Table of Contents
The Detroit Tigers (19-21) have a 1-0 series lead and will go for a sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates (22-20) on Wednesday at Comerica Park. The Tigers are favored (-151) against the underdog Pirates (+130) in the matchup, which begins at 1:10 PM ET. Detroit’s Eduardo Rodriguez and Pittsburgh’s Rich Hill will start this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Tigers vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Wednesday, May 17, 2023
- Game Time: 1:10 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
How Do I Watch the Tigers vs. the Pirates?
- TV Channel: MLB Network
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers have hit 31 home runs this season, the third-lowest total in baseball.
- Detroit is 24th in MLB with a .232 batting average.
- The Tigers are last in MLB with an on-base percentage of .296.
- Detroit strikes out 9.1 times per game to rank 16th in MLB.
- The Tigers have hit 17 homers at home this season (0.9 per game).
- Detroit has a .378 slugging percentage and is averaging 2.7 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team averages 8.3 hits per game and is batting .244 at home this season.
Tigers Key Batters
- Javier Baez is batting .254 with six doubles, three home runs and eight walks. He has an on-base percentage of .310 while slugging .359.
- Among all qualified hitters in baseball, his batting average ranks 95th, his on-base percentage ranks 124th, and he is 143rd in slugging.
- Baez hopes to build on a five-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .300 with a double and three RBI.
- Riley Greene leads Detroit in OBP (.341), slugging percentage (.411) and total hits (46) this season. He’s batting .291.
- His batting average ranks 33rd among qualified players, his on-base percentage 69th, and his slugging percentage 99th.
- Greene enters this game looking to extend his four-game hit streak. In his last five games he is hitting .429 with three doubles and an RBI.
- Spencer Torkelson has collected 35 base hits, an OBP of .290 and a slugging percentage of .367 this season.
- Zach McKinstry has two home runs, six RBI and a batting average of .275 this season.
- McKinstry brings a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .357 with two walks.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates rank 23rd in Major League Baseball with 40 home runs.
- Pittsburgh ranks 19th in MLB with a .239 team batting average.
- The Pirates have the 16th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.320).
- Pittsburgh ranks 14th in strikeouts per game (8.6) among MLB offenses.
- In 23 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 24 homers, an average of 1 per contest.
- Pittsburgh is slugging .407 in 23 road games this season.
- In 23 road games this season, they have a batting average of .243 while averaging 8.3 base hits per contest.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has racked up a team-best .487 slugging percentage. He’s batting .286 with an on-base percentage of .327.
- Including all qualifying players, he is 40th in batting average, while his on-base percentage is 95th and he is 48th in slugging.
- Andrew McCutchen is batting .246 with five doubles, seven home runs and 21 walks. He’s slugging .459 with an on-base percentage of .354.
- His batting average is 105th among all qualified players, his on-base percentage ranks 54th, and he is 64th in slugging.
- Carlos Santana has 12 doubles, two home runs and 20 walks while batting .241.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is batting .235 with nine doubles, two triples, a home run and 14 walks.
Tigers vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers
|Eduardo Rodríguez (DET)||Pitcher||Rich Hill (PIT)|
|4 – 2||W/L||3 – 3|
Tigers vs. Pirates Injury Updates
- Tigers: Kerry Carpenter: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Trey Wingenter: 15 Day IL (Biceps), Matt Manning: 60 Day IL (Foot), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Beau Brieske: 60 Day IL (Arm), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tarik Skubal: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Pirates: Vince Velásquez: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Rob Zastryzny: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Wil Crowe: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Oneil Cruz: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Ji-Man Choi: 60 Day IL (Achilles), Jarlin García: 60 Day IL (Arm), Max Kranick: 60 Day IL (Elbow), JT Brubaker: 60 Day IL (Elbow)