Table of Contents
Pavin Smith takes a two-game home run streak into the Arizona Diamondbacks’ (11-8) matchup with the San Diego Padres (9-11). The Padres are moneyline favorites (-139) over the Diamondbacks (+117), and it starts at 9:40 PM ET on Thursday at Chase Field. Michael Wacha gets the starting nod for San Diego, and Ryne Nelson is Arizona’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Padres vs. Diamondbacks
- Game Day: Thursday, April 20, 2023
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona
- Stadium: Chase Field
How Do I Watch the Padres vs. the Diamondbacks?
- TV Channel: MLB Network
Padres Stats & Trends
- The Padres average 1.2 home runs per game to rank seventh in MLB play with 23 total home runs.
- San Diego has the fourth-worst batting average in the majors (.223).
- The Padres are 21st in baseball with an on-base percentage of .308.
- San Diego strikes out 8.7 times per game, the No. 23 average in MLB.
- The Padres average 1.1 homers per road game this season (eight total away from home).
- San Diego is slugging .381 with 2.9 extra-base hits per game in road contests.
- On the road this season the team averages 7.4 hits per game and is batting .225.
Padres Key Batters
- Xander Bogaerts leads San Diego in OBP (.414), slugging percentage (.539) and total hits (26) this season.
- Among qualified hitters, Bogaerts is 11th in batting average, his on-base percentage ranks 18th, and he is 32nd in slugging.
- Juan Soto is batting .194 with three doubles, four home runs and 21 walks.
- Among all qualifying players, Soto is 168th in batting average, 44th in on-base percentage and 94th in slugging percentage.
- Soto has picked up at least one hit in two straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .214 with a home run, eight walks and two RBI.
- Jake Cronenworth has 14 hits this season and has a slash line of .215/.316/.431.
- Cronenworth has picked up a hit in two straight games. During his last five outings he is hitting .263 with two doubles, two home runs, a walk and six RBI.
- Trent Grisham has four home runs, five RBI and a batting average of .214 this season.
Diamondbacks Stats & Trends
- The Diamondbacks’ 17 home runs rank 23rd in Major League Baseball.
- Arizona has a team batting average of .259 this season, which ranks seventh among MLB teams.
- The Diamondbacks have the 24th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.304).
- Arizona has shown good bat-to-ball skills at the plate this season with the third-best strikeout rate (7.4 per game) among MLB offenses.
- They’ve hit seven homers, an average of 1.0 per game, in seven home contests this season.
- Arizona has a team slugging percentage of .496 in home games this season with 31 extra-base hits.
- In seven home games this season, they have a batting average of .298 while averaging 10.3 base hits per contest.
Diamondbacks Key Batters
- Corbin Carroll has totaled 19 hits with a .554 slugging percentage, both team-high numbers for the Diamondbacks.
- Including all the qualifying hitters in the big leagues, Carroll’s batting average ranks 47th, his on-base percentage is 97th, and he is 25th in slugging.
- Ketel Marte is batting .261 with six doubles, a triple, two home runs and two walks.
- Including all qualifying hitters, Marte ranks 89th in batting average, 133rd in on-base percentage and 68th in slugging percentage.
- Josh Rojas has racked up an on-base percentage of .359 and a slugging percentage of .424. Both lead the Diamondbacks.
- Geraldo Perdomo is batting .375 with four doubles, a home run and five walks.
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Probable Pitchers
|Michael Wacha (SD)||Pitcher||Ryne Nelson (ARI)|
|2 – 1||W/L||1 – 0|
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Injury Updates
- Padres: David Dahl: 10 Day IL (Quadricep), Luis Campusano: 10 Day IL (Thumb sprain), Adam Engel: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Nabil Crismatt: 15 Day IL (Hip strain), Drew Pomeranz: 15 Day IL (Elbow/flexor), José Castillo: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Robert Suarez: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Joe Musgrove: 15 Day IL (Toe), Adrian Morejon: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Eguy Rosario: 60 Day IL (Ankle)
- Diamondbacks: Kyle Lewis: 10 Day IL (Illness), Carson Kelly: 10 Day IL (Forearm), Zach Davies: 15 Day IL (Oblique), Joe Mantiply: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Cole Sulser: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Mark Melancon: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Corbin Martin: 60 Day IL (Lat), Jose Herrera: day-to-day (Head)