Table of Contents
The San Diego Padres (69-78) and the Oakland Athletics (46-100) square off in the first of a three-game series on Friday at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, starting at 9:40 PM ET. The favored Padres (-245) are coming off of a 2-1 series win over the Dodgers, and the underdog Athletics (+200) head into the matchup following a 2-1 series win over the Astros. San Diego’s Seth Lugo starts against Oakland’s Sean Newcomb.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Padres vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Friday, September 15, 2023
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
How Do I Watch the Padres vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: NBCS-CA
Padres Stats & Trends
- The Padres are 13th in baseball with 190 home runs. They average 1.3 per game.
- San Diego’s .240 batting average ranks 22nd in the majors.
- The Padres rank 11th in baseball with a .326 on-base percentage.
- San Diego’s batters strike out 8.1 times per game, the ninth-fewest strikeouts in the majors.
- The Padres average 1.4 homers per game when playing away from home this season (100 total in road outings).
- San Diego is averaging 3.2 extra-base hits per game while slugging .413 away from home.
- Away from home this season the club averages 8.1 hits per game and is batting .237.
Padres Key Batters
- Juan Soto has 135 hits and an OBP of .399, both of which are best among San Diego hitters this season. He has a .262 batting average and a slugging percentage of .494.
- Among all qualified hitters in MLB, his batting average ranks 73rd, his on-base percentage ranks seventh, and he is 22nd in slugging.
- Soto hopes to build on a three-game hitting streak in this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .368 with a double, two home runs, two walks and five RBI.
- Fernando Tatis Jr. is hitting .261 with 30 doubles, a triple, 24 home runs and 46 walks, while slugging .461 with an on-base percentage of .323.
- Among qualified hitters, he is 77th in batting average, 87th in on-base percentage and 51st in slugging percentage.
- Tatis brings a three-game streak with at least one hit into this contest. During his last five outings he is batting .217 with a double, a home run and three RBI.
- Manny Machado is batting .252 with a .458 slugging percentage and 84 RBI this year.
- Machado takes a two-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .261 with a double, two home runs and five RBI.
- Ha-Seong Kim has 17 home runs, 59 RBI and a batting average of .268 this season.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics’ 156 home runs rank 22nd in Major League Baseball.
- Oakland ranks last in MLB with a team batting average of just .224.
- The Athletics have an on-base percentage of .300 this season, which ranks 29th in the league.
- Oakland ranks 24th with an average of 9.2 strikeouts per game.
- They have averaged 1.0 home runs per game in their 71 home contests this season.
- Oakland is slugging .360 in 71 home games this season.
- In 71 home games this season, they have a batting average of .216 while averaging 7.0 base hits per contest.
Athletics Key Batters
- Esteury Ruiz has put up a team-best .340 slugging percentage. He’s batting .250 with an on-base percentage of .303.
- Including all qualifying hitters in MLB, he is 98th in batting average, 124th in on-base percentage and 135th in slugging percentage.
- Brent Rooker has collected 99 hits with a .324 on-base percentage to pace his team in both. He has a batting average of .239 while slugging .461.
- He is currently 113th in batting average, 85th in on-base percentage and 51st in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters.
- Ryan Noda has 20 doubles, a triple, 15 home runs and 69 walks while batting .239.
- Tony Kemp is batting .211 with 13 doubles, three triples, five home runs and 41 walks.
Padres vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Seth Lugo (SD)||Pitcher||Sean Newcomb (OAK)|
|6 – 7||W/L||1 – 0|
Padres vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Padres: Jake Cronenworth: 10 Day IL (Wrist), Ji-Man Choi: 10 Day IL (Rib), Joe Musgrove: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Yu Darvish: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Steven Wilson: 15 Day IL (Hip), Drew Carlton: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tim Hill: 60 Day IL (Finger), Reiss Knehr: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Gary Sánchez: 60 Day IL (Wrist), Alek Jacob: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drew Pomeranz: 60 Day IL (Elbow/flexor), Xander Bogaerts: day-to-day (Calf), Manny Machado: day-to-day (Elbow)
- Athletics: JJ Bleday: 10 Day IL (Knee), Austin Pruitt: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Freddy Tarnok: 15 Day IL (Calf), Angel Felipe: 15 Day IL (Elbow), James Kaprielian: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Zach Jackson: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drew Rucinski: 60 Day IL (Illness), Richard Lovelady: 60 Day IL (Arm), Yacksel Ríos: 60 Day IL (Finger)