Table of Contents
The St. Louis Cardinals (39-53) and the Washington Nationals (37-55) play on Sunday at 2:15 PM ET with the series tied 1-1. The Cardinals are favored (-190) to win the rubber match against the Nationals (+160). Jack Flaherty starts for St. Louis while Washington will counter with Josiah Gray.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cardinals vs. Nationals
- Game Day: Sunday, July 16, 2023
- Game Time: 2:15 PM ET
- Location: St. Louis, Missouri
- Stadium: Busch Stadium
How Do I Watch the Cardinals vs. the Nationals?
- TV Channel: BSMW
Cardinals Stats & Trends
- The Cardinals are seventh-best in MLB play with 126 total home runs.
- St. Louis has the 11th-ranked batting average in the majors (.255).
- The Cardinals are eighth in baseball with a .329 on-base percentage.
- St. Louis strikes out 8.4 times per game to rank 12th in MLB.
- The Cardinals average 1.4 homers per game when playing at home this season (61 total in home contests).
- St. Louis is slugging .442 with 3.1 extra-base hits per game in home contests.
- The club averages 9.2 hits per game and is batting .268 at home this season.
Cardinals Key Batters
- Nolan Arenado leads St. Louis with 96 hits, batting .283 this season with 39 extra-base hits. He has an on-base percentage of .332 and a slugging percentage of .522.
- Among qualifying hitters in MLB, he ranks 24th in batting average, 72nd in on-base percentage, and 10th in slugging.
- Paul Goldschmidt is slashing .283/.368/.471 this season and leads the Cardinals with an OPS of .839.
- He ranks 24th in batting average, 19th in on-base percentage and 43rd in slugging among qualifying hitters.
- Brendan Donovan leads St. Louis in OBP (.368) this season, fueled by 80 hits.
- Donovan brings a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .217 with a triple, a home run and six RBI.
- Nolan Gorman has been key for St. Louis with 65 hits, an OBP of .313 plus a slugging percentage of .456.
Nationals Stats & Trends
- The Nationals rank 28th in Major League Baseball with just 80 home runs as a team.
- Washington ranks fifth in MLB with a .261 team batting average.
- The Nationals have the 18th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.317).
- Washington is the best at avoiding strikeouts in MLB this season with only 650 as a team.
- They have averaged 1 home runs per game in their 45 road contests this season.
- Washington is slugging .398 in 45 road games this season.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .257 with nine base hits per contest.
Nationals Key Batters
- Lane Thomas has racked up an on-base percentage of .346, a slugging percentage of .493, and has 109 hits, all club-bests for the Nationals (while batting .300).
- He is 11th in batting average, 44th in on-base percentage and 25th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters in the majors.
- Thomas brings a four-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .227 with a double, a walk and two RBI.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .260 with 27 doubles, two triples, 13 home runs and 30 walks. He’s slugging .477 with an on-base percentage of .336.
- He is currently 69th in batting average, 60th in on-base percentage and 37th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters.
- Luis Garcia is batting .269 with 12 doubles, four triples, five home runs and 20 walks.
- Joey Meneses is batting .286 with 21 doubles, a triple, six home runs and 22 walks.
Cardinals vs. Nationals Probable Pitchers
|Jack Flaherty (STL)||Pitcher||Josiah Gray (WSH)|
|6 – 5||W/L||6 – 7|
Cardinals vs. Nationals Injury Updates
- Cardinals: Andrew Knizner: 10 Day IL (Groin), Tommy Edman: 10 Day IL (Wrist), Drew VerHagen: 15 Day IL (Hip), Ryan Helsley: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Adam Wainwright: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Jake Woodford: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Packy Naughton: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Tyler O’Neill: 60 Day IL (Back), Wilking Rodriguez: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Jordan Montgomery: day-to-day (Leg)
- Nationals: Victor Robles: 10 Day IL (Back), Israel Pineda: 10 Day IL (Finger), Carl Edwards Jr.: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Thad Ward: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Stephen Strasburg: 60 Day IL (Ribs/shoulder), Tanner Rainey: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Cade Cavalli: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Victor Arano: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Jeimer Candelario: day-to-day (Thumb)