Table of Contents
Yordan Alvarez takes an 11-game hitting streak into the Houston Astros’ (21-19) matchup with the Chicago Cubs (19-21). The Astros are favored (-185) for this contest against the Cubs (+157), which begins at 8:10 PM ET on Monday at Minute Maid Park. Houston’s Framber Valdez and Chicago’s Jameson Taillon will start this matchup.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Astros vs. Cubs
- Game Day: Monday, May 15, 2023
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
How Do I Watch the Astros vs. the Cubs?
- TV Channel: SportsNet SW
Astros Stats & Trends
- The Astros rank 25th in MLB play with 35 total home runs.
- Houston is 20th in MLB with a .238 batting average.
- The Astros’ .307 on-base percentage is 23rd in baseball.
- Houston strikes out 8.1 times per game to rank sixth in the majors.
- The Astros have hit 16 home runs at home this season (0.8 per game).
- Houston has a .339 slugging percentage and is averaging 2.0 extra-base hits per game at home.
- At home this season the club averages 7.4 hits per game and is batting .227.
Astros Key Batters
- Alvarez has 36 hits and an OBP of .388, both of which rank first among Houston hitters this season. He has a .288 batting average and a slugging percentage of .568.
- Among all qualified batters in the majors, he ranks 34th in batting average, 18th in on-base percentage, and sixth in slugging.
- Alvarez hopes to build on an 11-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last 10 games he is hitting .342 with three doubles, three home runs, three walks and 10 RBI.
- Kyle Tucker is hitting .271 with six doubles, six home runs and 21 walks, while slugging .443 with an on-base percentage of .358.
- Among qualifying hitters, his batting average ranks him 56th, his on-base percentage 47th, and his slugging percentage 69th.
- Tucker enters this game looking to extend his four-game hit streak. During his last five outings he is hitting .278 with two doubles, a walk and two RBI.
- Alex Bregman has 31 hits this season and has a slash line of .204/.320/.322.
- Bregman has picked up a hit in two games in a row. During his last five outings he is hitting .200 with two walks.
- Jeremy Pena has been key for Houston with 39 hits, an OBP of .303 plus a slugging percentage of .431.
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 12th in Major League Baseball with 48 home runs.
- Chicago has a team batting average of .266 this season, which ranks fourth among MLB teams.
- The Cubs have an OBP of .340 this season, which ranks second in MLB.
- Chicago ranks 13th in strikeouts per game (8.8) among MLB offenses.
- In 18 games on the road this season, they’ve hit 22 homers, an average of 1.2 per contest.
- Chicago has a team slugging percentage of .439 in away games this season with 58 extra-base hits.
- In away games this season, they’re batting .274 with 9.7 base hits per contest.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger is batting .270 with nine doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 14 walks. He’s slugging .496 with an on-base percentage of .338.
- He is 58th in batting average, 71st in on-base percentage and 39th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters in the big leagues.
- Ian Happ has a .425 on-base percentage to pace his team. He has a batting average of .303 while slugging .465.
- Including all qualified players, his batting average puts him 19th, his on-base percentage ranks fifth, and he is 57th in slugging.
- Patrick Wisdom is leading the Cubs with 29 hits.
- Dansby Swanson is batting .275 with 11 doubles, three home runs and 26 walks.
Astros vs. Cubs Probable Pitchers
|Framber Valdez (HOU)||Pitcher||Jameson Taillon (CHC)|
|3 – 4||W/L||0 – 2|
Astros vs. Cubs Injury Updates
- Astros: Jose Altuve: 10 Day IL (Thumb), Michael Brantley: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Luis Garcia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Jose Urquidy: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Lance McCullers Jr.: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Parker Mushinski: 15 Day IL (Spine)
- Cubs: Nico Hoerner: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Adrian Sampson: 15 Day IL (Right meniscus), Kyle Hendricks: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)