Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (55-53) take on the Cincinnati Reds (59-51) after Jeimer Candelario had a four-hit showing in a 16-6 win over the Reds. The Cubs are favored (-160) in this matchup with the Reds (+136), which starts at 8:05 PM ET on Thursday. Chicago’s Jameson Taillon starts against Cincinnati’s Luke Weaver.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Reds
- Game Day: Thursday, August 3, 2023
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Reds?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are 12th in MLB play with 132 home runs. They average 1.2 per game.
- Chicago’s .258 batting average is sixth-best in the majors.
- The Cubs’ .335 on-base percentage ranks fourth-best in MLB.
- Chicago’s nine strikeouts per game rank 20th in MLB.
- The Cubs average 1.3 homers per game when playing at home this season (72 total in home outings).
- Chicago is averaging three extra-base hits per game while slugging .438 at home.
- The club is batting .268 with 507 hits (9.1 per game) at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago in slugging percentage (.401) thanks to 32 extra-base hits. He has a .279 batting average and an on-base percentage of .333.
- Among qualified hitters in MLB, he is 24th in batting average, 66th in on-base percentage, and 103rd in slugging.
- Hoerner hopes to build on a three-game hitting streak in this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .250 with two doubles, a home run, a walk and an RBI.
- Candelario leads Chicago with 103 hits. He is batting .273 this season and has 51 extra-base hits. He’s also slugging .499 with an on-base percentage of .355.
- His batting average is 41st among qualified players, his on-base percentage 33rd, and his slugging percentage 22nd.
- Candelario enters this matchup looking to extend his five-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is hitting .667 with four doubles, four walks and an RBI.
- Cody Bellinger has collected 93 base hits, an OBP of .368 and a slugging percentage of .541 this season.
- Bellinger has recorded a hit in four games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .286 with a double, a home run, two walks and four RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago with an OBP of .378 this season while batting .249 with 76 walks and 54 runs scored.
- Happ has hit safely in two straight games. During his last five outings he is hitting .313 with two doubles, three home runs, six walks and five RBI.
Reds Stats & Trends
- The Reds’ 125 home runs rank 16th in Major League Baseball.
- Cincinnati ranks 13th in MLB with a .253 team batting average.
- The Reds are among the best in the league at getting on base, ranking sixth with an OBP of .331.
- Cincinnati ranks 23rd with an average of 9.1 strikeouts per game.
- They have averaged 1 home runs per game in their 56 road contests this season.
- Cincinnati has a team slugging percentage of .410 in away games this season with 178 extra-base hits.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .257 with nine base hits per contest.
Reds Key Batters
- Spencer Steer has accumulated an on-base percentage of .357, a slugging percentage of .463, and has 106 hits, all club-highs for the Reds (while batting .272).
- Including all qualified hitters, he ranks 43rd in batting average, while his on-base percentage is 29th and he is 47th in slugging.
- Jake Fraley is batting .266 with 14 doubles, 15 home runs and 32 walks. He’s slugging .472 with an on-base percentage of .347.
- TJ Friedl is batting .281 with 17 doubles, three triples, eight home runs and 28 walks.
- Matt McLain has 20 doubles, four triples, 11 home runs and 24 walks while batting .305.
Cubs vs. Reds Probable Pitchers
|Jameson Taillon (CHC)||Pitcher||Luke Weaver (CIN)|
|5 – 6||W/L||2 – 3|
Cubs vs. Reds Injury Updates
- Cubs: Marcus Stroman: 15 Day IL (Hip), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Reds: Curt Casali: 10 Day IL (Foot), Jonathan India: 10 Day IL (Heel), Ben Lively: 15 Day IL (Pectoral), Casey Legumina: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Hunter Greene: 60 Day IL (Hip), Nick Lodolo: 60 Day IL (Calf), Reiver Sanmartin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Connor Overton: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Vladimir Gutierrez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tejay Antone: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Dunn: 60 Day IL (Shoulder)