Table of Contents
The Detroit Lions (7-7) visit the Carolina Panthers (5-9) on Saturday, December 24, 2022 at Bank of America Stadium and will look to build on a three-game winning streak.
The Lions have struggled on defense, ranking second-worst in the NFL (398.5 yards allowed per game) this season. However, they rank fourth-best offensively, totaling 375.1 yards per game. In terms of points scored the Panthers rank 24th in the NFL (19.7 points per game), and they are 15th defensively (22.4 points allowed per contest).
Lions vs. Panthers Picks
Right now, 10.2% of BetterPool users are picking the Panthers to upset the Lions, with 16.1% expecting the Panthers to cover the 2.5-point spread on Saturday.
For all your best pick data from America’s #1 independent pool site, head here.
Game Info: Lions vs. Panthers
- Game Day: Saturday, December 24, 2022
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
- Stadium: Bank of America Stadium
Before making an informed wager on Detroit-Carolina contest (in which Detroit is a 2.5-point favorite and the over/under is set at 44 points), below are a few betting trends and insights for Saturday’s game.
Betting Insights for Lions
- The Lions’ ATS record is 10-4-0 this season.
- The Lions have a 1-1 record against the spread in games they were favored by 2.5 points or more this season.
- Lions games with a set total have hit the over nine times this season (64.3%).
Stats & Insights for Lions
- The Lions have struggled on defense, ranking second-worst in the NFL (398.5 yards allowed per game) this season. However, they rank fourth-best on the other side of the ball, putting up 375.1 yards per game.
- The Lions own the fifth-best offense this season in terms of points scored (26.4 points per game), but they rank second-worst on defense (26 points allowed per game).
- Despite having a bottom-five pass defense that ranks third-worst in the NFL (265.1 passing yards allowed per game), the Lions have put up better results offensively, ranking eighth in the NFL by putting up 249.1 passing yards per game.
- The Lions are totaling 126.1 rushing yards per game on offense this season (14th in NFL), and they are surrendering 133.4 rushing yards per game (26th) on the defensive side of the ball.
- The Lions have the 10th-ranked third-down offense this season (42.3% third-down conversion rate), but they’ve been worse defensively, ranking second-worst with a 48.2% third-down percentage allowed.
- The Lions have the sixth-ranked offense in terms of yards per play this season (6), and they’ve been worse on defense, ranking worst with 6.4 yards per play allowed.
- With 18 forced turnovers (13th in NFL) against 14 turnovers committed (third in NFL), the Lions (+4) own the seventh-ranked turnover margin in the NFL.
Best Players for Lions
- Jared Goff: 3,604 PASS YDS / 257.4 YPG / 64.9% / 23 TD / 7 INT
- Jamaal Williams: 217 CAR / 839 YDS / 59.9 YPG / 14 TD / 9 REC / 57 YDS / 4.1 YPG / 0 TD
- D’Andre Swift: 78 CAR / 427 YDS / 38.8 YPG / 4 TD / 36 REC / 276 YDS / 25.1 YPG / 2 TD
- Amon-Ra St. Brown: 89 REC / 974 YDS / 74.9 YPG / 6 TD
- Kalif Raymond: 39 REC / 454 YDS / 32.4 YPG / 0 TD
- Josh Reynolds: 34 REC / 427 YDS / 38.8 YPG / 3 TD
- Aidan Hutchinson: 40 TKL / 7 TFL / 7 SACK / 2 INT / 2 PD
- Alex Anzalone: 105 TKL / 5 TFL / 1.5 SACK / 1 INT / 5 PD
- Kerby Joseph: 59 TKL / 3 INT / 5 PD
Betting Insights for Panthers
- The Panthers’ ATS record is 7-7-0 this season.
- The Panthers have a 5-3 record against the spread in games they were an underdog by 2.5 points or more this season.
- The teams have hit the over in six of the Panthers’ 14 games with a set total.
Stats & Insights for Panthers
- The Panthers rank third-worst in total yards per game (288.1), but they’ve been more effective on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 17th in the NFL with 341.7 total yards allowed per contest.
- From an offensive angle, the Panthers are compiling 19.7 points per game (24th-ranked). They rank 15th in the NFL defensively (22.4 points allowed per game).
- The Panthers’ passing game has been sputtering, ranking third-worst in the NFL with 170.6 passing yards per game. They have been better on defense, giving up 211 passing yards per contest (13th-ranked).
- The Panthers are putting up 117.5 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (17th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are giving up 130.7 rushing yards per game (22nd-ranked) on defense.
- The Panthers rank third-worst in third-down conversion percentage (29.2%), but they’ve been better on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 26th in the NFL with a 43.5% third-down rate allowed.
- The Panthers are compiling 5.4 yards per play on offense this season (22nd-ranked). Meanwhile, they are allowing 5.4 yards per play (sixth-ranked) on defense.
- After forcing 14 turnovers (28th in NFL) and turning the ball over 16 times (ninth in NFL) this season, the Panthers have the 19th-ranked turnover margin of -2.
Best Players for Panthers
- Phillip Walker: 731 PASS YDS / 121.8 YPG / 59.4% / 3 TD / 3 INT
- D’Onta Foreman: 157 CAR / 646 YDS / 46.1 YPG / 4 TD / 5 REC / 26 YDS / 1.9 YPG / 0 TD
- Chuba Hubbard: 59 CAR / 260 YDS / 21.7 YPG / 2 TD / 11 REC / 118 YDS / 9.8 YPG / 0 TD
- D.J. Moore: 51 REC / 678 YDS / 48.4 YPG / 5 TD
- Terrace Marshall Jr.: 22 REC / 397 YDS / 36.1 YPG / 1 TD
- Shi Smith: 17 REC / 209 YDS / 14.9 YPG / 1 TD
- Brian Burns: 58 TKL / 14 TFL / 10.5 SACK / 2 PD
- Shaq Thompson: 110 TKL / 8 TFL / 0.5 SACK / 4 PD
- Jaycee Horn: 47 TKL / 2 TFL / 3 INT / 7 PD