Table of Contents
Booksmakers give the Houston Astros (24-19) the edge (-230 on the moneyline) to add on to their four-game winning streak when they play the Oakland Athletics (10-35), at +195, on Friday at 8:10 PM ET. Brandon Bielak gets the starting nod for Houston, and Ken Waldichuk is Oakland’s pick to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Friday, May 19, 2023
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
How Do I Watch the Astros vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: SportsNet SW
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros average 0.9 home runs per game to rank 25th in MLB play with 38 total home runs.
- Houston is 16th in MLB with a .244 batting average.
- The Astros are 21st in MLB with an on-base percentage of .312.
- Houston strikes out 8.2 times per game, the seventh-best average in the majors.
- The Astros average 0.9 homers per game when playing at home this season (19 total in home contests).
- Houston is averaging 2.4 extra-base hits per game while slugging .367 at home.
- The club averages 7.9 hits per game and is batting .240 at home this season.
Astros Key Batters
- Yordan Alvarez leads Houston with 39 hits and an OBP of .388 this season. He has a .287 batting average and a slugging percentage of .551.
- Among qualified hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks 39th, his on-base percentage ranks 16th, and he is 11th in slugging.
- Alex Bregman is batting .224 with five doubles, a triple, six home runs and 27 walks. He’s slugging .379 with an on-base percentage of .340.
- His batting average ranks 142nd among qualified players, his on-base percentage 70th, and his slugging percentage 123rd.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .275 with a .444 slugging percentage and 29 RBI this year.
- Tucker enters this game with two games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .350 with three doubles and four RBI.
- Jeremy Pena is batting .259 with a .303 OBP and 22 RBI for Houston this season.
- Pena brings a four-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .350 with a double, a triple, a walk and two RBI.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit 53 homers this season, which ranks 12th in the league.
- Oakland ranks 26th in MLB with a team batting average of just .228.
- The Athletics have an on-base percentage of .310 this season, which ranks 23rd in the league.
- Oakland ranks last in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.4 whiffs per contest.
- They’ve hit 29 homers, an average of 1.5 per game, in 20 road contests this season.
- Oakland has a team slugging percentage of .429 in away games this season with 63 extra-base hits.
- They are averaging 8.5 base hits per game and batting .248 on the road this season.
Athletics Key Batters
- Brent Rooker has racked up an on-base percentage of .408 and has 38 hits, both team-best numbers for the Athletics. He’s batting .295 and slugging .605.
- Including all qualifying hitters, he is 26th in batting average, while his on-base percentage is sixth and he is second in slugging.
- Esteury Ruiz paces his team with a .373 slugging percentage. He has a batting average of .277 with an on-base percentage of .340.
- He is currently 51st in batting average, 70th in on-base percentage and 128th in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters.
- Ryan Noda is hitting .215 with eight doubles, a triple, four home runs and 30 walks.
- Shea Langeliers has three doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 12 walks while batting .226.
Astros vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Brandon Bielak (HOU)||Pitcher||Ken Waldichuk (OAK)|
|0 – 1||W/L||1 – 2|
Astros vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Astros: Jose Altuve: 10 Day IL (Thumb), Michael Brantley: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Jose Urquidy: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Luis Garcia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Lance McCullers Jr.: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Parker Mushinski: 15 Day IL (Spine)
- Athletics: Seth Brown: 10 Day IL (Oblique), Trevor May: 15 Day IL (Personal), Mason Miller: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Paul Blackburn: 15 Day IL (Finger), Dany Jimenez: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Freddy Tarnok: 60 Day IL (Undisclosed), Kirby Snead: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Manny Piña: 60 Day IL (Wrist)