Table of Contents
The Toronto Blue Jays (49-41) and the Detroit Tigers (39-49) square off on Sunday at 1:40 PM ET with the series tied 1-1. The Blue Jays are favored (-131) to take the rubber match against the Tigers (+111). Toronto has Chris Bassitt starting, while Detroit will send out Tarik Skubal.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Blue Jays vs. Tigers
- Game Day: Sunday, July 9, 2023
- Game Time: 1:40 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
How Do I Watch the Blue Jays vs. the Tigers?
- TV Channel: BSDET
Blue Jays Stats & Trends
Blue Jays Batting
- The Blue Jays are 16th in baseball with 101 total home runs.
- Toronto ranks sixth in the majors with a .259 batting average.
- The Blue Jays are 10th in MLB with an on-base percentage of .326.
- Toronto’s batters strike out 8.0 times per game, the sixth-fewest strikeouts in MLB.
- The Blue Jays have hit 59 homers away from home this season (1.2 per game).
- Toronto has a .420 slugging percentage and is averaging 3.1 extra-base hits per game away from home.
- On the road this season the club averages 9.2 hits per game and is batting .260.
Blue Jays Key Batters
- Bo Bichette leads Toronto with 121 hits and an OBP of .347, plus a team-best slugging percentage of .499. He’s batting .318.
- Among qualifying hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks fourth, his on-base percentage ranks 40th, and he is 23rd in slugging.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is batting .276 with 19 doubles, 13 home runs and 30 walks. He’s slugging .447 with an on-base percentage of .345.
- His batting average is 38th among qualified players, his on-base percentage 43rd, and his slugging percentage 60th.
- Whit Merrifield is batting .284 with a .392 slugging percentage and 38 RBI this year.
- Matt Chapman is batting .258 with a .340 OBP and 39 RBI for Toronto this season.
Tigers Stats & Trends
- The Tigers have hit 81 homers this season, which ranks 25th in the league.
- Detroit has a team batting average of just .229 this season, which ranks 29th among MLB teams.
- The Tigers are among the worst in the league at getting on base, ranking 26th with an OBP of .300.
- Detroit ranks 17th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 8.9 Ks per contest.
- In 44 games at home this season, they’ve hit 38 homers, an average of 0.9 per contest.
- Detroit has a team slugging percentage of .373 in home games this season with 115 extra-base hits.
- In home games this season, they’re batting .240 with 8.0 base hits per contest.
Tigers Key Batters
- Spencer Torkelson has racked up a team-best slugging percentage (.399) and leads the Tigers in hits (74). He’s batting .226 and with an on-base percentage of .307.
- Including all qualified players in the majors, he is 128th in batting average, 115th in on-base percentage and 101st in slugging percentage.
- Torkelson heads into this matchup on a four-game hitting streak. During his last five outings he is hitting .190 with a double, a triple, a walk and two RBI.
- Zach McKinstry leads his team with a .326 on-base percentage. He has a batting average of .246 while slugging .369.
- His batting average ranks 101st among all qualified players, his on-base percentage is 81st, and he is 132nd in slugging.
- Matt Vierling is hitting .282 with eight doubles, two triples, seven home runs and 21 walks.
- Javier Baez is hitting .221 with 11 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 13 walks.
Blue Jays vs. Tigers Probable Pitchers
|Chris Bassitt (TOR)||Pitcher||Tarik Skubal (DET)|
|8 – 5||W/L||0 – 0|
Blue Jays vs. Tigers Injury Updates
- Blue Jays: Zach Pop: 15 Day IL (Hamstring), Adam Cimber: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Chad Green: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Hyun-Jin Ryu: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Tigers: Will Vest: 15 Day IL (Leg), Matthew Boyd: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Tyler Alexander: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Trey Wingenter: 60 Day IL (Biceps), Spencer Turnbull: 60 Day IL (Neck), Austin Meadows: 60 Day IL (Anxiety), Casey Mize: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Freddy Pacheco: 60 Day IL (Elbow)