Nelson Cruz has 98 hits this season, and will try to get his 100th when the Washington Nationals (44-86) take on the Oakland Athletics (49-82) on Thursday at 4:05 PM ET. The Nationals are favored (-120) over the Athletics (+100). Washington’s Paolo Espino starts against Oakland’s Ken Waldichuk.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Nationals vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Thursday, September 1, 2022
- Game Time: 4:05 PM ET
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Stadium: Nationals Park
Nationals Stats & Trends
- The Nationals have hit 110 home runs this season, the fourth-lowest total in baseball.
- The Nationals rank 12th in the majors with a .247 batting average.
- The Nationals’ .312 on-base percentage ranks 17th in the league.
- Nationals hitters strike out 7.4 times per game, the second-fewest strikeouts in baseball.
- The Nationals average 0.9 homers per game when playing at home this season (64 total in home contests).
- The Nationals are averaging 2.5 extra-base hits per game while slugging .379 in home contests.
- The club averages eight hits per game and is batting .242 at home this season.
Nationals Key Batters
- Cruz leads Washington in OBP (.313) this season, fueled by 98 hits.
- Among qualified hitters in baseball, Cruz is 117th in batting average, 100th in on-base percentage, and 134th in slugging.
- Cesar Hernandez has an OPS of .616, fueled by an OBP of .305 and a team-best slugging percentage of .311 this season.
- Among qualifiers, Hernandez is 94th in batting average, 113th in on-base percentage and 140th in slugging percentage.
- Hernandez enters this game looking to extend his two-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is batting .211 with a double and a walk.
- Keibert Ruiz is batting .247 with a .352 slugging percentage and 32 RBI this year.
- Ruiz has logged a hit or more in six games in a row. During his last 10 games he is hitting .273 with three doubles, three walks and two RBI.
- Lane Thomas has 14 home runs, 42 RBI and a batting average of .240 this season.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit just 110 homers this season, which ranks 27th in the league.
- The Athletics rank last in MLB with a team batting average of just .215.
- The Athletics have an on-base percentage of .280 this season, which ranks last in the league.
- The Athletics rank 15th with an average of 8.4 strikeouts per game.
- In 65 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 70 homers, an average of 1.1 per contest.
- In 65 road games this season, they’re slugging .372 with 176 hits going for extra bases.
- In 65 road games this season, they have a batting average of .227 while averaging 7.7 base hits per contest.
Athletics Key Batters
- Sean Murphy has racked up 111 hits with a .338 on-base percentage and a .451 slugging percentage, all club-bests for the Athletics.
- Including all the qualified players in the majors, Murphy is 72nd in batting average, 57th in on-base percentage and 48th in slugging percentage.
- Murphy brings a three-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .316 with a home run, three walks and five RBI.
- Seth Brown is hitting .221 with 22 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs and 35 walks.
- Including all qualified players, Brown ranks 131st in batting average, 130th in on-base percentage and 76th in slugging percentage.
- Tony Kemp is batting .226 with 21 doubles, four home runs and 38 walks.
- Chad Pinder is hitting .234 with 16 doubles, 10 home runs and 12 walks.
Nationals vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers