Table of Contents
Lawrence Butler leads the Oakland Athletics (42-96) into a matchup with the Toronto Blue Jays (76-62) after he homered twice in a 6-5 loss to the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays are favored (-168) against the Athletics (+143) in this outing, which begins at 9:40 PM ET on Tuesday. Chris Bassitt starts for Toronto while Oakland will counter with Ken Waldichuk.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Blue Jays vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Tuesday, September 5, 2023
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
How Do I Watch the Blue Jays vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: NBCS-CA
Blue Jays Stats & Trends
Blue Jays Batting
- The Blue Jays average 1.2 home runs per game to rank 16th in MLB play with 162 total home runs.
- Toronto’s .260 batting average is fourth-best in the majors.
- The Blue Jays’ .332 on-base percentage is fourth-best in MLB.
- Toronto’s batters strike out 8.0 times per game, the seventh-lowest average in the majors.
- The Blue Jays have hit 94 homers on the road this season (1.3 per game).
- Toronto is averaging 3.2 extra-base hits per game while slugging .432 on the road.
- The team is batting .265 with 688 hits (9.4 per game) on the road this season.
Blue Jays Key Batters
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has 140 hits this season and a team-best OBP of .345. He has a .268 batting average and a slugging percentage of .441.
- He ranks 56th in batting average, 38th in on-base percentage, and 75th in slugging among qualified hitters in baseball.
- Guerrero has picked up at least one hit in two straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .300 with a double, a home run, four walks and three RBI.
- George Springer has 22 doubles, a triple, 17 home runs and 53 walks. He’s batting .258 and slugging .403 with an on-base percentage of .331.
- His batting average is 76th among qualified players, his on-base percentage 69th, and his slugging percentage 107th.
- Springer has picked up at least one hit in four games in a row. During his last five outings he is batting .300 with two doubles, five walks and two RBI.
- Whit Merrifield has collected 142 base hits, an OBP of .331 and a slugging percentage of .406 this season.
- Daulton Varsho has 16 home runs, 51 RBI and a batting average of .220 this season.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics have hit 145 homers this season, which ranks 21st in the league.
- Oakland has a team batting average of just .224 this season, which ranks last among MLB teams.
- The Athletics have an OBP of just .301 this season, which ranks 28th in MLB.
- Oakland ranks 24th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.1 Ks per contest.
- They’ve hit 66 homers, an average of 1.0 per game, in 69 home contests this season.
- Oakland is slugging .359 in 69 home games this season.
- In home games this season, they’re batting .215 with 6.9 base hits per contest.
Athletics Key Batters
- Esteury Ruiz has a slugging percentage of .335, a team-high for the Athletics. He’s batting .249 with an on-base percentage of .304.
- Including all the qualifying hitters in the big leagues, he ranks 99th in batting average, 121st in on-base percentage and 134th in slugging percentage.
- Brent Rooker has collected 96 hits with a .327 OBP to pace his team in both. He has a batting average of .242 while slugging .465.
- His batting average is 110th among all qualified players, his on-base percentage is 78th, and he is 44th in slugging.
- Tony Kemp has 13 doubles, three triples, four home runs and 39 walks while hitting .218.
- Ryan Noda has 19 doubles, a triple, 14 home runs and 66 walks while batting .240.
Blue Jays vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Chris Bassitt (TOR)||Pitcher||Ken Waldichuk (OAK)|
|13 – 7||W/L||2 – 7|
Blue Jays vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Blue Jays: Matt Chapman: 10 Day IL (Finger), Bo Bichette: 10 Day IL (Quadricep), Danny Jansen: 10 Day IL (Finger), Erik Swanson: 15 Day IL (Spine), Adam Cimber: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Hagen Danner: 60 Day IL (Oblique), Otto Lopez: 60 Day IL (Oblique), Brandon Belt: day-to-day (Back)
- Athletics: JJ Bleday: 10 Day IL (Knee), Austin Pruitt: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Freddy Tarnok: 15 Day IL (Calf), Angel Felipe: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Zach Jackson: 60 Day IL (Elbow), James Kaprielian: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Mason Miller: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Richard Lovelady: 60 Day IL (Arm), Drew Rucinski: 60 Day IL (Illness), Yacksel Ríos: 60 Day IL (Finger)