Table of Contents
Justin Verlander looks for his 10th win of the campaign when his Houston Astros (73-58) visit the Detroit Tigers (59-70). The Astros are favored in the matchup (-189) against the Tigers (+158), and the game starts at 1:40 PM ET on Sunday. Verlander gets the starting nod for Houston, and Alex Faedo is Detroit’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Tigers
- Game Day: Sunday, August 27, 2023
- Game Time: 1:40 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
How Do I Watch the Astros vs. the Tigers?
- TV Channel: BSDET
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros rank ninth-best in MLB play with 168 total home runs.
- Houston’s .253 batting average ranks 14th in MLB.
- The Astros are 10th in MLB with a .326 on-base percentage.
- Houston’s hitters strike out 7.9 times per game, the fourth-fewest strikeouts in the majors.
- The Astros have hit 93 homers on the road this season (1.4 per game).
- Houston has a .427 slugging percentage and is averaging 3.2 extra-base hits per game away from home.
- The team averages 8.9 hits per game and is batting .253 away from home this season.
Astros Key Batters
- Kyle Tucker leads Houston in OBP (.371), slugging percentage (.516) and total hits (135) this season. He has a .290 batting average.
- Among qualified batters, he is 12th in batting average, his on-base percentage ranks 14th, and he is 12th in slugging.
- Alex Bregman has 21 doubles, three triples, 21 home runs and 75 walks. He’s batting .259 and slugging .439 with an on-base percentage of .360.
- Among all qualifying players, he ranks 69th in batting average, 22nd in on-base percentage and 68th in slugging percentage.
- Yordan Alvarez has collected 82 base hits, an OBP of .380 and a slugging percentage of .538 this season.
- Chas McCormick has been key for Houston with 86 hits, an OBP of .364 plus a slugging percentage of .518.
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers have hit 131 homers this season, which ranks 24th in the league.
- Detroit ranks 26th in MLB with a team batting average of just .235.
- The Tigers have an OBP of just .301 this season, which ranks 27th in MLB.
- Detroit ranks 21st in strikeouts per game (9.0) among MLB offenses.
- In 64 games at home this season, they’ve hit 58 homers, an average of 0.9 per contest.
- Detroit is slugging .382 in 64 home games this season.
- They are averaging 8.3 base hits per game and batting .246 as a team at home this season.
Tigers Key Batters
- Spencer Torkelson has put up a slugging percentage of .438 and has 111 hits, both team-best numbers for the Tigers. He’s batting .232 and with an on-base percentage of .315.
- He ranks 123rd in batting average, 102nd in on-base percentage and 69th in slugging percentage among all qualifying batters in the majors.
- Kerry Carpenter has 12 doubles, a triple, 20 home runs and 24 walks while hitting .293. He’s slugging .548 with an on-base percentage of .356.
- Riley Greene is batting .293 with 19 doubles, four triples, 11 home runs and 33 walks.
- Zach McKinstry is hitting .239 with 17 doubles, two triples, seven home runs and 37 walks.
Astros vs. Tigers Probable Pitchers
|Justin Verlander (HOU)||Pitcher||Alex Faedo (DET)|
|9 – 6||W/L||2 – 4|
Astros vs. Tigers Injury Updates
- Astros: Grae Kessinger: 10 Day IL (Health and safety protocols), Phil Maton: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Luis Garcia: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Michael Brantley: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Lance McCullers Jr.: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Tigers: Mason Englert: 15 Day IL (Hip), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tyler Alexander: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Matt Manning: day-to-day (Undisclosed)