Table of Contents
The St. Louis Cardinals (81-57) square off against the Pittsburgh Pirates (50-86) after Yadier Molina hit a pair of home runs in an 11-6 loss to the Nationals. The Cardinals are favored (-202) in this matchup with the Pirates (+169), which starts at 6:35 PM ET on Friday. Miles Mikolas starts for St. Louis, and Roansy Contreras is Pittsburgh’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cardinals vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Friday, September 9, 2022
- Game Time: 6:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
Cardinals Stats & Trends
- The Cardinals average 1.3 home runs per game to rank sixth in MLB action with 175 total home runs.
- The Cardinals have the sixth-best batting average in the majors (.257).
- The Cardinals’ .329 on-base percentage ranks second-best in the league.
- The Cardinals strike out 7.6 times per game, the sixth-fewest mark in the league.
- The Cardinals have hit 84 home runs away from home this season (1.3 per game).
- The Cardinals are slugging .426 with 3.3 extra-base hits per game in road contests.
- The club is batting .259 with 616 hits (9.2 per game) on the road this season.
Cardinals Key Batters
- Paul Goldschmidt has 161 hits and an OBP of .416 to go with a slugging percentage of .613. All three of those stats lead St. Louis hitters this season.
- Among all qualifying batters in the majors, Goldschmidt ranks first in batting average, first in on-base percentage, and second in slugging.
- Goldschmidt has hit safely in three straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .235 with a double, a home run, three walks and two RBI.
- Nolan Arenado is hitting .300 with 37 doubles, a triple, 28 home runs and 44 walks.
- Among qualifying batters, Arenado’s batting average ranks him 13th, his on-base percentage 21st, and his slugging percentage sixth.
- Tommy Edman has collected 135 base hits, an OBP of .324 and a slugging percentage of .410 this season.
- Edman has picked up a hit in 11 games in a row. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .410 with six doubles, three home runs, a walk and nine RBI.
- Brendan Donovan has three home runs, 38 RBI and a batting average of .297 this season.
- Donovan brings a three-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .375 with a double, a home run, three walks and an RBI.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates have hit 131 homers this season, which ranks 19th in the league.
- The Pirates rank 29th in MLB with a team batting average of just .219.
- The Pirates have an on-base percentage of .286 this season, which ranks 28th in the league.
- The Pirates rank 29th in strikeouts per game (9.3) among MLB offenses.
- In 68 games at home this season, they’ve hit 62 homers, an average of 0.9 per contest.
- They have a team slugging percentage of .357 in home games this season with 162 extra-base hits.
- In home games this season, they’re batting .221 with 7.1 base hits per contest.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has an on-base percentage of .335, a slugging percentage of .446, and has 113 hits, all club-highs for the Pirates.
- Including all qualifying players in the majors, Reynolds is 72nd in batting average, 58th in on-base percentage and 50th in slugging percentage.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .241 with 20 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 41 walks.
- Hayes ranks 102nd in batting average, 102nd in on-base percentage and 130th in slugging percentage in MLB.
- Ben Gamel has 18 doubles, two triples, seven home runs and 38 walks while hitting .235.
- Michael Chavis has 14 doubles, two triples, 14 home runs and 14 walks while hitting .238.
Cardinals vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers