Table of Contents
Nelson Cruz will try to get his 100th hit of the season (he has 97) when the Washington Nationals (43-86) play the Oakland Athletics (49-81) on Wednesday at 7:05 PM ET. The Nationals are underdogs (-107) versus the Athletics (-112). James Kaprielian starts for Oakland while Washington will counter with Anibal Sanchez.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Athletics vs. Nationals
- Game Day: Wednesday, August 31, 2022
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Stadium: Nationals Park
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit 109 home runs this season, the fifth-lowest total in MLB action.
- The Athletics have the worst batting average in the majors (.216).
- The Athletics rank last in the league with an on-base percentage of .280.
- The Athletics’ 8.4 strikeouts per game rank 15th in baseball.
- The Athletics average 1.1 home runs per road game this season (69 total on the road).
- The Athletics have a .373 slugging percentage and are averaging 2.7 extra-base hits per game on the road.
- The team is batting .228 with 493 hits (7.7 per game) on the road this season.
Athletics Key Batters
- Sean Murphy has 110 hits and an OBP of .337 to go with a slugging percentage of .452. All three of those stats are best among Oakland hitters this season.
- Murphy is 72nd in batting average, 59th in on-base percentage, and 48th in slugging among qualifying hitters in baseball.
- Murphy will look for his third straight game with a hit in this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .316 with a home run, three walks and five RBI.
- Seth Brown is hitting .219 with 21 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs and 35 walks.
- Brown is 131st in batting average, 131st in on-base percentage and 79th in slugging in the major leagues.
- Tony Kemp has collected 89 base hits, an OBP of .302 and a slugging percentage of .310 this season.
- Kemp heads into this matchup with three games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .333 with two doubles, two walks and three RBI.
- Chad Pinder has been key for Oakland with 72 hits, an OBP of .263 plus a slugging percentage of .387.
Nationals Stats & Trends
- The Nationals’ 109 home runs rank 26th in MLB this season.
- The Nationals’ .247 batting average ranks 12th in the league this season.
- The Nationals have an OBP of .312 this season, which ranks 17th in MLB.
- The Nationals rank second in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 7.4 whiffs per contest.
- In 67 games at home this season, they’ve hit 63 homers, an average of 0.9 per contest.
- In 67 home games this season, they’re slugging .378 with 169 hits going for extra bases.
- In home games this season, they’re batting .242 with 8.0 base hits per contest.
Nationals Key Batters
- Cruz is batting .233 with 16 doubles, 10 home runs and 46 walks.
- Cruz ranks 117th in batting average, 101st in on-base percentage and 134th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters in the big leagues.
- Cesar Hernandez’s .311 slugging percentage leads his team.
- Including all qualified players, Hernandez is 95th in batting average, 114th in on-base percentage and 140th in slugging percentage.
- Keibert Ruiz has 21 doubles, six home runs and 28 walks while batting .247.
- Lane Thomas’ 90 hits pace his team.
Athletics vs. Nationals Probable Pitchers