Table of Contents
The Houston Astros (26-19) carry a six-game win streak into a home matchup against the Oakland Athletics (10-37) on Sunday at 2:10 PM ET. The Astros are favored (-351) over the Athletics (+283). Houston has Framber Valdez starting, and Oakland will counter with James Kaprielian.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Sunday, May 21, 2023
- Game Time: 2:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
How Do I Watch the Astros vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: SportsNet SW
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros average 0.9 home runs per game to rank 25th in MLB play with 40 total home runs.
- Houston’s .246 batting average ranks 15th in the majors.
- The Astros rank 20th in MLB with a .314 on-base percentage.
- Houston strikes out 8.1 times per game to rank sixth in the majors.
- The Astros average 0.9 homers per home game this season (21 total at home).
- Houston is slugging .374 with 2.5 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team is batting .243 with 191 hits (8.0 per game) at home this season.
Astros Key Batters
- Yordan Alvarez has 42 hits and an OBP of .385, both of which rank first among Houston hitters this season. He has a .292 batting average and a slugging percentage of .569.
- Among all qualifying hitters in MLB, he ranks 27th in batting average, 18th in on-base percentage, and sixth in slugging.
- Alvarez hopes to build on a two-game hitting streak in this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .316 with two doubles, a home run, two walks and four RBI.
- Kyle Tucker has nine doubles, seven home runs and 22 walks. He’s batting .281 and slugging .469 with an on-base percentage of .360.
- Among all qualified, he is 44th in batting average, 43rd in on-base percentage and 55th in slugging percentage.
- Tucker heads into this game looking to extend his four-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is batting .350 with three doubles, a home run, a walk and seven RBI.
- Alex Bregman is batting .224 with a .371 slugging percentage and 22 RBI this year.
- Bregman enters this game with three games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is batting .389 with a double, two home runs, two walks and six RBI.
- Jeremy Pena has six home runs, 22 RBI and a batting average of .253 this season.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit 53 homers this season, which ranks 13th in the league.
- Oakland has a team batting average of just .228 this season, which ranks 27th among MLB teams.
- The Athletics have the 23rd-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.309).
- Oakland is a team with a lot of swing and miss this season, ranking last with an average of 9.5 strikeouts per game.
- In 22 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 29 homers, an average of 1.3 per contest.
- Oakland has a team slugging percentage of .415 in away games this season with 65 extra-base hits.
- They are averaging 8.4 base hits per game and batting .247 on the road this season.
Athletics Key Batters
- Brent Rooker has a team-high OBP (.400), and paces the Athletics in hits (40). He’s batting .292 and slugging.
- Including all qualified hitters, he is 27th in batting average, while his on-base percentage ranks ninth and he is fifth in slugging.
- Esteury Ruiz paces his team with a .378 slugging percentage. He has a batting average of .286 with an on-base percentage of .350.
- He is 41st in batting average, 56th in on-base percentage and 123rd in slugging percentage in the big leagues.
- Ryan Noda is batting .221 with nine doubles, a triple, four home runs and 31 walks.
- Shea Langeliers is batting .221 with four doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 13 walks.
Astros vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Framber Valdez (HOU)||Pitcher||James Kaprielian (OAK)|
|3 – 4||W/L||0 – 3|
Astros vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Astros: Michael Brantley: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Jose Urquidy: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Luis Garcia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Lance McCullers Jr.: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Parker Mushinski: 15 Day IL (Spine)
- Athletics: Seth Brown: 10 Day IL (Oblique), Trevor May: 15 Day IL (Personal), Zach Jackson: 15 Day IL (Undisclosed), Drew Rucinski: 15 Day IL (Illness), Mason Miller: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Paul Blackburn: 15 Day IL (Finger), Dany Jimenez: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Freddy Tarnok: 60 Day IL (Undisclosed), Kirby Snead: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Manny Piña: 60 Day IL (Wrist), Ken Waldichuk: day-to-day (Calf)