Table of Contents
Nico Hoerner takes a 12-game hitting streak into the Chicago Cubs’ (78-72) matchup against the Pittsburgh Pirates (70-80). The Cubs are the moneyline favorite (-142) for this contest against the Pirates (+120), which starts at 7:40 PM ET on Tuesday at Wrigley Field. Pittsburgh has not named a starter while Chicago is projected to start Javier Assad.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- Game Time: 7:40 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Pirates?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are 14th in MLB play with 178 total home runs.
- Chicago has the 11th-ranked batting average in the majors (.254).
- The Cubs’ .328 on-base percentage is eighth-best in MLB.
- Chicago strikes out 8.6 times per game to rank 15th in baseball.
- The Cubs average 1.2 homers per home game this season (93 total at home).
- Chicago has a .426 slugging percentage and is averaging 2.9 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The club is batting .258 with 643 hits (8.6 per game) at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger leads Chicago in total hits (142) this season while batting .311 with 51 extra-base hits. He has an on-base percentage of .356 and a slugging percentage of .534.
- He is sixth in batting average, 27th in on-base percentage, and eighth in slugging among qualifying batters in MLB.
- Hoerner has hit nine homers this season while driving in 64 runs. He’s batting .288 this season and slugging .392 with an on-base percentage of .347.
- Among all qualified, he ranks 12th in batting average, 38th in on-base percentage and 110th in slugging percentage.
- Hoerner brings a 12-game streak with at least one hit into this contest. In his last 10 games he is batting .381 with a double, three walks and two RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago in OBP (.360) this season, fueled by 132 hits.
- Happ has picked up a hit in four straight games. In his last five games he is hitting .400 with two doubles, a home run, three walks and an RBI.
- Dansby Swanson is batting .249 with a .329 OBP and 74 RBI for Chicago this season.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates have hit just 146 homers this season, which ranks 27th in the league.
- Pittsburgh has a team batting average of just .236 this season, which ranks 27th among MLB teams.
- The Pirates have the 23rd-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.312).
- Pittsburgh ranks 21st in strikeouts per game (8.8) among MLB offenses.
- In 72 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 80 homers, an average of 1.1 per contest.
- In 72 road games this season, it is slugging .392 with 224 hits going for extra bases.
- They are averaging 7.8 base hits per game and batting .229 on the road this season.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has put up a slugging percentage of .474 and has 144 hits, both team-best numbers for the Pirates. He’s batting .272 and with an on-base percentage of .333.
- Including all the qualified hitters in the majors, his batting average puts him 41st, his on-base percentage ranks 58th, and he is 37th in slugging.
- Reynolds hopes to build on a four-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .333 with two home runs, three walks and six RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .270 with 26 doubles, seven triples, 13 home runs and 27 walks. He’s slugging .446 with an on-base percentage of .310.
- Including all qualifying hitters, his batting average puts him 48th, his on-base percentage is 110th, and he is 66th in slugging.
- Jack Suwinski is batting .214 with 20 doubles, a triple, 25 home runs and 70 walks.
- Connor Joe is hitting .232 with 27 doubles, four triples, 10 home runs and 46 walks.
Cubs vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers
|Javier Assad (CHC)||Pitcher||(PIT)*|
|3 – 3||W/L||–|
Cubs vs. Pirates Injury Updates
- Cubs: Jeimer Candelario: 10 Day IL (Back), Michael Fulmer: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Adbert Alzolay: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Nick Madrigal: day-to-day (Hamstring)
- Pirates: Andrew McCutchen: 10 Day IL (Achilles), Vince Velásquez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Angel Perdomo: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tucupita Marcano: 60 Day IL (Knee), Oneil Cruz: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Jarlin García: 60 Day IL (Arm), JT Brubaker: 60 Day IL (Elbow)