America is a country of great sports rivalries. There’s nothing like rooting for a team. You become part of the game, a member of a community of like-minded people all pulling in the same direction. The NFL football experience is even more exciting when you have a team to root for. You feel the solidarity of being part of a larger whole, and you can’t help but get caught up in the excitement. Whether your team is winning or losing, you’re constantly invested in the outcome.
For many fans, choosing a team to support is easy. If you’re born into a family of devout fans, you’ll be a fan of that team for life. This is especially true in the NFL, where certain teams have diehard followings that span generations. If you were born into a Steeler Nation family, chances are you will die a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. That’s just the way it is.
But suppose you’re one of those unfortunate people who doesn’t have a hometown team to support in the NFL season. You want to pick a team to support, but you don’t know how. It’s a question that has divided families and led to lifelong simmering resentments: how do you choose a football team to support?
You may be forced to ask yourself tough questions like, “Which team has the best chance of winning?” or “Do I just want to root for Tom Brady?” Sometimes, we even have to consider which city has the best food. Tough choices, but somebody has to make them. Ultimately, you just have to trust your gut and go with your heart. After all, that’s what being a fan is all about.
How to Pick Your Favorite NFL Team Without Looking Like a Fool
Well, here’s a guide on how to pick an NFL team to support. Simply begin by asking yourself the following questions:
- Which team is closest to your current location? For many people, their team allegiance is determined by their geographic location. This can lead to intense rivalries, especially in areas where multiple teams compete for attention. If you live in Indianapolis, it makes sense to root for the Colts. If you live in Tennessee, you probably should cheer for the Titans. If you just moved to Baltimore….well, you’re a Ravens fan now. And if you live in New York, well… you have a couple of options (the New York Giants and the New York Jets… good luck navigating that rivalry).
Here’s a state-by-state guide to NFL team hometowns:
- Which team has the most Super Bowl wins? Let’s be honest: winning is what it’s all about in the NFL. If you want to back a winner, you should throw your support behind the team with the most Lombardi Trophies. Right now, that would be a tie between the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers, Cowboys, and Broncos are all close behind with eight appearances in the Super Bowl.
- But remember that you must choose a team you can commit to for the long haul. That way, even when they’re struggling, you’ll still be there to support them. So ask yourself: Which team do you see yourself rooting for, day in and day out? Maybe it’s the Kansas City Chiefs or the Buffalo Bills. The answer to that question is your best bet for finding a squad worth cheering for – no matter what their record is (looking at you, Cleveland Browns).
- Which team has the most exciting history? The NFL is a league with a long and storied history. Teams have been around for decades, and each has a unique story. Some teams are known for their toughness and grit, others for their role in shaping the league, and others for their pursuit of perfection. Some are known as underdogs, who rarely make the playoffs. But no matter their story, each team has a place in the rich history of the NFL.
If you’re looking for a team with a rich heritage, consider researching the Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Rams, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, or the Arizona Cardinals.
- Are you a family-first kind of guy? If your father or your aunt is a huge American football fan, you have a head start picking your favorite team. After all, woe betides the son that picks a rival team to his father. If Dad likes the Denver Broncos or the Chargers, you may want to avoid choosing the Raiders. You may want to opt into your family legacy and pick your family’s team as your own to root for. Of course, you could always buck tradition and choose your own team – but be prepared for some heated family arguments come game day.
The Definitive, Scientific Way to Choose an NFL Team
- Which NFL team has the best mascot? Do you want to cheer for an intimidating animal like a bear or lion (or maybe a raider)? Or would you prefer something more whimsical, like a dolphin or eagle? There’s no question that NFL mascots are vital to the fan experience. From the ferocious to the adorable, these creatures help to shape our perceptions of the teams we love (and sometimes hate).
With so many different mascots to choose from, it can be tough to decide which team is the best. Here’s a breakdown of a few famous mascots to help you make your decision:
- The Chicago Bears have one of the most intimidating mascots in the NFL. Their furry namesake is known for being fierce and powerful, and their fans are some of the most loyal in the league.
- In terms of the sheer intimidation factor, few mascots can match the Minnesota Vikings. With its horns, fur, and muscular build, Viktor the Viking is the perfect embodiment of the team’s hard-hitting style of play.
- The Detroit Lions also have a fierce animal mascot, but their lion is more likely to be found napping than fighting. Still, their fans are passionate about their team and always come out to support them – even when losing.
- The Miami Dolphins have a cute and friendly mascot representing the team’s coastal location. They also used to be one of the most successful teams in the NFL, so you can feel good about cheering for them.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have a majestic bird for a mascot, and their fans are just as proud as their feathered friend. They’re known for being diehard supporters and always bringing plenty of energy to their team’s games.
- Who looks better running out of the entry tunnel? There is one group of fans who take the matter of team selection very seriously: those who choose based on who looks the coolest. These fans believe how a team looks on the field is just as important as how they perform. But let’s be honest: some NFL teams just look better than others when they take the field. Looking at you, Patrick Mahomes…
So, if you’re ever undecided about which team to support, just ask yourself: which team looks the coolest?
- Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks have one of the most unique and eye-catching uniforms in the NFL. Their vibrant color scheme is impossible to ignore, and their intricate logo is a work of art.
- New England Patriots: The Patriots may not have the most flashy uniforms, but their simple blue and white color scheme is classic and elegant. Their official logo is also one of the most recognizable in sports.
- Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers have one of the most iconic uniform designs in the NFL. Their black and gold color scheme is timeless, and their logo is instantly recognizable.
- Green Bay Packers: The Packers have been wearing their classic green and gold uniforms for over 100 years and show no signs of changing anytime soon. Their logo is also one of the most recognizable in sports.
- Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys’ signature star-shaped logo is recognized around the world, and their silver and blue color scheme is flashy and eye-catching. (They also have one of the most iconic stadiums in all sports.)
By following these simple guidelines, you’ll be sure to pick an NFL team that is right for you… even if it might not be suitable for your family members or friends!
Stick With Your New NFL Team (No Matter What)
You’ve finally taken the plunge and decided to commit to an NFL team. Sure, you may have jumped on the bandwagon a bit late, but better late than never, right? Now that you’ve made your decision, it’s time to prove your loyalty to your team by playing in an NFL pool on RunYourPool.com. Whether you’ve chosen the Houston Texans, the Las Vegas Raiders, or the Jacksonville Jaguars…it’s time to put your money where your mouth is.
No matter how confident you are in your team’s chances, there’s always a risk that they’ll let you down when it matters most. That’s why a little friendly competition can be so fun. If your team does end up winning it all, you’ll have bragging rights for years to come. So what are you waiting for? Sign up today and show everyone who’s boss.