Table of Contents
The NBA In-Season Tournament is an exciting addition to the basketball calendar, set to debut in the 2023-24 season. Similar to the World Cup, this tournament offers fans a unique opportunity to engage with the NBA season in a new and exhilarating way.
In-Season Tournament pools add another layer of excitement and competition, allowing fans to test their basketball knowledge by predicting team performances and the outcome of knockout games. In this article, we’ll guide you on how to participate and enjoy the NBA In-Season Tournament pools.
Understanding the NBA In-Season Tournament Format
The NBA In-Season Tournament consists of two main stages: Group Play and the Knockout Rounds. Here’s a breakdown of the key elements of the tournament:
- Group Play:
- 30 NBA teams are divided into six groups, each containing five teams.
- Teams within each group engage in a round-robin tournament, playing against each other.
- At the end of the group stage, the top 8 teams, based on their performance in the round-robin matches, advance to the Knockout Round.
- Knockout Round:
- The Knockout Round features the final 8 teams from the Group Play.
- These teams compete in a single-elimination bracket format.
- Participants in In-Season Tournament pools predict the outcomes of the knockout games in the bracket.
Playing in an NBA In-Season Tournament Pool
Now that you understand the basics of the tournament, here’s how to participate in In-Season Tournament pools:
- Pool Format:
- Pool Commissioners have the option to include both the Group and Knockout Stage or limit their pool to just the Knockout Stage.
- Most pools include the Group Stage, as it adds more excitement and variation to the picks.
- Predicting Group Play:
- For the Group Stage, pool members predict the finishing positions of each team in all the groups.
- Points are awarded for correct predictions. Point values for correct team rankings in each group can be configured by the Pool Commissioner.
- Predicting the Knockout Stage:
- In the Knockout Stage, members pick the outcomes of all 8 games in the bracket.
- Points are awarded for correct picks in the knockout stage.
- Importantly, participants pick the actual teams that qualify for the bracket play AFTER the Group Stage is completed.
- Point System:
- The point values for both the Group and Knockout Stage can be configured by the Pool Commissioner. Typically, more points are awarded for correct predictions in the Group Stage to incentivize careful team ranking selections.
- The ultimate objective in an In-Season Tournament pool is to accumulate the most points by the end of the tournament.
Advantages of Joining an NBA In-Season Tournament Pool
Playing in an In-Season Tournament pool offers several advantages:
- Easy Participation:
- No need for paper forms or email exchanges. Members can conveniently log in to the pool’s website to make their picks.
- Automated Updates:
- Pool standings are automatically updated, eliminating the need to calculate standings and resolve errors.
- Access to Reports:
- The pool platform typically provides various reports and updates, keeping members engaged and informed throughout the tournament.
The NBA In-Season Tournament and corresponding pools provide fans with a fresh and exciting way to experience the NBA season. Engaging in the Group Play predictions and the Knockout Stage bracket picks adds a layer of strategy and competition to the mix.
Whether you’re a casual fan or a die-hard basketball enthusiast, participating in an In-Season Tournament pool is a great way to test your basketball knowledge, have fun with friends, and enjoy the thrilling competition within the NBA’s newest annual tradition. So, gather your friends, create your pool, and get ready to embark on an unforgettable NBA journey.
What Does the In-Season Tournament Mean?
The NBA In-Season Tournament is the regular season tournament held during the NBA season, with 2023-24 being the first year it is implemented. The format is similar to the WNBA’s Commissioner’s Cup.
What Trophy Will the In-Season Tournament Champion Receive?
The winner of the In-Season Tournament will win the NBA Cup. However, the perhaps more enticing prize is that the winning team will receive an extra $500K.
What is the Purpose of the In-Season Tournament?
The purpose behind the In-Season Tournament, at its core, is to stop the star player’s resting in so many games. The NBA is trying to make playing in regular season games more enticing for players, so adding a tournament in the regular season gives added stipulations to certain games.
How to make a sports pool?
Starting a sports pool is easy with RunYourPool! We have fully customizable settings, dedicated customer support, and we make it easy to invite friends so you can compete against them.
What is a sports pool?
Sports pools are games to play with family and friends. With RunYourPool, all you need to do is pick your sport, pick one of our game types, set up your pool, and compete!
How do I invite people to my pool?
Inviting friends to your pool is easy with RYP! We provide you with a custom link that you can send out to anyone you would like. We also have a connections feature to allow you to easily invite members to join your pool.
Who can play in a sports pool?
Anyone can play in a pool on RunYourPool! With our array of game types throughout multiple sports, there's an option for everyone.
How much does RunYourPool cost?
Our pricing tiers are determined by how many members you have in your pool. We have three tiers; Amateur, Pro, and Front Office. Our pricing page provides a breakdown of all three options!
Is RunYourPool legal?
RunYourPool is 100% legal. We do not allow any illegal entry fees or gambling on our website.