Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (79-72) are looking for Nico Hoerner to continue a 13-game hitting streak when they square off against the Pittsburgh Pirates (70-81) on Wednesday at 7:40 PM ET at Wrigley Field. The Cubs are favored (-172) over the Pirates (+145). Chicago’s Justin Steele and Pittsburgh’s Mitch Keller pitch first for their squads in this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Pirates
- Game Day: Wednesday, September 20, 2023
- Game Time: 7:40 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Pirates?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are 14th in MLB action with 182 home runs. They average 1.2 per game.
- Chicago has the 11th-ranked batting average in the majors (.254).
- The Cubs are sixth in baseball with an on-base percentage of .329.
- Chicago strikes out 8.6 times per game, the No. 14 mark in the majors.
- The Cubs average 1.3 homers per game when playing at home this season (97 total in home contests).
- Chicago has a .431 slugging percentage and is averaging 3.0 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The team averages 8.6 hits per game and is batting .259 at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger has 143 hits, which leads Chicago hitters this season, while batting .310 with 52 extra-base hits. He has an on-base percentage of .354 and a slugging percentage of .537.
- Among qualified batters, he is seventh in batting average, his on-base percentage ranks 33rd, and he is ninth in slugging.
- Hoerner has an OPS of .740, fueled by an OBP of .348 and a team-best slugging percentage of .392 this season. He’s batting .288.
- Among all qualified, he is 12th in batting average, 40th in on-base percentage and 110th in slugging percentage.
- Hoerner has picked up a hit in 13 straight games. In his last 10 games he is hitting .366 with four walks and three RBI.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago in OBP (.361) this season, fueled by 133 hits.
- Happ has logged a hit or more in five games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .429 with two doubles, a home run, two walks and an RBI.
- Dansby Swanson has been key for Chicago with 132 hits, an OBP of .330 plus a slugging percentage of .426.
- Swanson enters this game on a two-game hitting streak. During his last five outings he is hitting .167 with two doubles, a home run and three RBI.
Pirates Stats & Trends
- The Pirates’ 147 home runs rank 27th in MLB this season.
- Pittsburgh has a team batting average of just .236 this season, which ranks 27th among MLB teams.
- The Pirates have an OBP of .311 this season, which ranks 24th in MLB.
- Pittsburgh ranks 21st with an average of 8.9 strikeouts per game.
- They have averaged 1.1 home runs per game in their 73 road contests this season.
- Pittsburgh is slugging .391 in 73 road games this season.
- They are averaging 7.7 base hits per game and batting .228 on the road this season.
Pirates Key Batters
- Bryan Reynolds has a slugging percentage of .473 and has 144 hits, both team-best numbers for the Pirates. He’s batting .271 and with an on-base percentage of .334.
- Including all the qualified hitters in MLB, he ranks 42nd in batting average, 56th in on-base percentage and 37th in slugging percentage.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is batting .272 with 26 doubles, seven triples, 14 home runs and 27 walks. He’s slugging .454 with an on-base percentage of .311.
- His batting average ranks 39th among all qualified players, his on-base percentage ranks 111th, and he is 58th in slugging.
- Jack Suwinski is hitting .215 with 20 doubles, a triple, 25 home runs and 70 walks.
- Connor Joe is batting .232 with 27 doubles, four triples, 10 home runs and 46 walks.
Cubs vs. Pirates Probable Pitchers
|Justin Steele (CHC)||Pitcher||Mitch Keller (PIT)|
|16 – 4||W/L||12 – 9|
Cubs vs. Pirates Injury Updates
- Cubs: Jeimer Candelario: 10 Day IL (Back), Nick Madrigal: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Michael Fulmer: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Adbert Alzolay: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Pirates: Vince Velásquez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Angel Perdomo: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Oneil Cruz: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Tucupita Marcano: 60 Day IL (Knee), Andrew McCutchen: 60 Day IL (Achilles), Jarlin García: 60 Day IL (Arm), JT Brubaker: 60 Day IL (Elbow)