Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (61-56) will attempt for a sweep of the Toronto Blue Jays (65-54) on Sunday at Rogers Centre. The Cubs lead 2-0, but are underdogs (+113) against the Blue Jays (-134) in the matchup, which starts at 1:37 PM ET. Hyun-Jin Ryu starts for Toronto while Chicago will counter with Jameson Taillon.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Blue Jays vs. Cubs
- Game Day: Sunday, August 13, 2023
- Game Time: 1:37 PM ET
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Stadium: Rogers Centre
How Do I Watch the Blue Jays vs. the Cubs?
- TV Channel: MLB Network
Blue Jays Stats & Trends
Blue Jays Batting
- The Blue Jays are 15th in MLB action with 137 total home runs.
- Toronto is fifth in the majors with a .259 batting average.
- The Blue Jays’ .329 on-base percentage is sixth-best in MLB.
- Toronto strikes out 8.1 times per game, the No. 11 mark in the majors.
- The Blue Jays average one home run per home game this season (58 total at home).
- Toronto is slugging .402 with 2.8 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The club averages 8.3 hits per game and is batting .252 at home this season.
Blue Jays Key Batters
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is hitting .265 with 24 doubles, 18 home runs and 45 walks. He has an on-base percentage of .339 and a slugging percentage of .439.
- Among qualified batters in MLB, he ranks 60th in batting average, 55th in on-base percentage, and 70th in slugging.
- Whit Merrifield is hitting .297 with 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 28 walks, while slugging .426 with an on-base percentage of .343.
- Among qualifying batters, he is 11th in batting average, 47th in on-base percentage and 83rd in slugging percentage.
- Merrifield brings a five-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .364 with a double, a home run and three RBI.
- George Springer has collected 116 base hits, an OBP of .325 and a slugging percentage of .395 this season.
- Matt Chapman has been key for Toronto with 108 hits, an OBP of .346 plus a slugging percentage of .449.
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs’ 142 home runs rank 12th in Major League Baseball.
- Chicago’s .256 batting average is among the best in baseball, ranking ninth in MLB.
- The Cubs have an on-base percentage of .333 this season, which ranks fourth in the league.
- Chicago ranks 22nd with an average of nine strikeouts per game.
- They’ve hit 67 homers, an average of 1.2 per game, in 57 road contests this season.
- Chicago is slugging .407 in 57 road games this season.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .247 with 8.5 base hits per contest.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner has accumulated a team-high .405 slugging percentage. He’s batting .280 with an on-base percentage of .337.
- Including all qualified players, he ranks 28th in batting average, while his on-base percentage is 58th and he is 102nd in slugging.
- Hoerner hopes to build on a five-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .400 with a double, a home run, two walks and an RBI.
- Cody Bellinger’s 108 hits and .380 OBP both lead his team. He has a batting average of .331 while slugging .561.
- He is currently fourth in batting average, 12th in on-base percentage and seventh in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .275 with 35 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs and 41 walks.
- Ian Happ is batting .242 with 23 doubles, two triples, 13 home runs and 79 walks.
Blue Jays vs. Cubs Probable Pitchers
|Hyun-Jin Ryu (TOR)||Pitcher||Jameson Taillon (CHC)|
|0 – 1||W/L||7 – 6|
Blue Jays vs. Cubs Injury Updates
- Blue Jays: Bo Bichette: 10 Day IL (Knee), Kevin Kiermaier: 10 Day IL (Elbow), Jordan Romano: 15 Day IL (Back), Trevor Richards: 15 Day IL (Neck), Hagen Danner: 15 Day IL (Oblique), Adam Cimber: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Otto Lopez: 60 Day IL (Oblique), Chad Green: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Danny Jansen: day-to-day (Hand), Hyun-Jin Ryu: day-to-day (Knee)
- Cubs: Marcus Stroman: 15 Day IL (Hip), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)