Table of Contents
The Washington Nationals (10-17) meet the Chicago Cubs (14-13) after Joey Meneses had a four-hit showing in a 7-2 win over the Pirates. The Cubs are favored (-142) in this matchup with the Nationals (+121), which begins at 7:05 PM ET on Monday. Chicago’s Drew Smyly and Washington’s MacKenzie Gore will start this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Nationals
- Game Day: Monday, May 1, 2023
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Stadium: Nationals Park
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Nationals?
- TV Channel: MASN
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs are eighth-best in MLB action with 37 total home runs.
- Chicago’s .276 batting average is second-best in the majors.
- The Cubs rank second in baseball with a .347 on-base percentage.
- Chicago strikes out 8.3 times per game to rank seventh in the majors.
- The Cubs have hit 16 homers away from home this season (1.5 per game).
- Chicago is slugging .486 with 3.6 extra-base hits per game on the road.
- The team averages 11.1 hits per game and is batting .301 away from home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago with a slugging percentage of .437, fueled by eight extra-base hits. He has a .328 batting average and an on-base percentage of .367.
- Among all qualifying hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks seventh, his on-base percentage ranks 46th, and he is 76th in slugging.
- Hoerner hopes to build on a six-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last 10 outings he is batting .295 with a triple, two home runs, two walks and 13 RBI.
- Cody Bellinger has five doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 10 walks. He’s batting .297 and slugging .604 with an on-base percentage of .371.
- Among qualified batters, his batting average ranks him 30th, his on-base percentage 41st, and his slugging percentage seventh.
- Bellinger heads into this game looking to extend his four-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is batting .278 with a double, a triple, two home runs, two walks and four RBI.
- Patrick Wisdom leads Chicago with 23 hits. He is batting .250 this season and 15 of his hits have gone for extra bases.
- Wisdom enters this matchup with two games in a row with at least one hit. In his last five games he is batting .214 with a home run, four walks and two RBI.
- Ian Happ has two home runs, 14 RBI and a batting average of .292 this season.
Nationals Stats & Trends
- The Nationals have hit just 15 homers this season, which ranks last in the league.
- Washington’s .253 batting average ranks 12th in the majors this season.
- The Nationals have an on-base percentage of .321 this season, which ranks 14th in the league.
- Washington has the fewest strikeouts in MLB, fanning only 7.0 times per game on average.
- They have averaged 0.4 home runs per game in their 14 home contests this season.
- Washington is slugging .336 in 14 home games this season.
- They are averaging 8.4 base hits per game and batting .249 as a team at home this season.
Nationals Key Batters
- Jeimer Candelario has racked up 26 hits, a team-high for the Nationals. He’s batting .239 and slugging .404 with an on-base percentage of .292.
- Including all qualifying hitters, he ranks 119th in batting average, while his on-base percentage is 150th and he is 103rd in slugging.
- Keibert Ruiz has 26 hits to pace his team. He has a batting average of .292 while slugging .404 with an on-base percentage of .364.
- He is currently 34th in batting average, 49th in on-base percentage and 103rd in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters.
- Luis Garcia is hitting .222 with two doubles, a triple, two home runs and five walks.
- Victor Robles’ .374 on-base percentage paces his team.
Cubs vs. Nationals Probable Pitchers
|Drew Smyly (CHC)||Pitcher||MacKenzie Gore (WSH)|
|2 – 1||W/L||3 – 1|
Cubs vs. Nationals Injury Updates
- Cubs: Jameson Taillon: 15 Day IL (Groin), Brandon Hughes: 15 Day IL (Knee), Kyle Hendricks: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Nationals: Ildemaro Vargas: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Corey Dickerson: 10 Day IL (Calf), Israel Pineda: 10 Day IL (Finger), Carter Kieboom: 10 Day IL (Finger), Stephen Strasburg: 60 Day IL (Ribs/shoulder), Tanner Rainey: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Cade Cavalli: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Victor Arano: 60 Day IL (Shoulder)