Table of Contents
Jo’Quavious Marks will lead the Mississippi State Bulldogs (2-1) into their battle against the South Carolina Gamecocks (1-2) at Williams-Brice Stadium, on Saturday at 7:30 PM ET.
The Gamecocks are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-6), against the Bulldogs. The over/under for this game is 50.5 points.
Game Info for South Carolina vs. Mississippi State
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
- TV Channel: SEC Network
- Location: Columbia, South Carolina
- Stadium: Williams-Brice Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
South Carolina Pick Insights
- South Carolina is 2-1-0 against the spread this season.
- In games it has played as at least 6-point favorites this season, South Carolina is 1-0 against the spread.
- South Carolina has combined with its opponent to hit the over in one of three games with a set total (33.3%).
South Carolina Stats & Insights
- South Carolina is putting up 410.3 yards per game on offense (54th in the FBS), and rank 105th on defense, yielding 406 yards allowed per game.
- South Carolina is averaging 26 points per game on offense, which ranks them 82nd in the FBS. On the defensive side of the ball, the defense ranks 81st, giving up 25.3 points per game.
- South Carolina ranks 103rd in pass defense this year (260.3 passing yards allowed per game), but has been thriving on the other side of the ball, ranking eighth-best in the FBS with 357.3 passing yards per game.
- South Carolina has been a bottom-25 run offense this season, ranking fifth-worst with 53 rushing yards per game. Defensively, the Gamecocks are ranked 86th in the FBS (145.7 rushing yards allowed per game).
- South Carolina ranks 62nd in third-down efficiency (42.9%) on offense and 98th in third-down conversion rate allowed (44.2%) on defense this season.
- South Carolina has forced three total turnovers (82nd in the FBS) this season and have turned it over three times (32nd in the FBS) for an even turnover margin, 59th-ranked in college football.
South Carolina’s Best Players
- Spencer Rattler has thrown for 954 yards (318 ypg) to lead South Carolina, completing 71.3% of his passes and recording four touchdown passes compared to two interceptions this season.
- Dakereon Joyner has racked up 75 yards on 28 carries while finding paydirt three times as a runner. He’s also caught 10 passes for 65 yards (21.7 per game).
- Mario Anderson has carried the ball eight times for 41 yards (13.7 per game).
- Xavier Legette’s team-leading 367 yards as a receiver have come on 22 catches (out of 27 targets) with one touchdown.
- Eddie Lewis has caught seven passes for 112 yards (37.3 yards per game) this year.
- O’Mega Blake’s six grabs are good enough for 93 yards and one touchdown.
- T.J. Sanders has two sacks to lead the team, and also has four TFL and 13 tackles.
- Debo Williams, South Carolina’s tackle leader, has 26 tackles and two TFL this year.
- Xzavier McLeod has picked off a team-leading one pass. He also has one pass defended to his name.
Mississippi State Betting Insights
- Mississippi State is 1-2-0 against the spread this year.
- Mississippi State has not yet covered the spread as underdogs of 6 points or more this season (0-1).
- Mississippi State has hit the over in one of three games with a set total (33.3%).
Mississippi State Pick Insights
- Mississippi State is putting up 344.3 total yards per game on offense this season (97th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is allowing 389.7 total yards per contest (100th-ranked).
- With 31 points per game on offense, Mississippi State ranks 61st in the FBS. On defense, it ranks 75th, surrendering 24 points per contest.
- In terms of passing, this season has been ugly for Mississippi State on both sides of the ball, as it is averaging only 165.3 passing yards per game (17th-worst) and ceding 277.3 passing yards per game (19th-worst).
- Mississippi State is accumulating 179 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (48th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is surrendering 112.3 rushing yards per contest (49th-ranked) on defense.
- Mississippi State ranks 15th-worst in third-down conversion percentage (31.4%), but it has been more effective on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 81st in the FBS with a 40.9% third-down rate allowed.
- Mississippi State has excelled in terms of turnovers, as its turnover margin of +5 ranks seventh-best in the FBS, with six forced turnovers (25th in the nation) and one turnover committed (third in the nation).
Mississippi State’s Best Players
- Will Rogers leads Mississippi State with 492 yards on 44-of-74 passing with five touchdowns compared to zero interceptions this season.
- Marks has rushed 51 times for a team-high 325 yards (108.3 per game) with three touchdowns. He also leads the team through the air, as his nine receptions this season are good for 90 yards.
- Michael Wright has run for 97 yards across seven attempts.
- Lideatrick Griffin’s 132 receiving yards (44 yards per game) are best on his team. He has 13 catches on 15 targets with two touchdowns.
- Creed Whittemore’s five targets have resulted in four grabs for 59 yards and one touchdown.
- Nathaniel Watson has two sacks to pace the team, and also has one TFL, 21 tackles, and one interception.
- Jett Johnson has been all over the field, leading the team in both tackles and interceptions. He has 21 tackles, two TFL, two sacks, and two interceptions so far.