Table of Contents
The Detroit Tigers (37-46) host the Oakland Athletics (23-63) on Tuesday in game 1 of a three-game series, with the first pitch at 6:40 PM ET from Comerica Park. The favored Tigers (-165) head into the matchup after a series win over the Rockies, and the underdog Athletics (+140) are coming off of a series win over the White Sox. Tarik Skubal gets the starting nod for Detroit, and JP Sears is Oakland’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Tigers vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Game Time: 6:40 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
How Do I Watch the Tigers vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: BSDET
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers average one home run per game to rank 23rd in MLB action with 80 total home runs.
- Detroit has the fourth-worst batting average in the majors (.230).
- The Tigers’ .301 on-base percentage is the fifth-worst in MLB.
- Detroit strikes out 8.9 times per game, the No. 18 mark in MLB.
- The Tigers average 0.9 homers per home game this season (37 total at home).
- Detroit is slugging .381 with 2.7 extra-base hits per game in home contests.
- At home this season the club averages 8.2 hits per game and is batting .242.
Tigers Key Batters
- Spencer Torkelson leads Detroit in slugging percentage (.404) and total hits (70) this season. He’s batting .228 with an on-base percentage of .312.
- Among qualifying hitters in baseball, he ranks 124th in batting average, 111th in on-base percentage, and 102nd in slugging.
- Torkelson has recorded a base hit in five straight games. In his last five games he is batting .389 with a double, four home runs, five walks and eight RBI.
- Zach McKinstry has 58 hits this season and a team-best OBP of .335. He’s batting .251 and slugging .381.
- His batting average is 90th among qualified players, his on-base percentage 67th, and his slugging percentage 124th.
- McKinstry has picked up a hit in two games in a row. During his last five outings he is hitting .368 with a double, a home run, a walk and four RBI.
- Javier Baez has hit six homers with a team-high .331 SLG this season.
- Matt Vierling has been key for Detroit with 60 hits, an OBP of .336 plus a slugging percentage of .427.
- Vierling has hit safely in four games in a row. During his last five outings he is hitting .286 with two triples, a walk and an RBI.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit 78 homers this season, which ranks 25th in the league.
- Oakland has a team batting average of just .220 this season, which ranks last among MLB teams.
- The Athletics are among the worst in the league at getting on base, ranking 27th with an OBP of .300.
- Oakland ranks 26th in strikeouts per game (9.2) among MLB offenses.
- They have averaged 1 home runs per game in their 42 road contests this season.
- Oakland has a team slugging percentage of .373 in away games this season with 109 extra-base hits.
- They are averaging 7.7 base hits per game and batting .230 on the road this season.
Athletics Key Batters
- Esteury Ruiz has racked up a team-best .332 slugging percentage. He’s batting .258 with an on-base percentage of .313.
- Including all qualifying hitters, he ranks 75th in batting average, while his on-base percentage is 109th and he is 147th in slugging.
- Brent Rooker has 58 hits to pace his team. He has a batting average of .243 while slugging .477 with an on-base percentage of .339.
- He ranks 107th in batting average, 56th in on-base percentage and 40th in slugging percentage in the big leagues.
- Ryan Noda has accumulated a team-best .384 on-base percentage.
- Tony Kemp is hitting .196 with six doubles, two triples, three home runs and 24 walks.
Tigers vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Tarik Skubal (DET)||Pitcher||JP Sears (OAK)|
|0 – 0||W/L||1 – 6|
Tigers vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Tigers: Riley Greene: 10 Day IL (Fibula), Akil Baddoo: 10 Day IL (Quadricep), Eduardo Rodríguez: 15 Day IL (Finger), Will Vest: 15 Day IL (Leg), Alex Faedo: 15 Day IL (Finger), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Spencer Turnbull: 60 Day IL (Neck), Trey Wingenter: 60 Day IL (Biceps), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Beau Brieske: 60 Day IL (Arm), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tarik Skubal: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Reese Olson: day-to-day (Knee)
- Athletics: Kevin Smith: 10 Day IL (Back), Ramón Laureano: 10 Day IL (Hand), James Kaprielian: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Yacksel Ríos: 15 Day IL (Raynaud’s syndrome), Zach Jackson: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Dany Jimenez: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Mason Miller: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drew Rucinski: 60 Day IL (Illness), Freddy Tarnok: 60 Day IL (Undisclosed), Manny Piña: 60 Day IL (Wrist)