Table of Contents
Jeimer Candelario leads the Chicago Cubs (54-53) into a matchup with the Cincinnati Reds (59-50) after he picked up four hits in a 20-9 win over the Reds. The Cubs are favored (-137) against the Reds (+116) in this outing, which starts at 8:05 PM ET on Wednesday. Drew Smyly takes the mound first for Chicago, and Brandon Williamson is Cincinnati’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Reds
- Game Day: Wednesday, August 2, 2023
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Reds?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 13th in baseball with 127 total home runs.
- Chicago’s .256 batting average is seventh-best in MLB.
- The Cubs’ .334 on-base percentage is fourth-best in MLB.
- Chicago’s 9.0 strikeouts per game rank 21st in baseball.
- The Cubs average 1.2 homers per game when playing at home this season (67 total in home contests).
- Chicago has a .428 slugging percentage and is averaging 2.9 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team is batting .265 with 491 hits (8.9 per game) at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago with a slugging percentage of .405, fueled by 32 extra-base hits. He has a .281 batting average and an on-base percentage of .335.
- Among qualified hitters in the majors, he is 20th in batting average, 64th in on-base percentage, and 102nd in slugging.
- Hoerner will look for his third straight game with a hit in this contest. During his last five outings he is batting .261 with two doubles, a home run, a walk and an RBI.
- Cody Bellinger is hitting .317 with 16 doubles, a triple, 16 home runs and 24 walks. He’s slugging .545 with an on-base percentage of .367.
- Bellinger enters this game looking to extend his three-game hit streak. In his last five games he is hitting .316 with a double, a home run, two walks and three RBI.
- Candelario leads Chicago in total hits (99) this season, and 49 of those have gone for extra bases.
- Candelario takes a four-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .471 with two doubles, three walks and an RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago with an OBP of .375 this season while batting .246 with 75 walks and 51 runs scored.
Reds Stats & Trends
- The Reds rank 18th in Major League Baseball with 121 home runs.
- Cincinnati ranks 13th in MLB with a .253 team batting average.
- The Reds have an on-base percentage of .331 this season, which ranks sixth in the league.
- Cincinnati ranks 23rd with an average of 9.0 strikeouts per game.
- They have averaged 0.9 home runs per game in their 55 road contests this season.
- In 55 road games this season, it is slugging .406 with 173 hits going for extra bases.
- They are averaging 9.0 base hits per game and batting .257 on the road this season.
Reds Key Batters
- Spencer Steer has accumulated 105 hits with a .358 on-base percentage and a .457 slugging percentage, all club-bests for the Reds. He’s batting .273.
- He ranks 41st in batting average, 30th in on-base percentage and 51st in slugging percentage among all qualified batters in the big leagues.
- Jake Fraley has 14 doubles, 15 home runs and 32 walks while hitting .268. He’s slugging .475 with an on-base percentage of .349.
- TJ Friedl is hitting .276 with 17 doubles, three triples, seven home runs and 28 walks.
- Matt McLain is batting .305 with 20 doubles, four triples, 11 home runs and 24 walks.
Cubs vs. Reds Probable Pitchers
|Drew Smyly (CHC)||Pitcher||Brandon Williamson (CIN)|
|8 – 7||W/L||3 – 2|
Cubs vs. Reds Injury Updates
- Cubs: Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Reds: Curt Casali: 10 Day IL (Foot), Jonathan India: 10 Day IL (Heel), Casey Legumina: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Nick Lodolo: 60 Day IL (Calf), Hunter Greene: 60 Day IL (Hip), Reiver Sanmartin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Connor Overton: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Vladimir Gutierrez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tejay Antone: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Dunn: 60 Day IL (Shoulder)