Table of Contents
The Houston Astros (102-53) host the Arizona Diamondbacks (71-84) at 8:10 PM ET on Wednesday in a battle between two pitchers with top-10 ERAs. Justin Verlander (1.82 ERA) takes the mound for the favored Astros (-189), and the underdog Diamondbacks (+159) will send out Zac Gallen (2.46 ERA). Houston sends Verlander (17-4) out for his 27th start of the season, while Gallen (12-3) makes his 30th start of the year for Arizona.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, coworkers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Diamondbacks
- Game Day: Wednesday, September 28, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros rank fourth in MLB play with 207 home runs. They average 1.3 per game.
- The Astros rank 13th in MLB with a .247 batting average.
- The Astros rank seventh in baseball with a .320 on-base percentage.
- The Astros strike out 7.3 times per game to rank second in baseball.
- The Astros average 1.5 homers per game when playing at home this season (109 total in home contests).
- The Astros are averaging 3.2 extra-base hits per game while slugging .449 at home.
- The team is batting .255 with 608 hits (8.2 per game) at home this season.
Astros Key Batters
- Yordan Alvarez leads Houston in OBP (.407) and total hits (136) this season.
- Among the qualified hitters in the majors, Alvarez’s batting average ranks seventh, his on-base percentage ranks third, and he is second in slugging.
- Alvarez hopes to build on a four-game hitting streak in this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .357 with four walks and two RBI.
- Alex Bregman has 38 doubles, 22 home runs and 84 walks while hitting .263.
- Among qualified hitters, Bregman’s batting average ranks him 58th, his on-base percentage 15th, and his slugging percentage 39th.
- Bregman brings a two-game streak with at least one hit into this contest. In his last five games he is batting .167 with a home run, two walks and three RBI.
- Jose Altuve leads Houston in slugging percentage (.529) powered by 63 extra-base hits.
- Kyle Tucker has been key for Houston with 137 hits, an OBP of .337 plus a slugging percentage of .487.
Diamondbacks Stats & Trends
- The Diamondbacks have hit 169 homers this season, which ranks 14th in the league.
- The Diamondbacks rank 27th in MLB with a team batting average of just .229.
- The Diamondbacks have an OBP of .304 this season, which ranks 24th in MLB.
- The Diamondbacks rank 12th in strikeouts per game (8.3) among MLB offenses.
- They’ve hit 98 homers, an average of 1.3 per game, in 74 road contests this season.
- In 74 road games this season, they’re slugging .398 with 223 hits going for extra bases.
- They are averaging 7.6 base hits per game and batting .226 on the road this season.
Diamondbacks Key Batters
- Christian Walker has racked up a slugging percentage of .476 and has 130 hits, both team-best marks for the Diamondbacks.
- Including all qualifying players, Walker ranks 108th in batting average, while his on-base percentage ranks 72nd and he is 25th in slugging.
- Daulton Varsho is batting .240 with 22 doubles, three triples, 27 home runs and 45 walks.
- Varsho is currently 101st in batting average, 107th in on-base percentage and 46th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters.
- Ketel Marte has 42 doubles, two triples, 12 home runs and 55 walks while hitting .242.
- Josh Rojas’ .346 on-base percentage paces his team.
Astros vs. Diamondbacks Probable Pitchers