Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (30-37) will look for a sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates (34-32) on Thursday at Wrigley Field. The Cubs lead 2-0, and are favored (-142) against the underdog Pirates (+119) in the matchup, which starts at 8:05 PM ET. Chicago’s Marcus Stroman starts against Pittsburgh’s Johan Oviedo.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Thursday, June 15, 2023
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Pirates?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are 17th in MLB action with 74 home runs. They average 1.1 per game.
- Chicago’s .247 batting average ranks 17th in the majors.
- The Cubs’ .328 on-base percentage ranks 10th-best in baseball.
- Chicago strikes out 9.3 times per game, the No. 25 average in MLB.
- The Cubs average 1.1 homers per game when playing at home this season (36 total in home outings).
- Chicago is averaging 2.4 extra-base hits per game while slugging .394 at home.
- The club averages 8.4 hits per game and is batting .253 at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago in slugging percentage (.372) thanks to 14 extra-base hits. He has a .279 batting average and an on-base percentage of .332.
- Among qualified hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks 40th, his on-base percentage ranks 82nd, and he is 135th in slugging.
- Hoerner will look for his fourth straight game with a hit in this contest. During his last five outings he is hitting .300 with a walk and three RBI.
- Dansby Swanson is hitting .265 with 13 doubles, two triples, six home runs and 35 walks, while slugging .401 with an on-base percentage of .355.
- His batting average ranks 62nd among qualified players, his on-base percentage 37th, and his slugging percentage 109th.
- Swanson enters this game looking to extend his three-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is hitting .286 with a walk and three RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago in OBP (.387) this season, fueled by 61 hits.
- Happ brings a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .167 with a home run, two walks and six RBI.
- Seiya Suzuki has 53 hits, which leads Chicago hitters this season, while batting .282 with 19 extra-base hits.
- Suzuki has hit safely in four games in a row. During his last five outings he is batting .421 with three doubles, three walks and two RBI.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates rank 24th in Major League Baseball with 65 home runs.
- Pittsburgh’s .249 batting average ranks 15th in the majors this season.
- The Pirates have the 11th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.327).
- Pittsburgh has shown good bat-to-ball skills at the plate this season with the seventh-best strikeout rate (8.3 per game) among MLB offenses.
- They have averaged 1.3 home runs per game in their 32 road contests this season.
- In 32 road games this season, it is slugging .435 with 113 hits going for extra bases.
- In 32 road games this season, they have a batting average of .251 while averaging 8.7 base hits per contest.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has accumulated a team-best .477 slugging percentage. He’s batting .286 with an on-base percentage of .354.
- He is 26th in batting average, 38th in on-base percentage and 39th in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters in MLB.
- Reynolds hopes to build on a seven-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last 10 games he is hitting .343 with three doubles, nine walks and two RBI.
- Andrew McCutchen’s .381 OBP paces his team. He has a batting average of .265 while slugging .435.
- Including all qualified hitters, he is 62nd in batting average, 15th in on-base percentage and 76th in slugging percentage.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is batting .261 with 15 doubles, five triples, four home runs and 15 walks.
- Jack Suwinski paces his team with 44 hits.
Cubs vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers
|Marcus Stroman (CHC)||Pitcher||Johan Oviedo (PIT)|
|7 – 4||W/L||3 – 5|
Cubs vs. Pirates Injury Updates
- Cubs: Edwin Ríos: 10 Day IL (Groin), Cody Bellinger: 10 Day IL (Knee), Justin Steele: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Brandon Hughes: 15 Day IL (Knee), Brad Boxberger: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Adrian Sampson: 60 Day IL (Right meniscus), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Pirates: Vince Velásquez: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Wil Crowe: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Oneil Cruz: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Ji-Man Choi: 60 Day IL (Achilles), Jarlin García: 60 Day IL (Arm), Max Kranick: 60 Day IL (Elbow), JT Brubaker: 60 Day IL (Elbow)