Gamel has 20 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 48 walks while hitting .232.
- Oneil Cruz is batting .229 with 12 doubles, four triples, 17 home runs and 25 walks.
Cardinals vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers