Table of Contents
The Chicago Cubs (78-71) will look to Nico Hoerner, who is currently on an 11-game hitting streak, when they play the Arizona Diamondbacks (78-72). The Cubs are favored (-118) for this outing against the Diamondbacks (-101), which begins at 7:10 PM ET on Sunday at Chase Field. Chicago’s Jordan Wicks gets the start against Arizona’s Ryne Nelson.
It’s time to get your parents, spouse, co-workers, third cousin and mailman together again. MLB pools are back! Hit your own home run with RunYourPool today.
Start here >
Game Info, Betting Lines for Cubs vs. Diamondbacks
- Game Day: Sunday, September 17, 2023
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona
- Stadium: Chase Field
How Do I Watch the Cubs vs. the Diamondbacks?
- TV Channel: ESPN
Cubs Stats & Trends
- The Cubs rank 14th in MLB play with 178 home runs. They average 1.2 per game.
- Chicago ranks 11th in MLB with a .254 batting average.
- The Cubs are sixth in MLB with an on-base percentage of .329.
- Chicago’s 8.6 strikeouts per game rank 15th in baseball.
- The Cubs average 1.1 homers per road game this season (85 total away from home).
- Chicago has a .409 slugging percentage and is averaging 3.1 extra-base hits per game away from home.
- The team averages 8.7 hits per game and is batting .250 away from home this season.
Cubs Key Batters
- Cody Bellinger leads Chicago with 142 hits and an OBP of .359 this season. He has a .313 batting average and a slugging percentage of .539.
- Among qualifying hitters in baseball, he ranks sixth in batting average, 24th in on-base percentage, and seventh in slugging.
- Hoerner has hit nine homers this season while driving in 64 runs. He’s batting .287 this season and slugging .392 with an on-base percentage of .346.
- Among all qualifying hitters, he is 13th in batting average, 39th in on-base percentage and 111th in slugging percentage.
- Hoerner heads into this game looking to extend his 11-game hit streak. During his last 10 outings he is batting .372 with a double, two walks and two RBI.
- Ian Happ is batting .242 with a .413 slugging percentage and 72 RBI this year.
- Happ takes a three-game hitting streak into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .263 with a double, a home run, four walks and an RBI.
- Dansby Swanson has been key for Chicago with 129 hits, an OBP of .330 plus a slugging percentage of .420.
Diamondbacks Stats & Trends
- The Diamondbacks rank 21st in Major League Baseball with 159 home runs.
- Arizona has a team batting average of .251 this season, which ranks 14th among MLB teams.
- The Diamondbacks have an on-base percentage of .322 this season, which ranks 14th in the league.
- Arizona is one of the best teams in baseball at making contact this season, ranking fifth with an average of 7.8 strikeouts per game.
- In 75 games at home this season, they’ve hit 77 homers, an average of 1 per contest.
- Arizona is slugging .427 in 75 home games this season.
- In 75 home games this season, they have a batting average of .259 while averaging 8.6 base hits per contest.
Diamondbacks Key Batters
- Corbin Carroll has a team-high OBP (.359) and slugging percentage (.505), while leading the Diamondbacks in hits (146, while batting .281).
- Including all the qualified players in the big leagues, he is 19th in batting average, 24th in on-base percentage and 16th in slugging percentage.
- Carroll brings a three-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .174 with an RBI.
- Christian Walker is hitting .261 with 35 doubles, a triple, 30 home runs and 59 walks. He’s slugging .496 with an on-base percentage of .338.
- He is currently 78th in batting average, 50th in on-base percentage and 21st in slugging percentage among all qualified hitters.
- Ketel Marte has racked up a team-high .476 slugging percentage.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. has 33 doubles, two triples, 24 home runs and 32 walks while batting .263.
Cubs vs. Diamondbacks Probable Pitchers
|Jordan Wicks (CHC)||Pitcher||Ryne Nelson (ARI)|
|3 – 0||W/L||7 – 8|
Cubs vs. Diamondbacks Injury Updates
- Cubs: Jeimer Candelario: 10 Day IL (Back), Michael Fulmer: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Adbert Alzolay: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Brandon Hughes: 60 Day IL (Knee), Nick Burdi: 60 Day IL (Appendicitis), Ethan Roberts: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Codi Heuer: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
- Diamondbacks: Tommy Henry: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drey Jameson: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Austin Adams: 60 Day IL (Ankle), Dominic Fletcher: 60 Day IL (Finger), Mark Melancon: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Corbin Martin: 60 Day IL (Lat)