Table of Contents
The AL-leading Tampa Bay Rays (24-6) host the NL-leading Pittsburgh Pirates (20-10) on Wednesday at 6:40 PM ET. The Rays are favored (-213) against the underdog Pirates (+177). Shane McClanahan takes the mound first for Tampa Bay, and Mitch Keller is Pittsburgh’s choice to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Rays vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Wednesday, May 3, 2023
- Game Time: 6:40 PM ET
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Stadium: Tropicana Field
How Do I Watch the Rays vs. the Pirates?
- TV Channel: BSSUN
Rays Stats & Trends
- The Tampa Bay Rays average 2.1 home runs per game and have hit a league-best 62 home runs in total.
- Tampa Bay’s .280 batting average leads MLB.
- The Rays have a league-high .352 on-base percentage.
- Tampa Bay strikes out 8.4 times per game to rank 13th in MLB.
- The Rays have hit 30 homers at home this season (1.8 per game).
- Tampa Bay is averaging 3.9 extra-base hits per game while slugging .501 at home.
- The team is batting .265 with 145 hits (8.5 per game) at home this season.
Rays Key Batters
- Randy Arozarena leads Tampa Bay in slugging percentage (.570) thanks to 13 extra-base hits. He has a .325 batting average and an on-base percentage of .388.
- Among all qualifying hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks ninth, his on-base percentage ranks 24th, and he is 14th in slugging.
- Arozarena will look for his fifth straight game with a hit in this contest. In his last five games he is hitting .261 with a double, two home runs, a walk and four RBI.
- Yandy Diaz leads Tampa Bay with 30 hits and an OBP of .431 this season. He’s batting .316 and slugging .579.
- His batting average ranks 14th among qualified players, his on-base percentage sixth, and his slugging percentage 12th.
- Wander Franco has collected 34 base hits, an OBP of .373 and a slugging percentage of .540 this season.
- Franco takes a two-game hitting streak into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .238 with a home run, two walks and four RBI.
- Josh Lowe has been key for Tampa Bay with 26 hits, an OBP of .398 plus a slugging percentage of .618.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates’ 34 home runs rank 13th in Major League Baseball.
- Pittsburgh has a team batting average of .261 this season, which ranks sixth among MLB teams.
- The Pirates have an OBP of .342 this season, which ranks third in MLB.
- Pittsburgh is one of the best teams in baseball at making contact this season, ranking sixth with an average of 7.9 strikeouts per game.
- In 17 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 22 homers, an average of 1.3 per contest.
- Pittsburgh has a team slugging percentage of .461 in away games this season with 67 extra-base hits.
- In 17 road games this season, they have a batting average of .266 while averaging 9.3 base hits per contest.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has a .585 slugging percentage, which paces the Pirates. He’s batting .330 with an on-base percentage of .372.
- Including all the qualified hitters in MLB, he ranks seventh in batting average, 46th in on-base percentage and 11th in slugging percentage.
- Reynolds enters this matchup on a seven-game hitting streak. In his last 10 games he is batting .353 with seven doubles, six walks and six RBI.
- Andrew McCutchen is batting .247 with five doubles, five home runs and 17 walks. He’s slugging .462 with an on-base percentage of .360.
- He is currently 101st in batting average, 57th in on-base percentage and 62nd in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters.
- Carlos Santana is batting .267 with nine doubles, two home runs and 13 walks.
- Connor Joe’s 25 hits and .392 OBP both lead his team.
Rays vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers
|Shane McClanahan (TB)||Pitcher||Mitch Keller (PIT)|
|5 – 0||W/L||3 – 0|
Rays vs. Pirates Injury Updates
- Rays: Tyler Glasnow: 15 Day IL (Oblique), Jeffrey Springs: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Shane Baz: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Shawn Armstrong: 60 Day IL (Neck), Andrew Kittredge: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Josh Fleming: day-to-day (Foot), Pete Fairbanks: day-to-day (Undisclosed)
- Pirates: Rob Zastryzny: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Chase De Jong: 15 Day IL (Knee), Wil Crowe: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Oneil Cruz: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Ji-Man Choi: 60 Day IL (Achilles), Jarlin García: 60 Day IL (Arm), Max Kranick: 60 Day IL (Elbow), JT Brubaker: 60 Day IL (Elbow)