Table of Contents
Yordan Alvarez rides a 12-game hitting streak into the Houston Astros’ (22-19) matchup against the Chicago Cubs (19-22). The Astros are favored on the moneyline (-175) in this matchup with the Cubs (+150), which begins at 8:10 PM ET on Tuesday at Minute Maid Park. Houston’s Cristian Javier and Chicago’s Justin Steele pitch first for their squads in this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Cubs
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 16, 2023
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
How Do I Watch the Astros vs. the Cubs?
- TV Channel: TBS
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros rank 25th in baseball with 36 home runs. They average 0.9 per game.
- Houston ranks 16th in MLB with a .241 batting average.
- The Astros’ .310 on-base percentage is 22nd in MLB.
- Houston strikes out 8 times per game, the fifth-best average in MLB.
- The Astros average 0.9 homers per game when playing at home this season (17 total in home outings).
- Houston is averaging 2.1 extra-base hits per game while slugging .347 in home contests.
- The club is batting .232 with 152 hits (7.6 per game) at home this season.
Astros Key Batters
- Alvarez leads Houston in OBP (.397) and total hits (37) this season. He’s batting .291 batting average while slugging .567.
- Among qualifying batters in MLB, he is 34th in batting average, 16th in on-base percentage, and seventh in slugging.
- Alvarez will look for his 13th straight game with a hit in this contest. During his last 10 games he is batting .361 with three doubles, three home runs, five walks and 10 RBI.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .264 with six doubles, six home runs and 21 walks, while slugging .431 with an on-base percentage of .349.
- Among all qualified, he ranks 74th in batting average, 59th in on-base percentage and 76th in slugging percentage.
- Alex Bregman is batting .212 with a .346 slugging percentage and 18 RBI this year.
- Bregman heads into this game with three games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .200 with a home run, two walks and two RBI.
- Jeremy Pena has six home runs, 22 RBI and a batting average of .255 this season.
- Pena takes a two-game hitting streak into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .368 with two walks and four RBI.
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 11th in Major League Baseball with 49 home runs.
- Chicago’s .266 batting average is among the best in baseball, ranking fourth in MLB.
- The Cubs have an on-base percentage of .339 this season, which ranks second in the league.
- Chicago ranks 18th with an average of nine strikeouts per game.
- They’ve hit 23 homers, an average of 1.2 per game, in 19 road contests this season.
- In 19 road games this season, it is slugging .435 with 60 hits going for extra bases.
- They are averaging 9.6 base hits per game and batting .273 on the road this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger has nine doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 14 walks while batting .271. He’s slugging .493 with an on-base percentage of .337.
- Including all the qualified hitters in the big leagues, his batting average ranks 59th, his on-base percentage is 74th, and he is 38th in slugging.
- Ian Happ’s .427 OBP paces his team. He has a batting average of .303 while slugging .462.
- His batting average ranks 17th among all qualified players, his on-base percentage ranks fourth, and he is 59th in slugging.
- Patrick Wisdom has accumulated 30 hits, a team-best for the Cubs.
- Dansby Swanson is batting .280 with 11 doubles, three home runs and 26 walks.
Astros vs. Cubs Probable Pitchers
|Cristian Javier (HOU)||Pitcher||Justin Steele (CHC)|
|3 – 1||W/L||6 – 0|
Astros vs. Cubs Injury Updates
- Astros: Jose Altuve: 10 Day IL (Thumb), Michael Brantley: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Jose Urquidy: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Luis Garcia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Lance McCullers Jr.: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Parker Mushinski: 15 Day IL (Spine)
- Cubs: Nico Hoerner: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Brad Boxberger: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Kyle Hendricks: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Adrian Sampson: 60 Day IL (Right meniscus), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Cody Bellinger: day-to-day (Undisclosed)