Table of Contents
The Oakland Athletics (47-107) will look to Brent Rooker, who is riding a three-game home run streak, when they play the Detroit Tigers (72-82). The Tigers are moneyline favorites (-161) in this matchup with the Athletics (+137), which begins at 4:07 PM ET on Saturday at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. Joey Wentz takes the mound first for Detroit, and Joe Boyle is Oakland’s pick to start.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Tigers vs. Athletics
- Game Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Game Time: 4:07 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
How Do I Watch the Tigers vs. the Athletics?
- TV Channel: NBCS-CA
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers are 25th in MLB action with 156 total home runs.
- Detroit’s .234 batting average ranks 28th in MLB.
- The Tigers are 28th in baseball with a .301 on-base percentage.
- Detroit strikes out 9.2 times per game, the No. 23 mark in the majors.
- The Tigers average 1.1 homers per road game this season (87 total on the road).
- Detroit is averaging 2.8 extra-base hits per game while slugging .379 on the road.
- The team averages 7.8 hits per game and is batting .229 away from home this season.
Tigers Key Batters
- Spencer Torkelson has 133 hits to go with a slugging percentage of .443, both of which lead Detroit hitters this season. He has a .232 batting average and an on-base percentage of .312.
- Among all qualifying batters in the majors, his batting average ranks 119th, his on-base percentage ranks 107th, and he is 67th in slugging.
- Kerry Carpenter has 17 doubles, two triples, 20 home runs and 29 walks. He’s batting .289 and slugging .496 with an on-base percentage of .348.
- Matt Vierling has 117 hits this season and a team-best OBP of .327.
- Zach McKinstry is batting .226 with a .300 OBP and 32 RBI for Detroit this season.
Athletics Stats & Trends
- The Athletics rank 20th in Major League Baseball with 165 home runs.
- Oakland has a team batting average of just .223 this season, which ranks last among MLB teams.
- The Athletics have an on-base percentage of .299 this season, which ranks 29th in the league.
- Oakland ranks 24th in strikeouts per game (9.2) among MLB offenses.
- They have averaged 1 home runs per game in their 79 home contests this season.
- Oakland has a team slugging percentage of .359 in home games this season with 197 extra-base hits.
- In 79 home games this season, they have a batting average of .215 while averaging 6.9 base hits per contest.
Athletics Key Batters
- Rooker has racked up an on-base percentage of .325 and has 105 hits, both team-best numbers for the Athletics. He’s batting .241 and slugging .487.
- Including all qualified hitters in the big leagues, he ranks 111th in batting average, 77th in on-base percentage and 30th in slugging percentage.
- Rooker enters this game on a three-game hitting streak. In his last five games he is hitting .313 with four home runs, a walk and six RBI.
- Esteury Ruiz leads his team with a .338 slugging percentage. He has a batting average of .251 with an on-base percentage of .306.
- Tony Kemp is batting .209 with 13 doubles, three triples, five home runs and 44 walks.
- Ryan Noda has 21 doubles, a triple, 15 home runs and 73 walks while hitting .234.
Tigers vs. Athletics Probable Pitchers
|Joey Wentz (DET)||Pitcher||Joe Boyle (OAK)|
|3 – 10||W/L||0 – 0|
Tigers vs. Athletics Injury Updates
- Tigers: Matt Manning: 15 Day IL (Foot), Mason Englert: 15 Day IL (Hip), Alex Faedo: 15 Day IL (Finger), Andrew Vasquez: 15 Day IL (Calf), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tyler Alexander: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Riley Greene: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Eduardo Rodríguez: day-to-day (Back)
- Athletics: JJ Bleday: 10 Day IL (Knee), Austin Pruitt: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Angel Felipe: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Zach Jackson: 60 Day IL (Elbow), James Kaprielian: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Sean Newcomb: 60 Day IL (Knee), Freddy Tarnok: 60 Day IL (Calf), Drew Rucinski: 60 Day IL (Illness), Richard Lovelady: 60 Day IL (Arm), Yacksel Ríos: 60 Day IL (Finger)