Table of Contents
The East Carolina Pirates (1-3) will visit the Rice Owls (2-2) on Saturday at 7:00 PM ET.
The Owls are favored, but by less than a touchdown (-3.5), against the Pirates. The over/under for this matchup is 46.5 points.
Game Info for Rice vs. East Carolina
- Game Day: Saturday, September 30, 2023
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN+
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Rice Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
Rice Pick Insights
- Rice has covered the spread twice in three games this season.
- In Rice’s three games with a set total, two have hit the over (66.7%).
Rice Stats & Insights
- Rice sports the 60th-ranked offense this year (405.8 yards per game), and have been less effective on defense, ranking 22nd-worst with 419.3 yards allowed per game.
- Rice is averaging 35.3 points per game on offense this season (35th in the FBS), and is surrendering 31.8 points per game (108th) on the other side of the ball.
- Rice has struggled on defense against the pass, ranking 17th-worst in the FBS (274.8 passing yards allowed per game) this season. However, the Owls rank 12th-best on offense, totaling 323.8 passing yards per game.
- Rice has been a bottom-25 run offense this year, ranking ninth-worst with 82 rushing yards per contest. On defense, the Owls are ranked 83rd in the FBS (144.5 rushing yards allowed per game).
- Rice is putting up a 43.9% third-down conversion rate offensively this year (51st in the FBS), and is allowing a 41.1% third-down percentage (84th) on defense.
- Rice owns the 82nd-ranked turnover margin in college football at -1, forcing four turnovers (97th in the FBS) while turning it over five times (50th in the FBS).
Rice’s Best Players
- JT Daniels has recorded 1,237 yards (309.3 ypg) on 80-of-125 passing with 11 touchdowns compared to three interceptions this season.
- Dean Connors has racked up 139 rushing yards on 29 carries, scoring one touchdown. He’s also added 194 yards (48.5 per game) on 16 catches with two touchdowns.
- Juma Otoviano has piled up 65 yards on 30 carries. He’s grabbed five passes for 64 yards (16 per game), as well.
- Luke McCaffrey’s team-leading 370 yards as a receiver have come on 20 catches (out of 39 targets) with four touchdowns.
- Braylen Walker’s eight receptions have yielded 178 yards and two touchdowns.
- De’Braylon Carroll has racked up two sacks to pace the team, while also recording one TFL and 11 tackles.
- Rice’s leading tackler, Plae Wyatt, has 24 tackles, two TFL, and one sack this year.
- Tre’Shon Devones has picked off a team-high one pass. He also has 11 tackles, one TFL, and one pass defended to his name.
East Carolina Betting Insights
- East Carolina has covered the spread twice in four opportunities this year.
- East Carolina has a 1-1 record against the spread in games it was an underdog by 3.5 points or more this year.
- East Carolina hase gone over in two of four games with a set total (50%).
East Carolina Pick Insights
- East Carolina ranks fifth-worst in total yards per game (277.5), but it has been better on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 55th in the FBS with 341.5 total yards surrendered per contest.
- East Carolina is accumulating 22 points per contest on offense this season (100th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is allowing 26 points per game (79th-ranked) on defense.
- East Carolina’s passing game has been struggling, ranking 13th-worst in the FBS with 150 passing yards per game. It has been more productive on defense, allowing 203 passing yards per contest (45th-ranked).
- East Carolina is compiling 127.5 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (98th-ranked). Meanwhile, it is giving up 138.5 rushing yards per game (78th-ranked) on defense.
- East Carolina ranks 102nd in third-down conversion rate (35.7%) on offense, but it has been less productive defensively, ranking 24th-worst in the FBS with a 46.3% third-down percentage allowed.
- With eight forced turnovers (18th in the FBS) and seven turnovers committed (88th in the FBS) this season, East Carolina ranks 50th in the FBS with a turnover margin of +1.
East Carolina’s Best Players
- Alex Flinn has thrown for 365 yards (91.3 ypg) while completing 50% of his passes and tossing one touchdown pass with four interceptions this season.
- The team’s top rusher, Mason Garcia, has carried the ball 32 times for 178 yards (44.5 per game) with one touchdown.
- Rahjai Harris has piled up 171 yards (on 42 attempts) with three touchdowns.
- Jaylen Johnson’s 178 receiving yards (44.5 yards per game) are best on his team. He has 16 catches on 27 targets.
- Jsi Hatfield has nine receptions (on 19 targets) for a total of 128 yards (32 yards per game) this year.
- Jhari Patterson’s 14 targets have resulted in nine grabs for 75 yards.
- Jeremy Lewis has collected one sack to pace the team, while also picking up two TFL and 10 tackles.
- Julius Wood is the team’s tackle leader this year. He’s racked up 29 tackles and one TFL.
- Antoine Jackson has a team-high one interception to go along with three tackles and one pass defended.