Table of Contents
The Detroit Tigers (58-68) square off against the Chicago Cubs (65-60) after Andy Ibanez hit a pair of home runs in an 8-6 win over the Cubs. The Tigers are favored (-120) in this matchup with the Cubs (+101), which starts at 1:10 PM ET on Wednesday. Detroit has Tarik Skubal starting, while Chicago will send out Jameson Taillon.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Tigers vs. Cubs
- Game Day: Wednesday, August 23, 2023
- Game Time: 1:10 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
How Do I Watch the Tigers vs. the Cubs?
- TV Channel: MLB Network
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers rank 23rd in MLB action with 129 total home runs.
- Detroit has the fifth-worst batting average in the majors (.236).
- The Tigers rank 27th in MLB with an on-base percentage of .301.
- Detroit’s 8.9 strikeouts per game rank 22nd in baseball.
- The Tigers have hit 56 homers at home this season (0.9 per game).
- Detroit is slugging .387 with 2.7 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The club averages 8.4 hits per game and is batting .248 at home this season.
Tigers Key Batters
- Spencer Torkelson leads Detroit with 111 hits and a team-best slugging percentage of .449. He’s batting .237 with an on-base percentage of .320.
- Among qualified hitters in MLB, his batting average ranks 119th, his on-base percentage ranks 95th, and he is 61st in slugging.
- Kerry Carpenter is hitting .288 with 12 doubles, a triple, 19 home runs and 24 walks. He’s slugging .541 with an on-base percentage of .354.
- Carpenter enters this game looking to extend his four-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is batting .333 with a double, three home runs, three walks and seven RBI.
- Riley Greene has collected 103 base hits, an OBP of .359 and a slugging percentage of .470 this season.
- Javier Baez has eight home runs, 53 RBI and a batting average of .223 this season.
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 13th in Major League Baseball with 154 home runs.
- Chicago has a team batting average of .254 this season, which ranks 10th among MLB teams.
- The Cubs are among the best in the league at getting on base, ranking sixth with an OBP of .330.
- Chicago ranks 20th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 8.9 Ks per contest.
- In 60 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 71 homers, an average of 1.2 per contest.
- Chicago has a team slugging percentage of .407 in away games this season with 182 extra-base hits.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .245 with 8.4 base hits per contest.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner has a .396 slugging percentage, which leads the Cubs. He’s batting .279 with an on-base percentage of .339.
- He is 24th in batting average, 48th in on-base percentage and 106th in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters in the majors.
- Cody Bellinger has 114 hits with a .369 OBP to pace his team in both. He has a batting average of .321 while slugging .555.
- Including all qualifying players, he ranks fifth in batting average, 17th in on-base percentage and seventh in slugging percentage.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .271 with 36 doubles, three triples, 18 home runs and 44 walks.
- Ian Happ is hitting .238 with 23 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs and 81 walks.
Tigers vs. Cubs Probable Pitchers
|Tarik Skubal (DET)||Pitcher||Jameson Taillon (CHC)|
|3 – 2||W/L||7 – 8|
Tigers vs. Cubs Injury Updates
- Tigers: Mason Englert: 15 Day IL (Hip), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tyler Alexander: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Spencer Turnbull: 60 Day IL (Neck), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Javier Báez: day-to-day (Illness)
- Cubs: Marcus Stroman: 15 Day IL (Rib), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)