Table of Contents
The Boston Red Sox (24-20) will look to Justin Turner, who is currently on a two-game home run streak, when they take on the San Diego Padres (20-24). The Padres are favored (-170) in this matchup against the Red Sox (+145), which starts at 9:40 PM ET on Friday at PETCO Park. San Diego’s Blake Snell and Boston’s James Paxton pitch first for their squads in this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Padres vs. Red Sox
- Game Day: Friday, May 19, 2023
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: San Diego, California
- Stadium: PETCO Park
How Do I Watch the Padres vs. the Red Sox?
- TV Channel: BSSD
Padres Stats & Trends
- The Padres rank 18th in MLB play with 46 total home runs.
- San Diego ranks last in the majors with a .226 batting average.
- The Padres are 18th in baseball with a .316 on-base percentage.
- San Diego strikes out 8.9 times per game to rank 22nd in baseball.
- The Padres have hit 27 homers at home this season (1.1 per game).
- San Diego has a .411 slugging percentage and is averaging 3.0 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team averages 8.1 hits per game and is batting .247 at home this season.
Padres Key Batters
- Juan Soto leads San Diego with 39 hits and an OBP of .402 this season. He has a .252 batting average and a slugging percentage of .471.
- Among all qualified hitters, he is 95th in batting average, his on-base percentage ranks seventh, and he is 55th in slugging.
- Xander Bogaerts has hit six homers this season while driving in 16 runs. He’s batting .275 this season and slugging .431 with an on-base percentage of .374.
- Among all qualifying players, he is 58th in batting average, 28th in on-base percentage and 78th in slugging percentage.
- Bogaerts has picked up a hit in six straight games. In his last 10 outings he is batting .250 with three doubles, six walks and two RBI.
- Jake Cronenworth is batting .220 with a .393 slugging percentage and 16 RBI this year.
- Cronenworth enters this game with two games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .158 with a triple, a home run, three walks and two RBI.
- Manny Machado has five home runs, 19 RBI and a batting average of .231 this season.
Red Sox Stats & Trends
Red Sox Batting
- The Red Sox rank 10th in Major League Baseball with 55 home runs.
- Boston ranks second in MLB with a .272 team batting average.
- The Red Sox have an on-base percentage of .342 this season, which ranks second in the league.
- Boston has shown good bat-to-ball skills at the plate this season with the fifth-best strikeout rate (7.8 per game) among MLB offenses.
- They have averaged 1.2 home runs per game in their 18 road contests this season.
- In 18 road games this season, it is slugging .401 with 55 hits going for extra bases.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .235 with 7.8 base hits per contest.
Red Sox Key Batters
- Alex Verdugo has a team-high .497 slugging percentage. He’s batting .305 with an on-base percentage of .380.
- Including all qualifying players in the big leagues, he is 16th in batting average, 22nd in on-base percentage and 40th in slugging percentage.
- Verdugo heads into this matchup on a four-game hitting streak. During his last five outings he is batting .313 with three doubles and two walks.
- Masataka Yoshida leads his team with a .381 on-base percentage. He has a batting average of .300 while slugging .500.
- Including all qualified players, his batting average puts him 22nd, his on-base percentage is 21st, and he is 37th in slugging.
- Rafael Devers is leading the Red Sox with 44 hits.
- Turner is hitting .280 with nine doubles, five home runs and 20 walks.
Padres vs. Red Sox Probable Pitchers
|Blake Snell (SD)||Pitcher||James Paxton (BOS)|
|1 – 5||W/L||0 – 0|
Padres vs. Red Sox Injury Updates
- Padres: Luis Campusano: 10 Day IL (Thumb sprain), David Dahl: 10 Day IL (Quadricep), Jose Azocar: 10 Day IL (Elbow), Nabil Crismatt: 15 Day IL (Hip strain), José Castillo: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Drew Pomeranz: 60 Day IL (Elbow/flexor), Robert Suarez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Adrian Morejon: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Eguy Rosario: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Seth Lugo: day-to-day (Calf), Manny Machado: day-to-day (Hand)
- Red Sox: Christian Arroyo: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Yu Chang: 10 Day IL (Hand), Kutter Crawford: 15 Day IL (Knee), John Schreiber: 15 Day IL (Side), Garrett Whitlock: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Zack Kelly: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Adam Duvall: 60 Day IL (Wrist), Wyatt Mills: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Trevor Story: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Adalberto Mondesi: 60 Day IL (Knee), Alex Verdugo: day-to-day (Groin)