Table of Contents
The Tennessee Volunteers (2-0) will host the Akron Zips (1-1) on Saturday at 7:00 PM ET.
The Zips are expected to lose by at least two TDs (currently +47.5) against the Volunteers (with an over/under of 68 points).
Game Info and Betting Lines for Tennessee vs. Akron
- Game Day: Saturday, September 17, 2022
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN+
- Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
- Stadium: Neyland Stadium
|Favorite||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline|
Tennessee Betting Insights
- Tennessee went 5-8-0 ATS last season.
- A total of 10 Tennessee games last season hit the over.
Tennessee Stats & Insights
- Tennessee averaged 39.3 points per game last year, comparable to the 39.5 per matchup Akron gave up.
- Tennessee was 5-1 against the spread and 6-0 overall last season when the team recorded more than 39.5 points.
- Akron had a 4-2 record against the spread and a 2-4 record overall in games when it surrendered fewer than 39.3 points last year.
- Tennessee collected only 8.2 more yards per game (474.8) than Akron allowed per contest (466.6) last year.
- In games that Tennessee amassed over 466.6 yards last season, the team was 3-2 against the spread and 4-1 overall.
- Akron had a 4-2 record ATS and a 2-4 record overall when holding its opponents to fewer than 474.8 yards last season.
- Last year Tennessee averaged 217.8 rushing yards per game, 31.1 fewer than Akron allowed per contest (248.9).
- Tennessee had a 2-2 ATS record and a 4-0 overall record when the team ran for over 248.9 yards last year.
- When Akron held its opponents to less than 217.8 yards on the ground last year, it was 2-1 against the spread and 2-1 overall.
- Last year Tennessee turned the ball over 13 times, two more than Akron’s takeaways (11).
Tennessee’s Best Players
- Last season Hendon Hooker put up 2,945 passing yards — including a 68.2% completion percentage — with 31 touchdowns and three interceptions (226.5 yards per game). His rushing performance consisted of 166 carries for 619 yards and five TDs.
- Last year Jabari Small took 140 carries for 792 yards (60.9 per game) and scored nine touchdowns.
- Cedric Tillman hauled in 64 catches for 1,081 yards (83.2 per game) while being targeted 89 times. He also scored 12 touchdowns.
- Velus Jones Jr. amassed 807 yards on 62 grabs with seven touchdowns. He was targeted 80 times, and averaged 62.1 receiving yards per game.
- JaVonta Payton’s stat line last season: 413 receiving yards, 18 catches, six touchdowns, on 38 targets.
- Last season Byron Young stacked up 5.5 sacks, 10.0 TFL, 35 tackles, and one interception.
- Last season Jeremy Banks racked up 108 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 5.5 sacks, and one interception.
- Jaylen McCollough collected three interceptions while adding 39 tackles, 2.0 TFL, one sack, and three passes defended last year.
Akron Betting Insights
- Akron won five games against the spread last year, failing to cover seven times.
- Akron did not cover the spread last year (0-1 ATS) when playing as at least 47.5-point underdogs.
- Akron and its opponent combined to hit the over six out of 12 times last year.
Akron Stats & Insights
- Akron racked up 9.3 fewer points per game (19.8) than Tennessee allowed (29.1) last year.
- Akron was 3-0 against the spread and 2-1 overall last year when the team scored over 29.1 points.
- Last year Tennessee had a 2-1 record against the spread and a 3-0 record overall in games when it held opponents to less than 19.8 points.
- Akron averaged 77.4 fewer yards per game (344.3) than Tennessee allowed per contest (421.7) last year.
- When Akron piled up more than 421.7 yards last season, the team was 2-0 against the spread and 1-1 overall.
- When Tennessee kept its opponents to less than 344.3 yards last year, it had a 2-2 record ATS and a 4-0 record overall.
- Last season Akron rushed for 21.2 fewer yards per game (127.3) than Tennessee allowed per contest (148.5).
- When Akron ran for over 148.5 yards last year it had a 1-3 ATS record and a 1-3 overall record.
- Tennessee was 3-4 against the spread and 5-2 overall when holding opponents to fewer than 127.3 rushing yards last year.
- Akron turned the ball over one more time (16 total) than Tennessee forced turnovers (15) last season.
Akron’s Best Players
- Zach Gibson completed 69.4% of his passes to throw for 1,262 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.
- Jonzell Norrils racked up three rushing touchdowns on 47.8 yards per game last season.
- DJ Iron rushed for 289 yards and two touchdowns last season.
- Konata Mumpfield was targeted 8.2 times per game and racked up 751 receiving yards and eight touchdowns over the course of 2021.
- Michael Mathison grabbed three touchdowns and had 686 receiving yards (57.2 ypg) in 2021.
- Tristian Brank hauled in 25 passes on his way to 269 receiving yards and three touchdowns a season ago.
- Jeslord Boateng proved to be a menacing defender last year, recording 1.5 sacks, 5.0 TFL and 69 tackles.
- Last year Charles Amankwaa intercepted three passes to go along with 38 tackles, 2.0 TFL, one sack, and three passes defended.