Table of Contents
The Atlanta Falcons (2-0) visit the Detroit Lions (1-1) at Ford Field on Sunday, September 24, 2023.
The Lions had the fifth-best offense last season in terms of points scored (26.6 points per game), but they ranked fifth-worst on defense (25.1 points allowed per game). The Falcons totaled 21.5 points per game on offense last season (15th in NFL), and they allowed 22.7 points per game (23rd) on the defensive side of the ball.
Lions vs. Falcons Picks
A majority of Splash Inc. users project the Falcons will earn an upset victory against the Lions on Sunday, with 22.0% of users picking them to emerge with a victory. Against the spread, 64.2% of users are picking the Lions to cover the 3-point line.
Game Info: Lions vs. Falcons
- Game Day: Sunday, September 24, 2023
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Ford Field
Detroit is a 3-point favorite against Atlanta on Sunday and the over/under has been set at 46 points. Keep reading for a few betting insights and trends if you are planning on making a wager on the matchup.
Game Trends for Lions
- The Lions compiled a 12-5-0 ATS record last year.
- The Lions covered the spread once last season (1-1 ATS) when playing as at least 3-point favorites.
- Last season, the combined scoring went over the point total 10 times in Lions games.
Stats & Insights for Lions
- Last year, the Lions put up 3.9 more points per game (26.6) than the Falcons surrendered (22.7).
- The Lions were 9-3 against the spread and 6-6 overall in games when they put up over 22.7 points last season.
- Last year the Falcons had a 7-6 record against the spread and a 6-7 record overall in games when they held opponents to fewer than 26.6 points.
- The Lions averaged only 17.9 more yards per game (380) than the Falcons allowed per outing (362.1) last year.
- In games that the Lions amassed over 362.1 yards last year, the team was 6-3 against the spread and 4-5 overall.
- The Falcons had a -6 record ATS and a – record overall when holding their opponents to less than 380 yards last year.
- Last year the Lions racked up 128.2 yards per game on the ground, just two fewer yards than the Falcons allowed per contest (130.2).
- Last year the Lions had a 6-1 ATS record and a 4-3 overall record in games the team ran for more than 130.2 yards.
- When the Falcons kept their opponents to less than 128.2 rushing yards last season, they were -3 against the spread and – overall.
- Last season the Lions had 15 turnovers, two fewer than the Falcons had takeaways (17).
Best Players for Lions
- Jared Goff: 4,438 PASS YDS / 261.1 YPG / 65.1% / 29 TD / 7 INT
- David Montgomery: 201 CAR / 801 YDS / 50.1 YPG / 5 TD / 34 REC / 316 YDS / 19.8 YPG / 1 TD
- Zonovan Knight: 85 CAR / 300 YDS / 42.9 YPG / 1 TD / 13 REC / 100 YDS / 14.3 YPG / 0 TD
- Amon-Ra St. Brown: 106 REC / 1,161 YDS / 72.6 YPG / 6 TD
- Kalif Raymond: 47 REC / 616 YDS / 36.2 YPG / 0 TD
- Marvin Jones Jr.: 46 REC / 529 YDS / 33.1 YPG / 3 TD
- Alex Anzalone: 125 TKL / 7 TFL / 1.5 SACK / 1 INT / 6 PD
Game Trends for Falcons
- Against the spread, the Falcons were 9-8-0 last year.
- The Falcons went 5-3 as underdogs of 3 points or more last season.
- In 17 Falcons games last season, seven of them went over the total.
Stats & Insights for Falcons
- Last year the Falcons racked up 3.6 fewer points per game (21.5) than the Lions gave up (25.1).
- The Falcons were 6-1 against the spread and 5-2 overall in games when they scored over 25.1 points last year.
- Last season the Lions had a 6-0 record against the spread and a 6-0 record overall in games when they held opponents to fewer than 21.5 points.
- The Falcons averaged 73.8 fewer yards per game (318.6) than the Lions allowed (392.4) per contest last season.
- In games that the Falcons totaled over 392.4 yards last season, the team was 1-1 against the spread and 1-1 overall.
- The Lions had a -0 record ATS and a – record overall when holding their opponents to fewer than 318.6 yards last season.
- The Falcons rushed for 159.9 yards per game last season, 13.4 more than the 146.5 the Lions allowed per outing.
- The Falcons had a 8-3 ATS record and a 6-5 overall record when the team rushed for more than 146.5 yards last year.
- Last year, the Lions were -2 against the spread and – overall when holding opponents to fewer than 159.9 rushing yards.
- The Falcons turned the ball over 21 times last year, one fewer times than the Lions forced turnovers (22).
Best Players for Falcons
- Desmond Ridder: 708 PASS YDS / 177 YPG / 63.5% / 2 TD / 0 INT / 16 CAR / 64 RUSH YDS / 0 TD
- Tyler Allgeier: 210 CAR / 1,035 YDS / 64.7 YPG / 3 TD / 16 REC / 139 YDS / 8.7 YPG / 1 TD
- Cordarrelle Patterson: 144 CAR / 695 YDS / 53.5 YPG / 8 TD / 21 REC / 122 YDS / 9.4 YPG / 0 TD
- Drake London: 72 REC / 866 YDS / 50.9 YPG / 4 TD
- Mack Hollins: 57 REC / 690 YDS / 40.6 YPG / 4 TD
- Kyle Pitts: 28 REC / 356 YDS / 35.6 YPG / 2 TD
- Richie Grant: 122 TKL / 3 TFL / 2 INT / 7 PD