Table of Contents
Ian Happ takes a 10-game hitting streak into the Chicago Cubs’ (72-63) matchup against the Cincinnati Reds (70-67). The Cubs are favored on the moneyline (-112) for this outing against the Reds (-107), which starts at 6:40 PM ET on Saturday at Great American Ball Park. Javier Assad starts for Chicago while Cincinnati will counter with Andrew Abbott.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Reds
- Game Day: Saturday, September 2, 2023
- Game Time: 6:40 PM ET
- Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Stadium: Great American Ball Park
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Reds?
- TV Channel: BSOH
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 14th in MLB play with 162 total home runs.
- Chicago’s .252 batting average ranks 14th in MLB.
- The Cubs rank seventh in baseball with a .328 on-base percentage.
- Chicago’s 8.8 strikeouts per game rank 19th in baseball.
- The Cubs average 1.1 home runs per game when playing on the road this season (77 total in road outings).
- Chicago is slugging .405 with 3.1 extra-base hits per game in road contests.
- The team averages 8.5 hits per game and is batting .245 on the road this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger leads Chicago with 127 hits and an OBP of .366 this season. He has a .320 batting average and a slugging percentage of .549.
- Among all qualifying hitters in the majors, his batting average ranks sixth, his on-base percentage ranks 19th, and he is eighth in slugging.
- Bellinger has picked up at least one hit in three games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .300 with two home runs, a walk and six RBI.
- Nico Hoerner leads Chicago in slugging percentage (.394) thanks to 37 extra-base hits. He’s batting .281 with an on-base percentage of .342.
- Among qualified hitters, his batting average ranks him 21st, his on-base percentage 41st, and his slugging percentage 111th.
- Happ is batting .246 with a .424 slugging percentage and 67 RBI this year.
- Happ has picked up a hit in 10 straight games. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .342 with five doubles, three home runs, four walks and 10 RBI.
- Jeimer Candelario has been key for Chicago with 120 hits, an OBP of .341 plus a slugging percentage of .475.
Reds Stats & Trends
- The Reds rank 18th in Major League Baseball with 155 home runs.
- Cincinnati’s .247 batting average ranks 18th in the majors this season.
- The Reds have the 14th-ranked on-base percentage in MLB this season (.323).
- Cincinnati ranks just 28th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.4 whiffs per contest.
- They have averaged 1.3 home runs per game in their 67 home contests this season.
- In 67 home games this season, it is slugging .413 with 193 hits going for extra bases.
- In home games this season, they’re batting .241 with 7.9 base hits per contest.
Reds Key Batters
- Spencer Steer has totaled 131 hits with a .353 on-base percentage and a .449 slugging percentage, all club-highs for the Reds. He’s batting .267.
- He is 56th in batting average, 31st in on-base percentage and 61st in slugging percentage among all qualifying hitters in the big leagues.
- TJ Friedl is batting .268 with 20 doubles, five triples, 11 home runs and 32 walks. He’s slugging .422 with an on-base percentage of .332.
- Including all qualifying hitters, he is 51st in batting average, 64th in on-base percentage and 89th in slugging percentage.
- Hunter Renfroe is hitting .239 with 31 doubles, 19 home runs and 39 walks.
- Jake Fraley has 16 doubles, 15 home runs and 33 walks while hitting .269.
Cubs vs. Reds Probable Pitchers
|Javier Assad (CHC)||Pitcher||Andrew Abbott (CIN)|
|3 – 2||W/L||8 – 4|
Cubs vs. Reds Injury Updates
- Cubs: Marcus Stroman: 15 Day IL (Rib), Michael Fulmer: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Brad Boxberger: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Reds: Ben Lively: 10 Day IL (Covid-19), Hunter Greene: 10 Day IL (Covid-19), Joey Votto: 10 Day IL (Shoulder), Curt Casali: 10 Day IL (Foot), Jonathan India: 10 Day IL (Heel), Matt McLain: 10 Day IL (Oblique), Fernando Cruz: 10 Day IL (Covid-19), Kevin Newman: 10 Day IL (Oblique), Alex Young: 15 Day IL (Hamstring), Nick Lodolo: 60 Day IL (Calf), Reiver Sanmartin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Connor Overton: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Vladimir Gutierrez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Dunn: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Graham Ashcraft: day-to-day (Toe)