Table of Contents
Spencer Torkelson leads the Detroit Tigers (54-66) into a matchup with the Cleveland Guardians (58-63) after his two-home run outing in an 8-7 win over the Twins. The Tigers are moneyline favorites (-120) in this game against the underdog Guardians (+101), which begins at 7:15 PM ET on Thursday. Detroit’s Tarik Skubal starts against Cleveland’s Xzavion Curry.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Tigers vs. Guardians
- Game Day: Thursday, August 17, 2023
- Game Time: 7:15 PM ET
- Location: Cleveland, Ohio
- Stadium: Progressive Field
How Do I Watch the Tigers vs. the Guardians?
- TV Channel: FOX
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers are 25th in MLB play with 119 home runs. They average 1.0 per game.
- Detroit has the fifth-worst batting average in MLB (.235).
- The Tigers’ .300 on-base percentage is the second-worst in MLB.
- Detroit’s 8.9 strikeouts per game rank 18th in baseball.
- The Tigers average 1.1 home runs per game when playing away from home this season (67 total in road contests).
- Detroit is slugging .374 with 2.7 extra-base hits per game in road contests.
- Away from home this season the team averages 7.6 hits per game and is batting .224.
Tigers Key Batters
- Torkelson has 103 hits to go with a slugging percentage of .431, both of which lead Detroit hitters this season. He has a .230 batting average and an on-base percentage of .309.
- Among qualified batters in the majors, he ranks 123rd in batting average, 109th in on-base percentage, and 77th in slugging.
- Torkelson hopes to build on a two-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .368 with a double, four home runs and five RBI.
- Riley Greene has 18 doubles, four triples, 11 home runs and 30 walks. He’s batting .309 and slugging .491 with an on-base percentage of .368.
- Kerry Carpenter has 74 hits this season and has a slash line of .286/.347/.521.
- Carpenter has logged a hit or more in 12 games in a row. During his last 10 outings he is batting .459 with two doubles, five home runs, three walks and seven RBI.
- Matt Vierling leads Detroit in OBP (.327) this season, fueled by 94 hits.
- Vierling takes a three-game hitting streak into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .238 with a double and two RBI.
Guardians Stats & Trends
- The Guardians have hit just 88 homers this season, which ranks last in the league.
- Cleveland has a team batting average of .250 this season, which ranks 16th among MLB teams.
- The Guardians have an on-base percentage of .312 this season, which ranks 23rd in the league.
- No team has fewer strikeouts this season than Cleveland, which has struck out only 7.0 times per game on average.
- They’ve hit 38 homers, an average of 0.6 per game, in 59 home contests this season.
- Cleveland has a team slugging percentage of .378 in home games this season with 169 extra-base hits.
- In 59 home games this season, they have a batting average of .246 while averaging 8.1 base hits per contest.
Guardians Key Batters
- Jose Ramirez a has .357 on-base percentage to lead the Guardians. He’s batting .284 while slugging .485.
- Including all qualifying hitters in MLB, he ranks 19th in batting average, 26th in on-base percentage and 30th in slugging percentage.
- Ramirez brings a three-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .278 with a double, three walks and an RBI.
- Steven Kwan’s .380 slugging percentage paces his team. He has a batting average of .272 with an on-base percentage of .340.
- Including all qualified hitters, his batting average puts him 42nd, his on-base percentage ranks 51st, and he is 118th in slugging.
- Andres Gimenez is batting .242 with 21 doubles, four triples, 11 home runs and 27 walks.
- Myles Straw has 15 doubles, three triples, a home run and 36 walks while hitting .240.
Tigers vs. Guardians Probable Pitchers
|Tarik Skubal (DET)||Pitcher||Xzavion Curry (CLE)|
|2 – 2||W/L||3 – 1|
Tigers vs. Guardians Injury Updates
- Tigers: Mason Englert: 15 Day IL (Hip), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tyler Alexander: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Spencer Turnbull: 60 Day IL (Neck), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Guardians: David Fry: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Josh Naylor: 10 Day IL (Side), Cal Quantrill: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Shane Bieber: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Triston McKenzie: 60 Day IL (Elbow)