Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (43-49) and the Washington Nationals (37-56) meet on Monday at 8:05 PM ET. The Cubs are favored on the moneyline (-146) against the underdog Nationals (+124). Chicago’s Drew Smyly starts against Washington’s MacKenzie Gore.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Nationals
- Game Day: Monday, July 17, 2023
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Nationals?
- TV Channel: MARQ
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 21st in MLB play with 100 total home runs.
- Chicago has the 17th-ranked batting average in MLB (.247).
- The Cubs’ .326 on-base percentage is 10th-best in baseball.
- Chicago strikes out 9.2 times per game, the No. 22 mark in baseball.
- The Cubs average 1.1 homers per game when playing at home this season (50 total in home contests).
- Chicago is slugging .398 with 2.5 extra-base hits per game at home.
- The club averages 8.4 hits per game and is batting .251 at home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago in slugging percentage (.380) thanks to 24 extra-base hits. He has a .273 batting average and an on-base percentage of .325.
- Among all qualifying batters in the majors, his batting average ranks 42nd, his on-base percentage ranks 87th, and he is 120th in slugging.
- Hoerner hopes to build on a three-game hitting streak in this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .150 with a triple, two walks and four RBI.
- Cody Bellinger has 13 doubles, a triple, 12 home runs and 21 walks. He’s batting .301 and slugging .524 with an on-base percentage of .358.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago in OBP (.373) this season, fueled by 78 hits.
- Christopher Morel is batting .271 with a .324 OBP and 39 RBI for Chicago this season.
- Morel enters this game on a three-game hitting streak. During his last five outings he is batting .278 with two walks and two RBI.
Nationals Stats & Trends
- The Nationals have hit just 81 homers this season, which ranks 29th in the league.
- Washington has a team batting average of .260 this season, which ranks sixth among MLB teams.
- The Nationals have the 18th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.317).
- Washington has the fewest strikeouts in MLB, fanning only 7.1 times per game on average.
- They’ve hit 44 homers, an average of 1.0 per game, in 46 road contests this season.
- Washington is slugging .397 in 46 road games this season.
- They are averaging 8.9 base hits per game and batting .254 on the road this season.
Nationals Key Batters
- Lane Thomas has a team-best OBP (.348) and slugging percentage (.490), while leading the Nationals in hits (109, while batting .299).
- Including all the qualified players in MLB, his batting average is 11th, his on-base percentage is 38th, and he is 27th in slugging.
- Jeimer Candelario has 27 doubles, two triples, 13 home runs and 30 walks while hitting .260. He’s slugging .477 with an on-base percentage of .336.
- He is currently 70th in batting average, 61st in on-base percentage and 38th in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters.
- Luis Garcia is hitting .265 with 12 doubles, four triples, five home runs and 20 walks.
- Joey Meneses is batting .282 with 21 doubles, a triple, six home runs and 22 walks.
Cubs vs. Nationals Probable Pitchers
|Drew Smyly (CHC)||Pitcher||MacKenzie Gore (WSH)|
|7 – 6||W/L||4 – 7|
Cubs vs. Nationals Injury Updates
- Cubs: Dansby Swanson: 10 Day IL (Heel), Nick Madrigal: 10 Day IL (Hamstring), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Adrian Sampson: 60 Day IL (Knee), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Nationals: Victor Robles: 10 Day IL (Back), Israel Pineda: 10 Day IL (Finger), Carl Edwards Jr.: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Thad Ward: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Stephen Strasburg: 60 Day IL (Ribs/shoulder), Tanner Rainey: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Cade Cavalli: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Victor Arano: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Jeimer Candelario: day-to-day (Thumb)