Table of Contents
The Chicago Bears (3-12) will attempt to break an eight-game losing streak when they visit the Detroit Lions (7-8) on Sunday, January 1, 2023 at Ford Field.
While the Lions rank worst in the NFL in total defense with 409.9 yards allowed per game, it’s been a different story on offense, as they rank fourth-best in the NFL (375.5 yards per game). The Bears are posting 316.3 total yards per contest on offense this season (27th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are giving up 360.3 total yards per contest (24th-ranked).
Lions vs. Bears Picks
A majority of BetterPool users think the Bears will win straight up as underdogs against the Lions on Sunday, with 10.6% of users picking them to finish on top. Against the spread, 100.0% of users expect the Lions to cover the 5.5-point line.
For all your best pick data from America’s #1 independent pool site, head here.
Game Info: Lions vs. Bears
- Game Day: Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Ford Field
Detroit is a 5.5-point favorite against Chicago on Sunday and the total has been set at 51.5 points. Here are a few betting trends and insights before making an informed wager on the game.
Betting Insights for Lions
- The Lions have a 10-5-0 record against the spread this season.
- A total of 10 of the Lions’ 15 games with a set total have hit the over (66.7%).
Stats & Insights for Lions
- The Lions have struggled defensively, ranking worst in the NFL (409.9 yards allowed per game) this season. However, they rank fourth-best on offense, totaling 375.5 yards per game.
- While the Lions rank worst in the NFL in scoring defense with 26.7 points allowed per game, it’s been a different situation offensively, as they rank fifth-best in the NFL (26.1 points per game).
- Despite having a bottom-five pass defense that ranks third-worst in the NFL (264.1 passing yards allowed per game), the Lions have played better offensively, ranking eighth in the NFL by putting up 254.9 passing yards per game.
- Despite having a bottom-five run defense that ranks fifth-worst in the NFL (145.9 rushing yards allowed per game), the Lions have put up better results on offense, ranking 16th in the NFL by putting up 120.7 rushing yards per game.
- In addition to a 47.5% third-down conversion rate allowed on defense, which ranks second-worst in the NFL, the Lions have put up the 13th-ranked third-down percentage (41.7%) on offense.
- The Lions sport the seventh-ranked offense in terms of yards per play this season (6), and they’ve been worse on the other side of the ball, ranking worst with 6.6 yards per play allowed.
- With 18 forced turnovers (18th in NFL) against 15 turnovers committed (first in NFL), the Lions (+3) own the eighth-ranked turnover margin in the league.
Best Players for Lions
- Jared Goff: 3,959 PASS YDS / 263.9 YPG / 64.5% / 26 TD / 7 INT
- Jamaal Williams: 224 CAR / 850 YDS / 56.7 YPG / 14 TD / 11 REC / 60 YDS / 4 YPG / 0 TD
- D’Andre Swift: 82 CAR / 439 YDS / 36.6 YPG / 4 TD / 37 REC / 289 YDS / 24.1 YPG / 2 TD
- Amon-Ra St. Brown: 96 REC / 1,050 YDS / 75 YPG / 6 TD
- Kalif Raymond: 40 REC / 510 YDS / 34 YPG / 0 TD
- Josh Reynolds: 36 REC / 458 YDS / 38.2 YPG / 3 TD
- Aidan Hutchinson: 44 TKL / 7 TFL / 7 SACK / 2 INT / 2 PD
- Alex Anzalone: 110 TKL / 6 TFL / 1.5 SACK / 1 INT / 5 PD
- Kerby Joseph: 65 TKL / 3 INT / 5 PD
Betting Insights for Bears
- The Bears are 5-9-1 ATS this year.
- The Bears are 4-4 against the spread when an underdog by 5.5 points or more this season.
- Out of the Bears’ 15 games with a set total, 10 have hit the over (66.7%).
Stats & Insights for Bears
- The Bears are putting up 316.3 total yards per contest on offense this season (27th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are surrendering 360.3 total yards per contest (24th-ranked).
- The Bears rank 22nd in points per game (20.2), but they’ve been less productive on the defensive side of the ball, ranking second-worst in the NFL with 26.2 points ceded per contest.
- The Bears rank worst in passing yards per game (136.5), but they’ve been more productive on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 12th in the NFL with 209.1 passing yards ceded per contest.
- On the defensive side of the ball, the Bears are a bottom-five run unit, ceding 151.2 rushing yards per game (third-worst). On the bright side, they are thriving on the other side of the ball, putting up 179.7 rushing yards per contest (best).
- The Bears’ defense has been a bottom-five unit on third down this season, ceding a 49.7% third-down conversion rate, which ranks worst in the NFL. On the offensive side of the ball, they rank seventh with a 49.7% third-down rate.
- The Bears rank 13th in yards per play (5.7), but they’ve been worse defensively, fourth-worst in the NFL with 6.1 yards allowed per play.
- The Bears own a 0 turnover margin this season, which ranks 13th in the NFL.
Best Players for Bears
- Justin Fields: 2,167 PASS YDS / 154.8 YPG / 62.3% / 16 TD / 10 INT / 150 CAR / 1,011 RUSH YDS / 8 TD
- David Montgomery: 188 CAR / 756 YDS / 54 YPG / 5 TD / 32 REC / 304 YDS / 21.7 YPG / 1 TD
- Cole Kmet: 44 REC / 460 YDS / 30.7 YPG / 5 TD
- Chase Claypool: 44 REC / 422 YDS / 32.5 YPG / 1 TD
- Jaquan Brisker: 85 TKL / 5 TFL / 4 SACK / 1 INT / 1 PD
- Nicholas Morrow: 103 TKL / 10 TFL / 1 INT / 2 PD
- Kyler Gordon: 64 TKL / 2 TFL / 3 INT / 6 PD