Table of Contents
The St. Louis Cardinals (43-53) will attempt to keep a five-game win streak intact when they visit the Chicago Cubs (45-50) on Thursday at 8:05 PM ET. The Cardinals (+100) are not favored to continue the streak against the Cubs (-120). Marcus Stroman starts for Chicago, and Steven Matz is St. Louis’ pick to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Cardinals
- Game Day: Thursday, July 20, 2023
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Cardinals?
- TV Channel: MLB Network
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are 18th in MLB play with 106 total home runs.
- Chicago’s .251 batting average ranks 14th in MLB.
- The Cubs are eighth in MLB with an on-base percentage of .329.
- Chicago’s 9.2 strikeouts per game rank 24th in MLB.
- The Cubs have hit 56 homers at home this season (1.1 per game).
- Chicago has a .409 slugging percentage and is averaging 2.6 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team is batting .259 with 425 hits (8.7 per game) at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner has an OPS of .710, fueled by an OBP of .324 and a team-best slugging percentage of .385 this season. He has a .275 batting average.
- Among all qualified batters in baseball, he is 39th in batting average, 84th in on-base percentage, and 122nd in slugging.
- Hoerner has recorded at least one hit in two games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .292 with a triple, a home run, a walk and nine RBI.
- Cody Bellinger is batting .311 with 14 doubles, a triple, 12 home runs and 22 walks, while slugging .527 with an on-base percentage of .367.
- Bellinger brings a three-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .421 with a double, a home run, two walks and four RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago with an OBP of .373 this season while batting .245 with 66 walks and 38 runs scored.
- Christopher Morel has been key for Chicago with 53 hits, an OBP of .326 plus a slugging percentage of .545.
Cardinals Stats & Trends
- The Cardinals’ 131 home runs rank seventh in Major League Baseball.
- St. Louis’ .257 batting average is among the best in baseball, ranking 10th in MLB.
- The Cardinals are among the best in the league at getting on base, ranking fifth with an OBP of .331.
- St. Louis ranks 12th with an average of 8.4 strikeouts per game.
- They have averaged 1.4 home runs per game in their 48 road contests this season.
- St. Louis has a team slugging percentage of .418 in away games this season with 150 extra-base hits.
- In 48 road games this season, they have a batting average of .244 while averaging 8.3 base hits per contest.
Cardinals Key Batters
- Nolan Arenado has 102 hits, a team-best for the Cardinals. He’s batting .288 and slugging .528 with an on-base percentage of .338.
- He ranks 18th in batting average, 58th in on-base percentage and ninth in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters in the majors.
- Arenado takes a three-game hitting streak into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .444 with a double, two home runs, two walks and 10 RBI.
- Paul Goldschmidt has a .370 on-base percentage while slugging .473. Both are team-highs. He has a batting average of .284.
- He is 25th in batting average, 17th in on-base percentage and 41st in slugging percentage in the majors.
- Brendan Donovan has accumulated an on-base percentage of .370, a team-high for the Cardinals.
- Nolan Gorman is hitting .242 with 15 doubles, 19 home runs and 35 walks.
Cubs vs. Cardinals Probable Pitchers
|Marcus Stroman (CHC)||Pitcher||Steven Matz (STL)|
|10 – 6||W/L||0 – 7|
Cubs vs. Cardinals Injury Updates
- Cubs: Dansby Swanson: 10 Day IL (Heel), Nick Madrigal: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Adrian Sampson: 60 Day IL (Knee), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Cardinals: Tommy Edman: 10 Day IL (Wrist), Ryan Helsley: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Adam Wainwright: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Drew VerHagen: 15 Day IL (Hip), Jake Woodford: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Tyler O’Neill: 60 Day IL (Back), Packy Naughton: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Wilking Rodriguez: 60 Day IL (Shoulder)